Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Catalogue of World Coins.

Do you go digital or have a stack of books spanning 100 years each?

Which do you prefer?

fka renman95, Sep 2005, 7,000 posts

Comments

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2023 4:36PM

I use Numista and the Catalog on the NGC website (which matches Krause). There is no online catalog for my primary area of focus, so I have physical books for that. I also have pdfs of the Kraus world coin catalogues, which I will use in some situations as well.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

I have all the books back to 1600

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went digital (from the Krause DVD) over 12 years ago so that I could load the books on my phone for offline use at a show.

I guess my last editions are going to serve me forever, unfortunately.

• Options
    D808LFD808LF Posts: 403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@neildrobertson said:
    I use Numista and the Catalog on the NGC website (which matches Krause). There is no online catalog for my primary area of focus, so I have physical books for that. I also have pdfs of the Kraus world coin catalogues, which I will use in some situations as well.

I've used Numista but have never examined NGC's World values. Just checked it out and must say it's pretty darn good. Thx.

The problem is how to value PCGS world coins, in comparison the info very sparse.

fka renman95, Sep 2005, 7,000 posts

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do digital and have stacks of books. If I am checking on several, I prefer the books. I just checked on NGC for a coin that I have been trying to purchase for a long time. Colombia 1946 5 Centavos catalogs $7 Uncirculated. If someone has 1, I would be happy to pay $100, a little more for the overdate. Show me one, even if not for sale.

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

@D808LF said:
    I've used Numista but have never examined NGC's World values. Just checked it out and must say it's pretty darn good. Thx.

The problem is how to value PCGS world coins, in comparison the info very sparse.

NGC's world values seem to match Krause. In a lot of cases the numbers haven't been updated in over 10 years, and they weren't particularly accurate back then. I mostly use it for information other than value. There are certain countries that are overvalued and certain ones that are overvalued. If you want to know the ones that are overvalued, go look through a dealer's world coin box at the next coin show. All of the countries you see in large numbers are overvalued (e.g. New Zealand) and the ones that are missing are undervalued (e.g. China and Mexico).

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 844 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HoledandCreative said:
    I do digital and have stacks of books. If I am checking on several, I prefer the books. I just checked on NGC for a coin that I have been trying to purchase for a long time. Colombia 1946 5 Centavos catalogs $7 Uncirculated. If someone has 1, I would be happy to pay $100, a little more for the overdate. Show me one, even if not for sale.

Just for curiosity did a quick search, for the price you posted, this is not the one you are looking for, but have a look:
    Is avail at $4.5

I guess you are looking for this type (not 1946 year):
    Same price avail at $4.5

• Options

Digital.

• Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 840 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the physical Krause books. I spent a few years pursuing the collection. I spend far too much time staring at computer screens.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    SilverAge3SilverAge3 Posts: 42 ✭✭
    edited November 11, 2023 12:21AM

I definitely use a mix of digital and hardcopies. Have one of the editions of ea Kraus century physical books, except 1700s (plan to get one), I am sad that Penguin dropped it after acquiring the series. I also have some specific to my main interests in predecimal British coins, like Peck, though there are several books on pennies and other copper/bronze which I lack because they are very, very hard to get, such as the ones by Michael Gouby, even though he's among the living, which leaves me in the dark. But I also use lots of online tools and ebooks. Besides ngc and numista, I use other sites to fill in gaps, where occasionally these others are lacking. Sites like coin-brothers, colnect, and many specific to British coins, esp copper/bronze. For ebooks and old journals and catalogs in public domain I use jstor, nnp, bns/bnj, Royal Mint archives, and archive, as well as old auction catalog pdfs. That said, why does pcgs neglect world coins so much, even to the point making it often impossible to find something simple, like their own pcgs catalog number? As someone who has considered switching membership from ngc, but being mostly a world collector, the neglect sure isn't inviting me to switch. Ironically, though, they recognize more Victorian penny varieties than ngc, i also saw recent issues with usa coin varieties dropped from pcgs registry without warning, so even that is a very flimsy selling point, after that debacle.

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ELuis said:

@HoledandCreative said:

Just for curiosity did a quick search, for the price you posted, this is not the one you are looking for, but have a look:
    Is avail at $4.5

I guess you are looking for this type (not 1946 year):
    Same price avail at $4.5

I am looking for the 1946 versions of the bottom coin pictured. Thank you.

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

Books - if it wasn’t for books, I wouldn’t have a library.

• Options

@HoledandCreative said:

I am looking for the 1946 versions of the bottom coin pictured. Thank you.

Thanks, I see now why you offered that amount, seems that is not easy to find this coin and wonder in uncirculated condition.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slabbed World Coins - I look at what eBay sellers selling them for.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency