Home Sports Talk

Do you think the NFL will catch on in Europe?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just noticed the Dolphins vs Chiefs game is going to be played in Germany, I know they play a lot in England, I also heard that they might want to start a team in London someday.

Comments

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it will. i have heard that the Germans, especially, like American football.

in the European games i have watched, the crowds are great/loud and seem to be buying the merch as well.

It can only lead to a better game all around if it does become very popular. maybe they could start having club football leagues and start growing some draftable players! If that were to happen, though, I imagine it would hurt their soccer leagues as pro quality athletes would be playing football instead

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like it's popular and I think it's good for Europe to host games

Definitely not thinking it's a good move to place a team over there though

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

The NFL has zero conceivable chance of flourishing anywhere outside the US, for a long list of reasons. Yes a NFL game once in a while as a novelty act of sorts, can be successful. However a NFL team with a regular schedule in Europe, won't ever happen.

The NFL does this for one reason and one reason only, to create gambling interest in the games for the European market. In which sports betting, as big as it is here in the states, is a mega industry in Europe and has been for a long time.

I can't speak for any details because I do not know, but I would have to believe that huge European gambling sites such as Betfair, have some sort of financial interest, partnered with the NFL from these games played in Europe.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was talking with a buddy about this game and the first thing he said was, "is Taylor Swift going to make the trip to Germany?" That's it, I've had enough of this, I can't take anymore!

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    The NFL has zero conceivable chance of flourishing anywhere outside the US, for a long list of reasons. Yes a NFL game once in a while as a novelty act of sorts, can be successful. However a NFL team with a regular schedule in Europe, won't ever happen.

The NFL does this for one reason and one reason only, to create gambling interest in the games for the European market. In which sports betting, as big as it is here in the states, is a mega industry in Europe and has been for a long time.

I can't speak for any details because I do not know, but I would have to believe that huge European gambling sites such as Betfair, have some sort of financial interest, partnered with the NFL from these games played in Europe.

Pretty much this. A couple games is a novelty for them and they really like it, a bunch of Americans go over for those games as well. Theyre getting close to having to many games there and players dont like those games overall. NFL Europe failed already and putting a team there would be worse than putting a team in Hawaii. Between the taxes and the long travel for every game most players would not want to be based out of there. Soccer will always be king in Europe even if the league moved there anyways.

A team from London or Germany having to play a west coast team would be a nightmare for players and limiting them to east coast teams would be a bad look for the league. A couple games a year is the right balance to expand it. There has been talk of a London SB which just seems like a terrible idea

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dolphins vs Chiefs game is going to be played in Germany... I have my record button already set for that one and besides that's a Way Too Early start for me; I'll still be catching up on my college football recordings.... :)