Home U.S. Coin Forum

My Best Verdigris Coin!

OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pulled it out of a roll today. I think it's a pretty good example. For your viewing pleasure. 😁

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

Comments

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

Verdigris happens on copper coins. Looks like a severe case of PVC you got there. Acetone could fix it.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gumby1234 said:
    Verdigris happens on copper coins. Looks like a severe case of PVC you got there. Acetone could fix it.

Really? Only copper? I didn't know that. When I see green, I was thinking Verdigris.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

Copper and brass.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2023 6:42PM

Looks like a relic Jacques Cousteau would find from the depths of the Aegean.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

noun: verdigris

a bright bluish-green encrustation or patina formed on copper or brass by atmospheric oxidation, consisting of basic copper carbonate.

• TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2023 6:05PM

That is PVC. Like members told me just do an acetone bath on each side. Change the acetone and rinse the coin under acetone. Should remove it all and not come back. Use a glass container with a metal lid. That stuff smells awful. Do use the bowl to eat out of and let acetone sit in it once done withe new acetone to clean it for further use for your coins.

edited November 6, 2023 6:04PM

@gumby1234 said:

a bright bluish-green encrustation or patina formed on copper or brass by atmospheric oxidation, consisting of basic copper carbonate.

You know something, I'm just thinking. I have a bump out window on the side of my house and it has a copper shroud on the roof of it.........and it's GREEN!

edited November 6, 2023 6:12PM

@PillarDollarCollector said:
    That is PVC. Like members told me just do an acetone bath on each side. Change the acetone and rinse the coin under acetone. Should remove it all and not come back. Use a glass container with a metal lid. That stuff smells awful. Do use the bowl to eat out of and let acetone sit in it once done withe new acetone to clean it for further use for your coins.

I'm not going to touch it. The coin is toast. It's a good conversation piece or teaching tool.

It would probably look great in a slab! 😂 🤣

• ELVIS1ELVIS1 Posts: 159 ✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

@gumby1234 said:

You know something, I'm just thinking. I have a bump out window on the side of my house and it has a copper shroud on the roof of it.........and it's GREEN!

People pay a premium for that look.

• TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

@PillarDollarCollector said:

I'm not going to touch it. The coin is toast. It's a good conversation piece or teaching tool.

It would probably look great in a slab! 😂 🤣

Just be careful not to handle it then touch other coins I am not sure but I believe PVC can spread to other coins. I could be wrong.

@ELVIS1 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@gumby1234 said:

On a house or a coin?

@OAKSTAR said:

@ELVIS1 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@gumby1234 said:

On a house or a coin?

House. I used to make copper look old and green was the money color on older homes.
    Chimney caps as well.

@ELVIS1 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@ELVIS1 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@gumby1234 said:

On a house or a coin?

House. I used to make copper look old and green was the money color on older homes.
    Chimney caps as well.

I have a cupola with a copper roof. I should get your help to make it green. It's been brown for years!!

@Oakstar The Statue of Liberty is green as well.

@OAKSTAR said:

@ELVIS1 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@ELVIS1 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@gumby1234 said:

On a house or a coin?

Chimney caps as well.

I have a cupola with a copper roof. I should get your help to make it green. It's been brown for years!!

spray Half strength muriatic acid and then sprinkle with kosher salt. Thats the formula. There should be roofing companies that could do it near you.

Copper roofs are something else and quite expensive so don't try it yourself.

@ELVIS1 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@ELVIS1 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@ELVIS1 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@gumby1234 said:

On a house or a coin?

Chimney caps as well.

spray Half strength muriatic acid and then sprinkle with kosher salt. Thats the formula. There should be roofing companies that could do it near you.

Copper roofs are something else and quite expensive so don't try it yourself.

I'll take a picture of it tomorrow and post it.

Here you go @ELVIS1 I'm not going to live long enough to see it turn green!!! 😂

@Oakstar @Elvis1 gave you the formula to turn it green if you want to.

I'll have to take it off the roof to do that project. I'll have to protect the wood from the muriatic acid.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any horses in the area? :)
    "There are old records of horse urine being poured on new copper roofs in an attempt to make them appear old and green."

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

@OAKSTAR said:
    Here you go @ELVIS1 I'm not going to live long enough to see it turn green!!! 😂

To be honest, I like it as is and in my opinion that natural patination, that beautiful chocolate brown, is much more attractive... You can not 'make' that honest aging and if you don't like the green you will be back to super Shiney copper again waiting for it to turn back..
    I had a friend tell me that vinegar and miracle grow will get you green as well... Not sure the mix though.
    If you do it do a couple runs on some scrap copper to see if you like it first..
    Copper pipe will work.

I'll keep it the way it is like you suggest. Thanks!

• FrazFraz Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    Any horses in the area? :)
    "There are old records of horse urine being poured on new copper roofs in an attempt to make them appear old and green."

…here, you hold the bucket…

Here's a nice one. Postem' if you gottem'

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file