Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Cert verification error - Item Intentionally Removed from Database

I purchased a card on ebay from a large seller that deals with graded cards. I received the card and attempted to add it to my registry and was told it wasn't valid. I then did a cert check and it says the cert number was intentionally removed from the db. The same thing happened to the cert # right in front of it but the other cards around it (same sport, similar players/years) are all still there. I sent an email inquiry and haven't gotten a response yet and can't get through by phone. It seems very odd. Card looks good in the holder and appears to be authentic. I only have a few days to start a return and seller has already said they would take it. I've seen this before with the fake Jordan slabs but this is something I've never run into before.

Any suggestions? Have you had this issue before and gotten it resolved or should I just go with the return and try again?

Comments

• Options
    davin72davin72 Posts: 88 ✭✭✭

Wait for PSA to answer you first. This happened to me once and it was a mistake on their end and weren’t sure why it was taken out. After they figured it out I was able to add it a few days later after they got it added back in.

• Options
    firstbase23firstbase23 Posts: 450 ✭✭✭

It might be reported as stolen. Happened to me once.

Matt

• Options
    envoy982envoy982 Posts: 368 ✭✭✭

So PSA responded today, card was reported as stolen. I've contacted the seller and initiated a return. I let the seller know PSA reported it as stolen and gave PSA the info from the auction. Hopefully the rightful owner gets his card back.

• Options

Glad PSA got back to you in a timely manner. Can I DM you to get the info of the card? There are a few people I'm aware of that had a few cards go missing.

• Options

It was a 1976 Topps Jack Lambert

• Options

I just had this happen as well with a card I just purchased. Thank you for the info and I will reach out to PSA also.

• Options

I'm late to this thread but I have come across 4-5 in the last couple of years. I tried to contact PSA but you have to be the owner of the card for them to release the info. These were cards that I wanted to buy but backed off due to the uncertainty of the Registry listing. I contacted the seller but they never replied.

• Options

Just to circle back on this one - I returned this card to the seller and inquired about it being returned to the original owner. The seller said they got it from an auction house and wouldn't know anything else about it. I told them if it was to be cleared and they got it back, I would gladly repurchase it. They told me they didn't know what the original place would do or if it would be for sale again and we left it at that. Fast-forward a month or so and the card shows up for sale again by the same seller. I end up with the winning bid (card is now available in the cert verification) and it costs me $13 more than the first time I won it. I'm not really sure what to make of all the hassle but happy to own the card

• Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 250 ✭✭✭

PSA is synonymous with transparency!

I got a '86 Fleer Ewing sticker as part of a bunch of cards from a dealer at the '23 national. I didn't need the PSA 9 Ewing sticker for my '86 Fleer set so I listed it on eBay.

When I purchase on eBay I always check the cert with whoever the slab is from, but when I am at a dealer talking about fleshing out a deal and adding in a $100 card... that's never really been on my mind (before).

Please bear with the poor scans. I only took these for the purpose of my conversation with PSA.

Anyways. After I listed it, just to be sure, I checked the cert # and say the "intentionally deactivated" and took down the listing. Now. I was relieved that it was not "accidentally deactivated" and decided to contact PSA and ask them what's up...

1. What is up with this slab? fake? stolen? mech issue?
    2. Do you want me to send it in?

Boy was I surprised.

Thank you for reaching out to PSA Customer Care. My name is Bradley, and I'll gladly help with this inquiry.

This certification has been deactivated; only the original submitter can have the certification reactivated. If you can, I would suggest returning the card to the dealer you purchased it from.

If you have any other questions, please let us know, and thank you for choosing PSA.

So. The dealer. I need to take better notes because I had no idea who I bought it from. That's a dead-end for me. I responded to PSA... Try #2.

This was an inexpensive card and I don't recall the dealer. I also don't know if they were the original submitter. I was expecting you guys to explain why it was deactivated and what I should do with the card... I was about to sell this card until I realized that it was deactivated. I could send it into PSA to regrade or reholder or destroy or whatever... I'll need some better direction here.

They've gotta tell me something, right? There must be some reason. I don't need to know the whole story about how this particular card was smuggled out of wherever in whoever, but... you know. it's fake, stolen, or we screwed up when we slabbed it... something.

Unfortunately, because of our privacy policy, I can't tell you why it was deactivated. I can tell you it was not reported lost or stolen. But I can tell you, in all likelihood, this cert will never be reactivated. I can't tell you what to do with it, but if it is sent to us in the holder that it is currently in, it will not be serviced.

Oh well. I figured I could toss a bit of a passive-aggressive-ridiculing-taking-my-ball-and-going-home goodbye at them...

I’ll crack it out and send it in for grading. But. Let me give you some advice to pass up and along. If you guys can’t figure out how to consistently grade cards and how to handle customer service appropriately you won’t be long for business. I can’t think of any valid reason that you would not disclose the disposition of the card so I can only imagine it makes PSA look bad. Good luck.

So... hit that one back over the net and was quickly defeated!

I'll pass along your comments to management.

PSA: 1 Me: 0

And to really rub it in...

Oof. first time ever... after easily cracking 200 flabs in my life... this one split midway down the card vertically and then straight to the side allowing the case to wedge in a way that creased the top middle of the card... I'll never know what the deal was now.

Check-Mate.

The Sun doesn't feel as warm.
    Whiskey doesn't taste as sweet.

All in good fun, but still something PSA isn't doing well is customer service.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to CU.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox