Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

ANOTHER EBAY QUESTION

I listed a card today for a friend of mine. Everything went as normal I thought. My friend calls and says he doesn’t see it and I say its listed. He calls back a couple of hours later and says he sees the rest of my listings but not his card. I go and look at my listings and it is there and when I look at the listing it says your item is for sale, however it does not show in any searches. It shows zero views so it is not listed even though it shows it is in my listings. Anyone have this problem? TIA

Comments

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2023 7:31PM

I had the same issue a little while back. I called eBay because it kept happening with 2 different cards I was listing. I was told to give it a day and the listing should show up. It worked for me. It is an issue that eBay has sometimes. They actually have a name for it but I don't remember what the name is

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Thank you!! :)

• Options
    thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2023 12:11AM

Evening,

1've wondered about this, for the last few months, myself, I have stuff not showing up in searches. Sometimes I'll do a quick list of 15-20 items ,and then wait a little while, hour or so and do searches, and the results are all over the board, some visible in minutes, some take hour (2-8), and then the occasionally ones who are in my inventory (Listed), but can't find in Searches and sometimes a few never appear in searches ever.

Anybody have any rhyme or reason for this? Ideas, Fixes, theory's?

YeeHaw!

Neil

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Right now I've got around 70 listings on Ebay.

This has been going on for a while. When i use best match search, they all show-up on my screen. When I use highest price search, they all show-up on my screen. But when I use lowest price search, only around 25 listings show-up on my screen. It's been doing that for around six months or so, and I have no idea why?

My sales have been consistent. So I'm not in the mood to contact Ebay and some dollar an hour Ebay employee, from some obscure country, plays with the listings and might mess it up further.

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2023 1:07PM

@stevek said:

This has been going on for a while. When i use best match search, they all show-up on my screen. When I use highest price search, they all show-up on my screen. But when I use lowest price search, only around 25 listings show-up on my screen. It's been doing that for around six months or so, and I have no idea why?

I noticed that too, when I search in other people's stores. I type in a search term and get 250 results, for example.
    Then when I sort to lowest price first, the number of results change to a lower number, like 150.
    Then when I change the sorting back to best match, it would return to 250 search results.
    I think it does affect sales, because I for one would sometimes give up, instead of scrolling through a bunch of listings when the sorting doesn't work correctly.

• Options

@RonSportscards said:

@stevek said:

I noticed that too, when I search in other people's stores. I type in a search term and get 250 results, for example.
    Then when I sort to lowest price first, the number of results change to a lower number, like 150.
    Then when I change the sorting back to best match, it would return to 250 search results.
    I think it does affect sales, because I for one would sometimes give up, instead of scrolling through a bunch of listings when the sorting doesn't work correctly.

"I think it does affect sales"

You may very well be right. As we all know, the general buying public usually has a short attention span. They might find our listing, play around with the sort mechanism, then our listing disappears, and they might figure there's something wrong with our listings or whatever, and decide not to buy.

I've been selling on Ebay for over 20 years, and have had glitches before. Just a couple weeks ago in my Ebay home page, all of my feedback that I had left to buyers completely disappeared. The buyer feedback to me was still there, but my feedback to them was gone. I didn't follow it real closely, but I'm guessing it was around a day later it all returned.

So I figured before that this problem with the listings when a buyer sorts by lowest price, would correct itself. But it hasn't for around six months.

As mentioned before, my Ebay sales over the past six months have been consistent. But now you've got me thinking about possibly a number of lost sales because of this glitch, and I'm getting a little bit steamed about it.

• Options

@RonSportscards said:

@stevek said:

BTW - I just checked and found your Ebay store, and in sort for best match, highest price, and lowest price, all three showed exactly 250 listings. So at least for now, you're in good shape. 😊

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

could it be that Ebay is using an algorithm, like google or facebook that is highlighting some listings and leaving some dark? just spitballing here

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    could it be that Ebay is using an algorithm, like google or facebook that is highlighting some listings and leaving some dark? just spitballing here

Could be anything. I also sell on Amazon, so I'm used to the problems, glitches, etc, and believe me, whatever Ebay is in this regard, Amazon is much worse.

• Options

@stevek said:

@RonSportscards said:

@stevek said:

BTW - I just checked and found your Ebay store, and in sort for best match, highest price, and lowest price, all three showed exactly 250 listings. So at least for now, you're in good shape. 😊

That's not me. I don't have an ebay store.

• Options

@craig44 said:

Yes they do that. But they would at least say they do that with:
    "We removed some search results to show you the most relevant listings."
    Then you would have to click see all listings.
    I think it's ridiculous and unfair to the seller as well as the buyer.
    Obviously some sellers are getting preferential treatment. I'm sure some may say, rightfully so.

• Options

@RonSportscards said:

@stevek said:

@RonSportscards said:

@stevek said:

That's not me. I don't have an ebay store.

Well that Ebay store has your first name, has mostly cards, and has exactly 250 listings. So that's quite a coincidence. 😉

• Options

I have had this happen on occasion and what I have found regarding this is that eBay will sometimes hold back listings until they have validated them. Now while I do not think they are actually reviewing anything and even if they did the person reviewing it most likely can't tell the difference between a trading card and a bottle of Dr. Pepper, this is what is supposedly causing this. I have only noticed this happening on my end when listing trading cards in the pick your own formant. They usually let the first one through but if I do more than one a day they seem to hold the others back. When researching this it said it will take 24 hours for the review process and in each case, after 24 hours passes, my listings appear. It is important during this time to not edit your listing or take it down and relist it will goes to the back of the line and can take another 24 hours. None of this makes any sense to me but it has been my consistent experience when this happens.

• Options

Have had this happen in the past with BIN listings that had been up for a while... I would search by key words in the listing title and under my seller name and nothing. Contacted eBay and the reps acknowledged they also could not find them but they couldn't help or offer a solution other than take down and relist.