Home Sports Talk
Options

That time Jim Rice saved a boy's life

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

An amazing story.

A look back at the day Jim Rice saved a boy’s life at Fenway Park
“If it was your kid, what would you do?”

Here’s a look back at that day.

It was the fourth inning, with the White Sox ahead, 3-0, and Red Sox second baseman Dave Stapleton rocketed a ball foul over the first base dugout.

Four-year-old Jonathan Keane, sitting two rows above the dugout alongside his father, Tom, and 2-year-old brother, had no time to react. The ball struck him in the face, and Jonathan was immediately in agony.

Tom initially thought the ball hit the dugout, then he looked over and saw his son slouched over, covered in blood, and screaming. Jonathan had a large gash on his forehead, and everyone frantically called for help.

Rice quickly jumped into action, grabbing the boy and holding him in his arms as he ran to the dugout. Team physician Arthur Pappas called Children’s Hospital while the medical team worked on Jonathan. They rushed him to the hospital, where doctors noted that Rice’s quick actions were instrumental in his survival.

“I think he saved my life,” Jonathan told WMUR-TV in 2009. “His reaction, and ability to stay cool in that situation, when really nobody else did anything, was remarkable.”

The Boston Globe‘s Dan Shaughnessy wrote: Rice downplayed his dramatic role. “If it was your kid, what would you do?” he said. “The baby was crying and there was a lot of blood. I think he was more in shock than anything.”

Jonathan, who later graduated from North Carolina State University and became CEO of CustomerHD in Raleigh, North Carolina, has a scar over his left eye but no major lasting side effects. He has no memory of the event, but he threw out the first pitch the next spring and has since reconnected with Rice.

“I’ve hit home runs. I’ve driven in runs,” Rice said. “But as far as something that stands out, it’s probably the picture when I went up into the stands and took the kid out of the stands who was hit by the foul ball.”

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

HOF material right there 👍

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

I had never heard this story until I ran across it earlier today, great stuff. 👍

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

I had never heard this story until I ran across it earlier today, great stuff. 👍

Yep, it doesn't get mentioned enough when Rice comes up

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

Yep, it doesn't get mentioned enough when Rice comes up

I've read that Rice didn't have the rosiest relationship with the media back in the day, so maybe positive stories like this one just didn't fit their narrative of Rice??

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

I heard about this many years ago. Thanks for refreshing the story. He did a great thing.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that is a case where a player entering the stands is the best thing to do!!!

Good on you Jim Ed. Good on you!!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.