Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Nice Enough for Straight Mint State Grade?

I acquired a few Peace Dollars from my uncle for Christmas a couple of years ago, and as a coin collector myself, I put them into a safe place until they were ready to be graded. One of them, a 1924 S in around an AU condition, was unfortunately cleaned and not in grading condition.

The other two though, both Uncirculated 1922 (Philidelphia minted), are surely worth grading. My biggest concern about them is that they have lots of chatter on the cheeks and in the fields, and while it has a nice cartwheel effect I'm not sure if it was maybe dipped or cleaned somehow.

I have had my own experiences from times long ago where I sent in about 4 silver coins, and all came back cleaned or environmentally damaged (I was 12 at the time and had no idea a coin could get a details grade).

Since then, I only submitted copper coinage (Large cents, 2 cents, Wheat cents) and other non-silver denominations (Nickles and Trimes), But never any more silver, as the majority of my silver coinage worth submitting would sadly not get straight grades, and the un-cleaned ones are not very valuable.

So I was curious if these would get a straight grade, and what grade they might receive.
(If better pictures are needed to see the scuffs just ask and they will come in a few days)

Thanks for the help yall.
Cheers,
Alex

Comments

• Options

Thanks Mark! I need to expand my rare silver collection... LOL

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think both would straight grade, probably low MS.
    I don’t know why you believe that they are surely worth grading though. The cost to do so doesn’t justify it. But because they are mementos from your uncle, perhaps that’s how you wish to preserve them.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

@Walkerguy21D said:
    I don’t know why you believe that they are surely worth grading though. The cost to do so doesn’t justify it. But because they are mementos from your uncle, perhaps that’s how you wish to preserve them.

Indeed the reason I would grade them... Cost isn't such a concern as I have some money saved specifically for grading/collecting and they'd surely be for keeping!

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Howdy and welcome.

They look MS and the cost to have them graded would be either close to or more than their value. If you want to preserve them just place them into plastic snap lock containers that cost around fifty-cents each.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get a nice plastic holder for a couple bucks and put them in it for protection.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some capital holders would be great.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

My general rule of thumb is that they have to be valued at $200 before grading to even consider it. These don't meet my rules.... but they are yours and not mine.
    bob :)
    vegas baby!

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always cringed at the term "Good (nice) Enough".

It reeks of mediocrity.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

unless you want them in slabs to remember your uncle, it will cost less to go to eBay and buy a 62 or 63.

• Options

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I've decided to just keep them in new padded plastic holders because the old ones broke after I took them out.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ctf_error_coins said:
    I have always cringed at the term "Good (nice) Enough".

It reeks of mediocrity.

That advice is good enough for me.

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin World (or similar) holders are an option for these types of coins. The nice thing is you can construct a label that states where the coin originated etc. and that way the source is preserved for kids, grandkids etc. They can be found online and cost maybe 4-5 dollars each.

K

ANA LM

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file