Home U.S. Coin Forum

1870-cc Seated Quarter AG3

Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no connection to the coin or seller but I just saw this on ebay and thought it was a particularly wholesome coin, especially for an AG3. @rhedden @Crepidodera

Comments

• maymay Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice example for AG, great eye appeal too. :)

Type collector, mainly into Seated. -formerly Ownerofawheatiehorde. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON, Gerard

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 3, 2023 12:36PM

A very presentable example that will appeal to MANY collectors. It looks completely original, which is a big plus!

All glory is fleeting.
  • CrepidoderaCrepidodera Posts: 355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don,

That coin is way above average for an AG3, and properly graded.

Doug

• rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sold by Heritage in April 2016, according to my records. I like the look and color of the coin, but I'd be really careful about judging those rim bumps based on images. I personally hate rim bumps, dings, nicks, etc., and I've had a lower grade coin bagged by PCGS for lesser bumps than this one has.

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 3, 2023 11:21AM

@rhedden said:
    Sold by Heritage in April 2016, according to my records. I like the look and color of the coin, but I'd be really careful about judging those rim bumps based on images. I personally hate rim bumps, dings, nicks, etc., and I've had a lower grade coin bagged by PCGS for lesser bumps than this one has.

Looks like they did a recert and it sold again in 2019 with the current slab and bean.

• rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭✭✭

The trouble with rim bumps is that a couple of dings can quickly turn into "removed from jewelry," even if it was never in jewelry. Plus, rim dings are ugly and (usually, not always) preclude CAC approval.

• CrepidoderaCrepidodera Posts: 355 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has several rim nicks, I'll call them, but it is CAC approved.

Doug

• LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭✭

The journey that coin made and the stories it could tell. Does anyone have any sales advertisements from 1870 from the southwest that could show what 25c would buy? Awesome looking coin.

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... tough coin!! I'm sure she'll find a good home...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a nice piece and deserving of an appreciative home. Cool note about it being struck on the same Press No. 1 that's still at the old Mint. I wonder if anyone has brought it back to meet its maker?

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file