Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anybody score a Blay Indian Cent? Photos Added!

ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 20, 2023 1:13PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I splurged and got 3! Details later.

Comments

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on your wins, as above too pricey for me.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    Inspired70Inspired70 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow! well done Willy! Those are great coins!

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, but I looked :)

• Options

@winesteven said:
    I placed my max hammer bid on two Indian lots, bidding like a moron, but was blown out so far I wasn't even the underbidder. That rarely happens. When I bid on a lot, I'm the high bidder the vast majority of the time, and when I'm outbid, I'm always the underbidder.

Two lots for me next week

Steve

Wow. I was bidding on the lower end lots. Got my first 66+ and 67 Indian Cents.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ironmanl63 said:

@winesteven said:
    I placed my max hammer bid on two Indian lots, bidding like a moron, but was blown out so far I wasn't even the underbidder. That rarely happens. When I bid on a lot, I'm the high bidder the vast majority of the time, and when I'm outbid, I'm always the underbidder.

Steve

I guess it’s all relative, but to me those aren’t lower end lots. Congratulations!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options

@coinbuf said:
    From those photos the CAC is better by a mile.

As far as hits no doubt. I want to see the eye appeal in hand on the Blay coin. The CACG coin has only a few hairlines that you need to look really hard to find. I thought it would get a 65 grade.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

@willy said:
    Did not buy a Indian but won a 1893 MS66+ CAC dime.

Great coin and it goes well with your profile picture.

I see your bid came in four seconds after the underbidder and six seconds before the auction closed.

I've got to watch out for you. Did you say your name was Willy or is it actually Wilely?

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DMWJR said:
    I got a few ;)

Don't be shy now.......
    Lets see some pics :)

• Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats, Doug!

I got two:
    1858/7 MS65
    1872 MS65
    Was underbidder on the 1886ty2 but lost it to a prior with too little time to rebid. 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Options

Any other thoughts on the 1859's posted.

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coins all of them! I got a Blay Lincoln cent duplicate that was in my budget. I got outbid on all others.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ironmanl63 said:

@coinbuf said:
    From those photos the CAC is better by a mile.

As far as hits no doubt. I want to see the eye appeal in hand on the Blay coin. The CACG coin has only a few hairlines that you need to look really hard to find. I thought it would get a 65 grade.

I'm sure that your new coin will be a stunner, I really like the clean look of your CAC coin so that wins out over what looks to be a bit of a stronger strike on the Blay coin. I have no doubt that it will be a tough decision to decide between the two in hand.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ironmanl63 said:

CACG piece by a mile. That neck stab wound is detracting. jmho.

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ironmanl63 said:

That top coin has one helluva bold (bullet) strike! Is that rare, seldom encountered for the date? All the other coins made after that one would have less of a strike/details. Those 2-3 nicks say, good luck locating another example with this much detail without the marks.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ironmanl63 I like the color of the PCGS graded coin better, but the gash on the neck kills it for me.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    edited November 14, 2023 11:38AM

I have a sneaky feeling the marks on the Blay coin will be much less egregious in hand. I will report back when I receive the coin. Knowing myself, most likely, they will both stay with me for a good while.

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

hey, the 1858/7 is the king. It's as well struck on the tail and right wreath as any of them. I want FROR, lol

Doug
  • Options
    redraiderredraider Posts: 128 ✭✭✭✭

Wow! Great, and I mean GREAT coins!

The 1858/7 looks to be way nicer than the MS66 one listed on eBay for a cool $275K. Great upside potential on it for sure.

• Options

Curious, are you able to register the coins since the Blay collections have not yet been retired?

• Options

@alaura22 said:
    Curious, are you able to register the coins since the Blay collections have not yet been retired?

Apparently not, but I’ll be patient in this case. I’m sure plenty of requests will be made.

• Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭✭

@renomedphys, wow-the ‘72 is Red as red can be. While the strike is a bit soft, she’s a beauty for sure! Congratulations on both!

• Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi - PCGS is going to retire the Stewart Blay sets in the Registry - likely today.

• Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options

Retired but not forgotten, your coins will live on.
    Thank you Mr. Blay
    R.I.P.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ironmanl63 said:
    The first one I won was not his number 1 coin for the slot. It is the 1859 MS64+ that was sold by Stacks Bowers out of the Larry Miller Collection. I bid on the coin back then but someone (maybe Stewart) beat me out. I have a wonderfull 1859 MS64+ in a CACG holder not sure which I will like better. Here are both coins which one do you prefer.

Serious question- are those of the same composition?

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS will have to delete them from his inventory after they retire the sets.

Doug
  • Options

@DMWJR said:

I think at a minimum it will take a call from GC or Stewart’s family for PCGS to release the coins, even though the set is retired. My guess is that GC is handling this, but no way to know for sure.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:

@DMWJR said:

I think at a minimum it will take a call from GC or Stewart’s family for PCGS to release the coins, even though the set is retired. My guess is that GC is handling this, but no way to know for sure.

Steve

Thanks - we're arranging with PCGS. I'm sure it will be completed by Monday or Tuesday.

• Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2023 10:35AM

@jfriedm56 said:
    @renomedphys, wow-the ‘72 is Red as red can be. While the strike is a bit soft, she’s a beauty for sure! Congratulations on both!

1872 is a tough year, maybe THE toughest in Gem Red. What you’re interpreting as “softness” is actually the result of either water on the planchet or oil on the die, or both becoming captive as the coin is struck.

Rick Snow writes: “Having nowhere to escape it leaves an impression in the coin. Usually these coins are called weak strike, when actually they may be full strike with strike-through depressions.”

My impression is that full strike coins without strikethroughs are available, but not with full-red color as I define it. In fact, most 1872 cents graded as “full red” do not meet my criteria.

• Options

@renomedphys, I wasn't critiquing your coin for any faults. On the contrary, it's quite an attractive red 1872 IHC! I am also on a quest to add an MS65 RB to my collection, but as of yet have been unable to do so. I can't seem to find one with attractive near red surfaces and an overall full strike. Please do not take any offence. Your coin is magnificent! Thanks. And the 8/7 FE is no slouch either.

• Options
    edited November 18, 2023 1:07PM

@winesteven, great looking 1872 IHC with the bold N reverse. Just what I’m looking for! (Or shallow, it doesn’t matter).

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ironmanl63 said:

@winesteven said:

@ironmanl63 said:

@winesteven said:

Steve

I guess it’s all relative, but to me those aren’t lower end lots. Congratulations!

Steve

I meant in this particular auction. They were probably the least expensive coins in each grade. Indian cents are my favorite coins and I really wanted to own some out of this collection. It has been said that many of these coins are the finest for the date and collected by the best eye for the type. It was a stretch but I believe it was worth it.

One of my favorite series as well! I would love to see the ones you got…

• Options

@tradedollarnut said:

@ironmanl63 said:
    The first one I won was not his number 1 coin for the slot. It is the 1859 MS64+ that was sold by Stacks Bowers out of the Larry Miller Collection. I bid on the coin back then but someone (maybe Stewart) beat me out. I have a wonderfull 1859 MS64+ in a CACG holder not sure which I will like better. Here are both coins which one do you prefer.

Serious question- are those of the same composition?

Yes they are and both are awesome examples in my opinion. I am keeping both but if I had to pick one it would be the CACG coin.

• Options

@asheland said:

@ironmanl63 said:

@winesteven said:

@ironmanl63 said:

@winesteven said:

Steve

Steve

I meant in this particular auction. They were probably the least expensive coins in each grade. Indian cents are my favorite coins and I really wanted to own some out of this collection. It has been said that many of these coins are the finest for the date and collected by the best eye for the type. It was a stretch but I believe it was worth it.

One of my favorite series as well! I would love to see the ones you got…

I will be posting photos soon of the other 2 coins.

• Options
    edited November 20, 2023 8:04PM

Here are the photos I promised. @asheland

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:

@jfriedm56 said:
    @renomedphys, I wasn't critiquing your coin for any faults. On the contrary, it's quite an attractive red 1872 IHC! I am also on a quest to add an MS65 RB to my collection, but as of yet have been unable to do so. I can't seem to find one with attractive near red surfaces and an overall full strike. Please do not take any offence. Your coin is magnificent! Thanks. And the 8/7 FE is no slouch either.

This is NOT a Blay coin. I got lucky in finding mine. Full strike from new dies. While Rick Snow says it’s about 95% red, it’s clear that it’s properly graded as MS65RB.

Steve

Your 1872 NDN cent looks to be 80% red but extremely high end for the grade surface-wise. I love it. Really tough coin to find.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options

Thanks. In hand, it's a lot "redder" than 80%, but i agree it's proper at RB.

Steve

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:
    Thanks. In hand, it's a lot "redder" than 80%, but i agree it's proper at RB.

Steve

This is why we cannot grade by looking only at photos.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file