Home Sports Talk

To my fellow Veterans...

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

We did our time, oftentimes in some nasty places. Many of us didn't want to be where we were, some volunteered, others were drafted. Our sacrifice cannot be measured by mere words, only we know what it was like to be thousands of miles from home and in a combat zone. There were many lonely days and nights, counting the days to be able to go home.

We did our best and served our country, it would be impossible to forget those times. Always remember those special guys/gals that served with us. I'm not sure if I'd say "Happy" Veteran's Day, but I'd surely say we did our best when we were called upon.

Korea, Vietnam

Comments

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    My father enlisted December 8th, 1941 the day after Pearl Harbor at 17 years old with my grandmother’s permission. At 5’8” 120 pounds he was the perfect size for a tail gunner in the Army Air Corps.
    To all you veterans, thank you for your service.

Tail gunner. I've seen war videos showing that was the most hazardous position on the plane, and all the other positions were already quite hazardous.

Courage beyond most people's comprehension, including me.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

None of us will ever understand what it was like, all we can do is thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your service, thank you Al, and thank you to everyone who served. 🖒

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    My father enlisted December 8th, 1941 the day after Pearl Harbor at 17 years old with my grandmother’s permission. At 5’8” 120 pounds he was the perfect size for a tail gunner in the Army Air Corps.

My father lost an uncle at Pearl Harbor

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 12, 2023 5:13PM

@2dueces said:
    My father enlisted December 8th, 1941 the day after Pearl Harbor at 17 years old with my grandmother’s permission. At 5’8” 120 pounds he was the perfect size for a tail gunner in there Army Air Corps.

My uncle was a tail gunner in a B-24 flying out of North Africa. The family lore says he lost his hair from fright. I have a copy of the diary he kept. Very interesting reading.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • stevekstevek Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ajaan said:

@2dueces said:
    My father enlisted December 8th, 1941 the day after Pearl Harbor at 17 years old with my grandmother’s permission. At 5’8” 120 pounds he was the perfect size for a tail gunner in there Army Air Corps.

My uncle was a tail gunner in a B-24 flying out of North Africa. The family lore says he lost his hair from fright. I have a copy of the diary he kept. Very interesting reading.

You could do a Youtube audio of that diary, and I think a lot of folks would click-on to watch it. I know I would definitely click-on to watch it.

I realize it would be a lot of work, but decent coin can be made doing it.

Wouldn't really need to do too much visually. Perhaps a few pics of your uncle, interspersed with some stock pics of B-24s, stock B-24 videos, etc.