Home U.S. Coin Forum

Seated Quarters in Rattler Holders

This one popped up on an ebay search and I realized I don't think I've ever seen a seated quarter in a rattler holder before, at least that I remember.

So I did second ebay search and found this one.

A quick heritage search found 6 more, 3 MS and 3 proof.

Interesting that proofs are half the examples.

I doubt there can be many more left in rattler holders, not that there were probably very many graded to begin with.

Comments

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 14, 2023 2:19PM

Hmmm I don't know that right obv field of that 58-O sure looks scratched up in the ebay photos. Holder sure looks pristine.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a rattler, but I have two in fatties. Strangely, tougher in fatties than rattlers, which isn't always true. A lot of seated types are rare, rare birds in old holders. Actually, in general, 19th century type outside the usual suspects is tough in old holders. I have a private difficulty scale for finding them based on several years of market observations and seated quarters get a 7/10. Rare enough that a collector that cares about old holders should grab them if reasonably priced, but not so rare that they should be overpaying drastically for them. They come around with patience. Now the 9s and the 10s, if they show up, that's when you toss logic out and bid based on how badly you want the coin/plastic, and your means. I think that's what happened with the 1795 H10C Heritage sold recently...

"It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cocoinut Beautiful original coin!

• marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cocoinut said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    This one popped up on an ebay search and I realized I don't think I've ever seen a seated quarter in a rattler holder before, at least that I remember.

So I did second ebay search and found this one.

A quick heritage search found 6 more, 3 MS and 3 proof.

Interesting that proofs are half the examples.

I doubt there can be many more left in rattler holders, not that there were probably very many graded to begin with.

Here's my avatar, a coin purchased in 1971 for $95 and slabbed in 1988.

-

Whoa, wow, '71 and '88 slabbed, I lovvve it, that would bean easily, please don't crack it :o

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I bought my 1st house in 71 for $23,500 $211 mortgage payment, man was I in the hole :/
    That was then, this is now

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cocoinut said:

@marcmoish said:

@Cocoinut said:

-
    Whoa, wow, '71 and '88 slabbed, I lovvve it, that would bean easily, please don't crack it :o

Don't worry, Mark, it's going to stay in the rattler, even though the PCGS database mistakenly shows it as a proof. $95 was a lot of money for me back then, as I was working my way through college. The dealer that I bought it from had 2 MS seated halves as well for $85 apiece. One was 1860 and the other 1861, and one was from Philadelphia, while the other was a San Francisco coin, but I don't remember which was which. As it turned out, they may have been better investments, but they didn't have the eye appeal of the 1879 quarter. Sadly, I couldn't afford them at the time. The $170 seems like nothing now.

Gone are the days of seeing coins of that caliber in shops and smaller shows. Even in the late 1980’s/early 90’s you could still find neat stuff at reasonable prices at regional shows, etc. Not anymore.
    If that coin were released into the market place today it would likely bounce around in multiple auction venues in different combinations of new plastic and stickers ultimately landing somewhere at an insane price that few could afford.
    It’s great that you’ve been able to enjoy it for so many years!

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

This popped up today.

Another one popped up. Doesn't seem like a great coin though.

This one looks like a dog.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file