Home Sports Talk

How great of a manager is Bruce Bochy?

craig44craig44 Posts: 11,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

in 26 regular seasons, he is 8 games below .500. in half of his 26 years his team was below .500

Made the postseason 9 times in 26 seasons.

Postseason record: 57-37 with 4 world series.

Great manager? lucky manager who's teams caught fire in the playoffs 4 times?

what do you think?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2, 2023 11:40AM

Great manager. A lot of those losing seasons came with the Padres when he had terrible owners that just would not spend or would gut the team out of spite because they were being forced to sell from a divorce. He still got them to the playoffs several times and as soon as he left he won 3 WS with SF and just won another with Texas

The Rangers are basically his old Padres team. He coached Chris Young their GM, he coached one of his coaches Will Venable. and he coached the assistant GM Nick Hundley in SD

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

First ballot hall of famer manager. Seems like one of those guys player's would run through walls for! Total respect.

• lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

for "modern" managers (eliminating Stengel, McCarthy, Mack), he's ahead of LaRussa for me, and then you can argue where he ranks with Torre and if you include Walter Alston as modern, somewhere in there. He was out for 3 years after leaving the Giants, so that's 4 World Series titles in 11 years. I think we're all aware how long it took one of his peers (Baker) to get one.

• 17-4 in clinch opportunity games
    • 6-0 in winner takes all games
      .- 606 winning% in the playoffs (3rd all-time behind Mccarthy & Sparky)

that said, playoff baseball isn't the same as regular season baseball and playoff baseball suits Bochy's teams very well. Where MadBum can pitch, what was it, 56% off all innings in the Giants 3rd WS win. His teams are often heavily reliant on bullpen useage. This Rangers offense was a great offense, but those in Frisco, not so much. So you can make various arguments about his postseason record/success to fit whatever your preferred narrative is, but in terms of success, he's right there in the modern era, if not at the very top.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

how do you guys think he compares with Torre?

@craig44 said:
    how do you guys think he compares with Torre?

My opinion better. Torre had an insanely loaded roster for most of his career. You really didnt need to manage some of those Yankees teams.

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bochy was the reason I bet Texas to win the WS. Made my choice in August.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • oilers99oilers99 Posts: 215 ✭✭✭

How would the Dodgers have fared if they had Bochy instead of Roberts??

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is Bochy the anti bobby cox? Cox had great success in the regular season with the Braves and could only seal the deal once in the world series. Bochy had limited success in the regular season, but was fantastic in the post season.

@oilers99 said:
    How would the Dodgers have fared if they had Bochy instead of Roberts??

Definitely an interesting question. Theres another question there too as well, how much of the playoff decisions are Roberts vs the front office telling him what to do. They change how they operate when the playoffs come and fail every year. I dont count 2020 when only 60 games were played which isnt even half a season. I dont think Roberts is a great manager, but I cant rule out that the front office tries to get to cute with computer models and is giving him directions on what to do once they get there. I would guess its likely a mixture of both.

I would also think that Bochy would have probably won at least 1 real WS with them having the clout to push back against the front office and do what he felt was right if they were the ones trying to call the shots.

Missouri 14 OSU 3