Home Sports Talk

football trivia

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 16, 2023 2:07PM in Sports Talk

q: who holds the record for the longest punt in NFL history, and how far was it?

full disclosure: i did not know the answer to these questions. furthermore, i had no idea that my dad went to school with this guy. elementary thru middle school. really tripped me out when he told me that last night.

the only hint you'll receive is that i'm 51 and my dad is 78. that should provide some context.

don't cheat. either you know this or you don't. Santa Claus is watching. 🎅

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

Comments

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Santa, I'm so sorry I cheated. 😢

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the old days, I thought there was someone named O'Neil for 98 yards. I believe it was a very windy day.

Another WAG is Randall Cunningham.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2023 3:00PM

Ray Guy?

Not even going to.guess how long because i.have no idea

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Alfonz24 said:

From the old days, I thought there was someone named O'Neil for 98 yards. I believe it was a very windy day.

winner, winner, chicken parmesan dinner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI1ZAgbM_II

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

So that ball didn’t roll into the end zone? The film cut off before it quit rolling.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:

So that ball didn’t roll into the end zone? The film cut off before it quit rolling.

"The record for longest punt in NFL history is held by Steve O'Neal of the New York Jets. The ball was snapped on the one yard line, but O'Neal made a booming kick, which bounced and rolled all the way to the 1 yard line. After the footage I show cuts off, Denver returner Bill Thompson returns the ball to the two yard line, where he is tackled by a Jets' gunner.

It is the longest possible NFL punt without being a touch back."

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Galaxy.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Ray Guy?

Not even going to.guess how long because i.have no idea

That would of been my guess.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".