Home U.S. Coin Forum

My 7070 (update 2/18)

maymay Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 18, 2024 1:07PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Right now my type set is pretty bad, it has lots of cleaned coins and bad purchases. As it’s growing bigger, I’ve decided to start a thread to track its progression. My goal is to get the rarer issues in VG/F, and everything else in at least XF, however long it takes. The images got compressed when I loaded them, so I can take individual photos of a coin if you want.

Notes:
The half cent is cleaned
The large cents are original- G4 and AU50
The flying eagle is fine, but cleaned
The trime is VF but has a nasty scratch
The capped bust half dime is fine, but cleaned
The no cents V nickel is in AU58
The war nickel is in AU55
The capped bust dime is cleaned
The 1837 dime in the stars slot is a mistake
The 1855 dime is in XF, but could be cleaned
The 1877 CC dime might be damaged
The 1898 dime might be cleaned
The Mercury dime has a bad scrape
The 1861 quarter is XF
The 1854 quarter is cleaned
The 1824 half is cleaned, and will be sold soon
The 1854 half is XF, and has a small dig in it
The Columbian is cleaned AU
The Franklin is AU
The Morgan is MS63
The Peace dollar is AU, but is sentimental
The 1976 quarter doesn’t have the stain show in the pictures

I am a YN, so it takes a while to save up enough money for a coin. Please suggest what I should buy, or sell next. :)

Type collector, mainly into Seated. -formerly Ownerofawheatiehorde. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON, Gerard

Comments

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the look of a nice Dansco 7070. You have a good start going on and appear to have a good grasp of what you have. Now you have to make the decision as you move forward... buy raw or crack out slabbed coins. Either way, enjoy the chase.

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing wrong with the way you're stating and your strategy. I like it. A 7070 is a great project!!

I would guess that's the way many of us started a 7070. For years I thought a completed 7070 was beyond my reach. I put a 7070 album down on paper before I even considered buying an actual album... Just to see what I already had. Although I pulled many coin from other albums and random coins I had, I surprisingly had more half of what I needed for the 7070.

Mine were much worse then yours. I just slowly filled and upgraded along the way. My goals were (obviously) not the highest grades but problem free/straight graded coins with a consistent look. And yes, like @DRUNNER says: Stay the course. This "for me" was the challenge. To damn easy in this hobby to get sidetracked with other coins. I was focused on my 7070 for several years before it was completed, so beware.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• maymay Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

Went to a show today and got some coins for the set.

Notes:
    The Franklin is about 63, and maybe FBL
    The seated quarter is VF
    The Washington quarter is BU
    The Buffalo is XF45-AU50, but has a scratch that would likely net grade it to XF40

Here are the replaced coins.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. -formerly Ownerofawheatiehorde. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON, Gerard

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the half cents and seated stuff 🙂

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very Nice start to a difficult set. I felt it was something of an accomplishment when I finally finished mine. @DRUNNER gave lots if good advice... it will take longer, but try not to compromise on "details" coins. I started and restarted my 7070 3 times and ended up selling the cleaned/problem coins as I matured as a collector along the way. That said, I did have to roll back expectations on a nice Classic Head LC and opted for an ANACS VF details piece.... but at 1/3 the prices of slabbed coins that also looked to have issues. Anyway, good luck with the search, and above all... have fun!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • RWMRWM Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

Thank you for sharing. I hope you are enjoying your set and you can always keep upgrading later.

• P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great work so far! A type album is one of the best ways to enjoy this hobby. It exposes you to so many different coins. I started as a type collector and all of my other sets were offshoots of that effort, usually because I acquired a coin that I really liked and got deeper into the series. Be patient and wait for the right coins. They’ll come along if you’re patient.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

Progressing nicely!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• I'll watch this thread. I will eventually start a 7070, but I am spending a formative year filling a Lincoln cent album with my 7 year old daughter. It lets me learn more about grading, sources for coins, and how to assess both, while still having fun and learning together with my daughter. It is a fun break to go with her to sort through the stacks of 25 cent to 4 dollar Lincoln cents and not worry if the $1K Morgan was a good purchase, or what I missed on it. I'm hoping that leads me to a more planned approach when I do start the 7070, which it looks like you have.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking half dime!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ownerofawheatiehorde said:
    ...I am a YN, so it takes a while to save up enough money for a coin. Please suggest what I should buy, or sell next. :)

The one-year-only 1853 Arrows & Rays Half Dollar is a favorite of mine. Plenty to choose... Philadelpia mintage 3,532,708 (plus 1,328,000 minted in New Orleans) -- so you can afford to be selective.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2023 3:09AM

That's a very pretty 1854 half dime.
    It also happens to be the V-1 die variety, with the date overlapping the base.
    This is #69 on the Top 100 seated half dime variety list.
    It is not a rare variety, but it is a cool one.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1035720/top-100-seated-half-dime-varieties-list-and-112-page-pdf

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s coming along nicely, looks great 👍🏼

Mr_Spud

• mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the seated half and the 20c piece -- really nice wholesome circ look on both. Good adds!

mirabela
  • maymay Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2024 2:50PM

I picked up this nice VG 1835 dime at a show today.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file