Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

$2 1976 first day of issue stamped

RiveraFamilyCollectRiveraFamilyCollect Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
edited November 11, 2023 11:28PM in U.S. & World Currency Forum

Good day,
Rivera Sr has read an exciting market report hype article about 1976 $2 bills with tremendous value($20k, circulated examples$4,500! Oh boy). He is excited because he has one of these bills. He has had it for some 50 years got it stamped and everything. And it seems to be in good condition.
What are the options here trying to educate myself on what we have.
Should I take it to a local shop?
Worth grading?

The substantial truth doctrine is an important defense in defamation law that allows individuals to avoid liability if the gist of their statement was true.

Comments

• Options

The substantial truth doctrine is an important defense in defamation law that allows individuals to avoid liability if the gist of their statement was true.

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 12, 2023 4:29AM

I’m not sure where you’re getting your information, but these 1976 stamped $2 notes typically sell for under $20. I wouldn’t call them rare or valuable and wouldn’t bother having it graded.

I’ve taken the liberty of cropping and rotating your photo for easier viewing.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,848 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen that article pop up on on various news sites. Best to stop chasing the click bait articles.

These bills postmarked on the day of issuance are novelties with no real value. It was all the rage back when they were issued. But they are just mementos or novelties.

• Options

Thanks to both of you. The info came from market report, not in an article... more link cockbait content without sources. Which was picked up by further news outlets.
    My pops is pretty excited about the bill being worth something.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/here-s-how-to-tell-if-your-old-2-bills-are-worth-anything/ar-AA1jG467?domshim=1

• Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭

There were 50 State stamps singly attached to each of 50 sequential notes.
    Each State Stamp was on a different sequential bill

• Options

@synchr said:

Do you have pics or anything about this I can refer to?

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RiveraFamilyCollect said:

@synchr said:

Do you have pics or anything about this I can refer to?

Try here - http://www.panix.com/~clay/currency/50-States.html

• Options

I really appreciate this.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,848 ✭✭✭✭✭

People (including me) mostly made their own.

Started at the bank on issue date, went to post office to buy a stamp and get stamp postmarked.