Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1922 Peace Dollar VAMs

Hello,
After my father-in-law passed away I went through a roll of BU 1922 Peace Dollars he had stashed away. A few of them have should spikes on the reverse upper left of eagle but one is a VAM-2R3.
All coins are BU. Does anyone know if it's worth getting the nicer ones graded and which companies will attribute a VAM? I know ANACS does but would rather use PCGS or NGC

Comments

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pictures of the whole coin are needed.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

I apologize for the rookie mistake! I forgot how banged up they were. Now I'm not sure VAM-2R3. It has the shoulder spike and the clash, but I don't see the die gouges on the top pic of the vam site or on my coin.

This coin also has nick in the obverse collar.

• Options

Here are some random others with shoulder spike

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2023 9:35PM

@vgould191 said:
    Does anyone know if it's worth getting the nicer ones graded and which companies will attribute a VAM?

I don't see enough value in them to have them graded or attributed.

A VAM designation does not necessarily add any value, by the way. It's the rarer, sought after VAMs that have extra value - just a matter of supply and demand.

• Options
    PapiNEPapiNE Posts: 290 ✭✭✭

The shoulder clash is rather high and with the 4-5 o'clock collar clash, I thought I would have found it but no luck. The looks of the coins would force me to dip them to get rid of that powered sugar look. The one coin with what you called a nick is damage and unlikely to straight grade. The rim hits on most indicate they are circulated and most would probably grade AU if they clean up. Otherwise worth spot (approx $23) to most collectors. GL and thanks for sharing.

USAF veteran 1984-2005

• Options

@IkesT said:

@vgould191 said:
    Does anyone know if it's worth getting the nicer ones graded and which companies will attribute a VAM?

I don't see enough value in them to have them graded or attributed.

A VAM designation does not necessarily add any value, by the way. It's the rarer, sought after VAMs that have extra value - just a matter of supply and demand.

Interesting seeing this and other replies. I have a 23-S with a die crack originating at the hair line on the observe progressing along the second spike form the rear. Did not see the value in grading it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file