Home U.S. Coin Forum

Great Collections Auctions

I am thinking about bidding on some coins on Great Collections. I would like to know if anyone on the forum has bid and bought coins from them? Also what were the good and bad things about your experience? A huge thank you for your input.

Comments

• LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭

I have bought and sold through them multiple times. I am more than pleased with my experiences.

• What about the range of their auction prices? High—-Average—-Low

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Husker73 said:
    What about the range of their auction prices? High—-Average—-Low

Selling duplicate seated quarters, I'd say I come out on the whole as average or maybe a bit above. It all depends on the coin.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crypto said:
    I have done both, bought and sold from them. I struggle to imagine how they could be run better doing what they do. Quick accountable and responsive. Excellent customer service.

Ditto.

Pics will consistently be washed out a bit and toning will be slightly darker in hand.

Auction prices reflect the market which continues to be hot for the time being.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭

Yes. both buying and selling runs the whole gamut. I have sold numerous coins. My split would be 20% sold for more than I expected. 20% sold for less than I expected . 60% of the time coins sold for just what I expected. Same ratios apply to profit/loss.
    Buying coins is a little murkier but again there is a variety of results. I have won coins at prices I would never has guessed, and I have been blown out by bidders who must be far richer than me. 85% of cdn would be the average if I had to make a specific price average. James

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

GC comes highly recommended. I've bought and sold numerous items since their start.

Many happy BST transactions
  • NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Husker73 said:

No such thing. It's a market. If one company was known for high prices, sellers would flock to it and buyers would stay away. The opposite would be true for low prices. As a result, the market figures it out, and you don't have to worry about it.

As others have said, each individual auction is somewhat unique, depending on the item, the demand for it at any given point in time, and just who happens to be bidding on any particular day.

• Am I right that they have a 10 per cent buyers fee on most of their coins? (Pay by check)

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

And how many alternative but similar coins are listed. The more unique and on market target the better it will elicit interest and potentially a bidding war. Common stuff not aligned with market preferences will slide back to wholesale

• justindanjustindan Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only good things here as a buyer/seller.

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can only speak as a buyer as I do not sell coins.
    With that said, I have nothing but high praise for this auction site.
    It is a well-organized site in which I have never had an issue pop-up.
    Coins take about 7-10 days from my payment to receiving the coins.
    Some coins I have overbid on and some I have underbid on.
    This depends on who wants to pay more or less than I do.
    I just calculate my max bid and place it prior to the auction's end.
    Here is my last purchase from GC.

I was very surprised to win this item without coming close to my max bid.
    ( I posted this on another thread recently.)
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Husker73 said:
    Am I right that they have a 10 per cent buyers fee on most of their coins? (Pay by check)

Yes, 10% for check, eCheck or wire, 12.5% otherwise.

I too only have good things to say about GC.

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2023 11:17AM

@Husker73 said:
    Am I right that they have a 10 per cent buyers fee on most of their coins? (Pay by check)

yes. And shipping. And, sometimes, tax depending on what state you're in. Of course, all should be figured into your bid.

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are my favorite.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great experiences with GC. I prefer them over the other options.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Husker73 said:

My experience has been that I can usually win an auction for a lower price than I can get on a similar coin on places like eBay.

Mr_Spud

• goldengolden Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great Collections is the best.

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing but good things to say about GC... B)

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭✭✭

easy peasy

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• AllentramAllentram Posts: 97 ✭✭✭

I'm a low-budget collector who started bidding on GC just this year. Nothing but praise for them. Most of my winnings were below price guide. Best part is that I have received my coins just a couple of days after winning.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2023 1:31PM

I buy and bid on their stuff on a regular basis in procuring retail inventory. Really like them. Super photos / fast ship. The only auc house besides eBay will do business with. They are the best. Did biz with them in the old Teletrade days.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • jt88jt88 Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

they are good. fast ship too.

• marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

No write-ups, zilch, nada, but magically coins fetch 305K easily, with nary a description :D

So yes, as such, highly recommended, great communication, and you'll do great!

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought and sold, preparing to consign with them again, nothing but positive things to say about them. Top notch organization.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2023 4:57PM

As previously indicated above, there are several members who have had great results with Great Collections ( @ianrussell) , and you can count me among them.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

We all wish we could've started a business like Great Collections.

Ian and Raeleen have put a lot of effort into running this auction house smoothly.

• HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only bought one coin but everything went smooth.
    I only have one complaint, the pics are sometimes tough to read. Thus, I’m much more likely to bid on a coin that I actually ‘know’, from prior sells, etc.

• mtnmanmtnman Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

No problem here. Easy to work with.

• breakdownbreakdown Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ian and his team have always emphasized customer service. I have not been a big user but have always had a good experience. They emphasize speed, efficiency and leave off the bells and whistles. I sometimes like some bells and whistles, but your mileage may vary.
    Here are the bells and whistles as I see them:
    1. I like to lot view for my bigger purchases and Stacks and Heritage tend to ship many of their coins to NYC, which presents opportunities. (As an aside, Ian has been known to be accommodating with personalized lot viewing although I doubt he will ship you all the half dollars in an auction, for instance).
    2. GC photos are minimal slab shots but you can always look up TrueViews from the number (if a TV exists for the coin). Heritage and Stacks and Legend emphasize photos more but in the end I don't trust photos from any auction house.
    3. No lot descriptions. GC lets the slab photo and cert number do all the talking. I like auction descriptions from the other auction houses, although they often require much more than a grain of salt.
    4. Catalogs are nice - they give me something to write in when I lot view. They also take up space on my bookshelves. GC doesn't do catalogs (at least that I am aware of).

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've only bought from them as I'm a collector only. It's my go to place for the areas that I'm interested in. NEVER have I had any problems. They got their S### together.

• ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a bidder you have nothing to worry about regarding if they would be high/low/whatever. You pick the price you’re willing to pay (out the door), bid accordingly, and if you win you’re happy. If you lose, the coin sold for more than you were willing to pay and you still have your money.
    I’ve never sold but have bought several times with them and have been happy every time.
    Put in a bid you’re comfortable with and I hope you get the coins!

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been buying and selling with them for years now, the best in my opinion
    The 1st place I'll look for coins

• alefzeroalefzero Posts: 950 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ian set up and runs a top notch operation, that is fair to both consignors and bidders. He came from the California presence (after it moved from Kingston, NY upon acquisition) of Teletrade before B&M acquired them. His involvement in the hobby is robust and positive.

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

I pay on-line with a linked checking account on Sunday after the auction ends. Normally have the coins by the next Friday or earlier. :) Top notch first class company!

GrandAm :)
  • johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great experience.

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

GC is the best thing that’s happened to coin auctions in many years. I buy and sell on GC. Great company. 100% customer focused.

My purchases on eBay have slowed to a crawl the last 5 years or so, while my GC purchases have ramped up. All good from my perspective.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • M4MadnessM4Madness Posts: 182 ✭✭✭

I hate to bump a 7-month old thread, but was wondering about bidding there.

I already have a login there, but have never bid. Do I need to set up a payment method prior to bidding, or does that come after I actually win an auction?

edited July 3, 2024 7:31PM

@M4Madness said:

I already have a login there, but have never bid. Do I need to set up a payment method prior to bidding, or does that come after I actually win an auction?

NO, but in the event you win if you have set up echeck it will go a lot better and faster
    The advantage with echeck is the BP is 10%, if using a CC it's 12.5%

• M4MadnessM4Madness Posts: 182 ✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:

@M4Madness said:

NO, but in the event you win if you have set up echeck it will go a lot better and faster
    The advantage with echeck is the BP is 10%, if using a CC it's 12.5%

Thank you for the quick reply! I've browsed the site a little, but don't recall a place to set up a payment method prior to bidding. I'll dig around a little and see if I can find a page to set up echeck.

It's been so long I don't remember how or where it is,
    Ian?

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you have to contact someone there to set up e-check.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 560 ✭✭✭✭

I know this is an old thread but to riff on a new question - you’ll love GC. I’m at a point where it’s my go to place to buy coins. Just so simple, easy, and intuitive. Once you register they’ll give you a bid limit and you can pay after you’ve won something. As you buy more they’ll probably raise your purchase limit. They also offer a very affordable 90 day payment plan for larger purchases, (over $1k I believe), with their pre-authorization, (at least 24 hours in advance).

No payment method necessary to keep on file beforehand. As others have said, it’s good to set up e-check and save some dough in fees. Credit card purchase done online will be routed through PayPal. You can also call them and give them your CC info to make a payment if you’re opposed to PP for whatever reason. Then they’ll run your card manually outside of PP, like any other merchant.

GC ships rather quickly and has some great staff. I don’t know where you live but keep in mind there on that lousy pacific time thing if you need to reach them. 😉 oh, check out Ian’s interview with Larry King that’s linked on the GC website. It’s quite entertaining.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

Great write up @Jacques_Loungecoque
    I agree with it all
    My place to buy and sell coins

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file