Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

8 r Cordoba 1852

Hi everybody. I have a question about the coin, about the edge. Is it some issue defect or it used like medal? I can't find edge's photos in internet. Your opinions? Thanks.










Peace.

Comments

  • GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2023 6:17AM

    That is the proper edge.
    I believe Numista calls it the Laureate edge, probably because it looks similar
    to a Laureate Wreath.

  • Sergey74Sergey74 Posts: 151 ✭✭✭

    @Greenstang said:
    That is the proper edge.
    I believe Numista calls it the Laureate edge, probably because it looks similar
    to a Laureate Wreath.

    Sorry I'm not sure that understand you (not English speaking). So do you think that the place without relief on the edge normal for this type? I thought maybe it used like medal but don't see obvious traces of desoldering.

    Peace.

  • GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭

    I think I misunderstood what you were referring to.
    That place without the relief looks like it has been encased in something.
    Notice how the rim is raised in those areas as if it has been pressed into a bezel.
    Whatever the cause, it is classed as damage.

  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The fact that the edge marking seem to fade, rather than end abruptly with strong impressions, suggests that the coin may have been used in a medal or jewelry, and the mount filed off. But I'm not seeing obvious file marks or solder where a mount was removed. I do see a pre-striking planchet defect and crude reeding, maybe with a break, that could be normal for this issue. The rim seems to be somewhat raised but looks OK all around and I'm not seeing other signs of jewelry wear. It looks genuine and around XF to me. But I don't have the specialized expertise to know if the reeding around the edge on this issue is supposed to be complete or have a break.

    Among the most common terms in the U.S. for this would be "mounted" or "removed from jewelry". But I'm not convinced that this is the case with this example.

    Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Sergey74Sergey74 Posts: 151 ✭✭✭

    Thanks, men! If anybody has the opinion please tell.
    I should tell that in my experience traces of removing is usually evident. And one thing: in another side the edge has more deep relief.

    Peace.

  • scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The coin looks like it was in a bezel, or “spooned”. Look how the rim metal seems to fold over the dentils and is raised. The coin is likely also a bit smaller in diameter now than a normal example.

  • Sergey74Sergey74 Posts: 151 ✭✭✭

    No, another edge is normal and diametr i think (48 mm). No damages.




    Peace.

  • Sergey74Sergey74 Posts: 151 ✭✭✭

    So i think the coin used like medal. The bad sector is right above the coat of arms. Than mount was carefully removed.

    Peace.

  • Sergey74Sergey74 Posts: 151 ✭✭✭

    I hope $300 wasn't expensive for it. It's rare coin in Russia.

    Peace.

  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @scubafuel said:
    The coin looks like it was in a bezel, or “spooned”. Look how the rim metal seems to fold over the dentils and is raised. The coin is likely also a bit smaller in diameter now than a normal example.

    I had the same thought when I first saw it, but after looking at other examples, I found that raised rim to be a normal characteristic of the issue.

    Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Sergey74Sergey74 Posts: 151 ✭✭✭

    @sellitstore said:

    @scubafuel said:
    The coin looks like it was in a bezel, or “spooned”. Look how the rim metal seems to fold over the dentils and is raised. The coin is likely also a bit smaller in diameter now than a normal example.

    I had the same thought when I first saw it, but after looking at other examples, I found that raised rim to be a normal characteristic of the issue.

    It's very difficult to find the edge's photos, i can't do it with Google.

    Peace.

  • Sergey74Sergey74 Posts: 151 ✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2024 6:56PM

    Hi everybody. And you were wrong:). I have barely found another the same, the owner has made good video for me, we discussed it... So it's technical feature of making the edge between two iron things with edge's picture. It's difficult in English, sorry. So we have beginning of edge and finish on another side - in the first place we have imposition and the second we have pass of edge's picture.

    Ps. I don't mean that every of its has this defect.

    Peace.

Sign In or Register to comment.