Home Sports Talk

Will Georgia win 3 straight national championships?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

That would be insane, has it ever been done in college football?

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting input from Joel Klatt in this video.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow, that would be a great accomplishment!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

They sure look on track for another title, but keep an eye on those Washington Huskies.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oregon. Washington, Florida State, Michigan and Ohio State and even Oklahoma are in my "Mix" of teams that could challenge them for it.

I don't think they win it again this year

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

Cal claims four straight from 1920-1923.

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

They have a tough stretch of games starting this Saturday. I dont think they will be undefeated before the playoffs.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Oregon. Washington, Florida State, Michigan and Ohio State and even Oklahoma are in my "Mix" of teams that could challenge them for it.

I don't think they win it again this year

Texas, Bama, and LSU even with two losses could make the playoffs as well. If LSU ran they table they would have wins over Bama and Georgia and their losses would be to top 10 Ole Miss and FSU and they have the best QB in the country this year.

Now making the playoffs and being able to win the playoffs are two different things. Oregon and Washington can make it, they cant win it. It likely wont matter anyways as they will likely have to play each other again and both could easily lose to Oregon State before that. They will likely play their way out of the conversation.

Oklahoma is good, but very borderline. They likely play Texas again in the Big 12 championship and Texas likely beats them. Texas will need their Ewers healthy for the playoffs to have a shot to win it all, but with the month off before the first game he should be back if he isnt already. They walked into Tuscaloosa this year and beat Bama which every few teams can say they have done in the last 15 years. They can win it all if hes healthy.

FSU is also very borderline. Since the start of the star rankings for recruits no school has won the Natty with a roster that didnt have more than 50% of it comprised of 4 and 5 stars. FSU falls short of that marker and is sitting in the high 40s. Oklahoma is right around it

Michigan should be able to win it but we will have to see how they look on the 11th. Theyve been dominating everyone, but they also havent played anyone at all and have harder times in practice than the teams theyve played so far. OSU has dudes everywhere except QB. McCord will have to improve for them to win it all.

If GA were to three peat, they would be a serious threat to 4 peat or more. Weve never actually seen a three peat though and rarely rarely ever even seen back to back. We also havent seen Bama go 3 years without a title since Saban took over. He won his first one in 2009 which was his third year and has won at least 1 every 3 years since.

Missouri 14 OSU 3

edited November 1, 2023 11:08PM

@Tabe said:

@doubledragon said:

Cal claims four straight from 1920-1923.

There were also like 5 to 6 teams claiming every year back then.

Minnesota claims 3 from 34-36 and Yale had 3 in a row and 4 in a row in the 1880s. I dont really consider any of the pre WW2 ones to be legit. Too many teams were claiming every year. Since then though weve never seen 3 and back to back is extremely rare

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope somebody beats 'em.....anybody, even OSU, just beat 'em.

Because it's like baseball said, if they win 3 in a row, it'll more than likely turn into 4-5-6 in a row.
    They're loaded.

@Bullsitter said:
    I hope somebody beats 'em.....anybody, even OSU, just beat 'em.

Because it's like baseball said, if they win 3 in a row, it'll more than likely turn into 4-5-6 in a row.
    They're loaded.

Even if they lose this year theyre probably at the start of a Saban type run especially with the 12 team playoff coming. Theyll be in it basically every year. As of now they have a strong commitment from Riola whose the top rated QB next year and has been out recruiting other 5 stars to come join him at GA like NBA players do

Its not locked in yet, but unless some get flipped they currently have the number 1 QB, CB, and LB committed for next year and the number 1 recruiting class. Theres only 1 5 star that hasnt committed anywhere left thats an OT that seems to be leaning towards Bama or FL with Oklahoma/OSU/Colorado also trying to get him.

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the betting world there is an old adage called "the holy ghost". Any 3 wins in a row. Example: a horse to win 3 in a row,jockey to win 3 races on a card. I don't usually bet against that angle. But with your example this would cover 3 years, not a short time frame like a horse or jockey in my example. Would be quite the achievement. I would only take the bet if they were not favorites to do this.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sports prior to WWII were terrible and not worthy of even thinking about today.

The same can arguably be said for sports from WWII through the 1970s, the 1980s and even the 1990s. Played by a bunch of people [now very old or even dead] each of whom is a has been (or even worse each of who is a never was).

So says many sports fans of today who are part of the coveted 18-35 year old demographic.

:)

@SanctionII said:
    Sports prior to WWII were terrible and not worthy of even thinking about today.

The same can arguably be said for sports from WWII through the 1970s, the 1980s and even the 1990s. Played by a bunch of people [now very old or even dead] each of whom is a has been (or even worse each of who is a never was).

So says many sports fans of today who are part of the coveted 18-35 year old demographic.

:)

Has nothing to do with age or the era. College football is not a professional sport, you didnt have to go through other teams to win back then. 1923 Michigan played the Quantico Marines, as late as 1928 (maybe later) Michigan State was playing the Chicago YMCA as an official game on their schedule. Princeton claims to have won 28 national titles in football from 1950 and earlier.

There were 3-4 teams claiming basically every year back then. 3 of the 4 Cal years had claims from 4 teams each year. The 3 Minnesota years has 3 teams, 3 teams 4 teams and 2 teams claim the championships for those years in the 30s. Minnesota claimed in 1936 as well for a 4th in a row.

It was a dumpster fire for claiming titles and should be taken with a grain of salt for that time period. As late as we 2003 had a legitimate claim for two with LSU and USC and everyone wished they would have played an extra game to settle it but we were left with a split championship

The system itself is significantly better over the last 30-40 years

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LandrysFedora said:
    They sure look on track for another title, but keep an eye on those Washington Huskies.

hey now... B)