Home U.S. Coin Forum

Same Old eBay Fraud - New Approach

alefzeroalefzero Posts: 963 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 6, 2023 4:45PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Many of us know the account hijackers who steer victims off of the platform by inserting an image with instructions to email them.

Well the same crew now puts text into the description that instructs the user to copy and paste a URL that appears on the surface to be an eBay link but really goes to a 1798304.store domain. The full hostname is wwww.ebay.com.1798304.store.

Wanted to give others an heads up to avoid problems. If you want to report their listings, go ahead. I did a bunch but, as usual, they have a mountain of them.

Domain Information
Name: 1798304.store
Registry Domain ID: D398068608-CNIC
Domain Status:
serverTransferProhibited
clientTransferProhibited
Nameservers:
dns1.registrar-servers.com

dns2.registrar-servers.com

Dates
Registry Expiration: 2024-09-20 23:59:59 UTC
Updated: 2023-10-04 16:00:18 UTC
Created: 2023-09-20 20:24:06 UTC

Comments

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 46,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

You may want to let eBay know so they can nuke his account.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,127 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always reported this group and ebay typically gets rid of the listings quickly. Just moments ago I also reported this to ebay and explained the url nonsense in their report page. Others should do the same.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• alefzeroalefzero Posts: 963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2023 5:35PM

@PerryHall said:
    You may want to let eBay know so they can nuke his account.

I did. They don't take dictation from me is their attitude. But they will look at individual listing reports. Typically, they do catch on that is hurts eBay and removes all of the listings of the hijacked account.

• opportunityopportunity Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

Isn't this the same one who keeps hijacking big Ebay seller's accounts? It seems like he shows up once a week listing the same stuff. Really gets old. Make sure you have 2 factor turned on.

Early American Copper, Bust and Seated.

• alefzeroalefzero Posts: 963 ✭✭✭✭✭

@opportunity said:
    Isn't this the same one who keeps hijacking big Ebay seller's accounts? It seems like he shows up once a week listing the same stuff. Really gets old. Make sure you have 2 factor turned on.

Same operation. Either they had to change to this because eBay FINALLY caught on to their image insert redirection or they simply found this approach more efficient. I figured the change might snare someone and wanted to call attention to it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file