Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

First Graded Card Submission. Pack fresh 1959 Baseball and Football. GRADES POPPED!

PatriotTradingPatriotTrading Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

Utilizing the 50's grading special for my first submission. I narrowed it down to 23 cards. No notable names except Bart Starr, Bobby Layne and Luis Aparicio. These are from 1959 cello packs so the color is outstanding along with the corners and edges. Centering is off on the Starr so hoping for a 7. With how they are grading recently, that's what I expect on most of them. If I get better, I'll be content. I should hit a few 8's though and if I'm lucky, maybe better.




Tagged:

Comments

  • Pics

  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Good luck on the grades! Bobby Layne was the Man and his curse on Detroit lives on!

    Bobby Layne seethed with anger as he emptied his locker. The Lions had just traded him—one of the NFL's greatest players, a quarterback who helped them win three championships—for a prospect and some draft picks. It was just two games into the 1958 season. The Lions were the defending NFL champs. The trade was simply inexplicable.

    Teammates and beat writers milled about as the colorful, quotable and wildly popular Layne packed his belongings into a suitcase for Pittsburgh. As he left the Lions locker room for the last time, Layne delivered a parting shot at his foolish former employers. This team will not win for another 50 years, he said.

    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

    Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Lol no pics. What a tease.

    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • @Cakes said:
    Good luck on the grades! Bobby Layne was the Man and his curse on Detroit lives on!

    Bobby Layne seethed with anger as he emptied his locker. The Lions had just traded him—one of the NFL's greatest players, a quarterback who helped them win three championships—for a prospect and some draft picks. It was just two games into the 1958 season. The Lions were the defending NFL champs. The trade was simply inexplicable.

    Teammates and beat writers milled about as the colorful, quotable and wildly popular Layne packed his belongings into a suitcase for Pittsburgh. As he left the Lions locker room for the last time, Layne delivered a parting shot at his foolish former employers. This team will not win for another 50 years, he said.

    Stafford was drafted right about 50 years after that statement. Thought I read he and Layne went to the same high school. It felt like the stars had aligned and he would be the one to break it. And he did win a Super Bowl, the first year he had been traded away from Detroit. Kind of added to the curse. But its been 50 years. Maybe its dead. Go Lions. I think they clinched the division. That's a start right?

  • Great story on the Bobby Layne. Appreciate you sharing it. I learned something new and no doubt, there is some legitimacy to it. The Lions had a Top 5 running back (Barry Sanders) and wide receiver (Calvin Johnson) the NFL has ever seen and won nothing. Then Stafford doing what he did, talk about rubbing it in.

    As for the cards, sorry about the photos. They are somewhat distorted. The corners are definitely sharp on all of them. You can see how far off the centering on the Starr is. The Summerall has staining and is slightly diamond cut but I grew up listening to him as an announcer so had to get it slabbed. The Aparicio is OC too and has a fisheye now that I'm looking at a photo. It still should be a nice upgrade to someone's collection. Hoping for the best but prepared for the worst!

  • RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭

    In the other thread, you said a print dot and a slight rounded corner justified a PSA5 on that Ripken, and you expect 7s and 8s on your cards?
    The Starr has print dots or surface issues, the Layne looks like a miscut, and the Aparicio has 2 pretty bad rounded corners.
    If you get 7s and 8s, I want the name of that grader.

  • PatriotTradingPatriotTrading Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2023 3:23AM

    Let it go dawg.

  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Hard to estimate grades with those photos, but I like those cards!
    Good luck!
    Please post results.

    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • 80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭

    4s and 5s

  • These are actually the worst of the 23 I sent in. > @JoeBanzai said:

    Hard to estimate grades with those photos, but I like those cards!
    Good luck!
    Please post results.

    Yeah, I wasn't about to take photos of all of them particularly when they were coming out like that. Sadly, the stars were the lesser conditioned ones. The commons were far better. I will definitely update the post properly.

  • PatriotTradingPatriotTrading Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2023 7:04AM

    @80sOPC said:
    4s and 5s

    These were literally fresh from cello packs, so doubtful there are any 4s. The only cards that showed anything more serious than print flaws or centering was a Hornung with slight edge damage, so it didn't make the cut. As for a PSA 5, the corners are rather sharp. I wouldn't sub any 1950's card from this break with a rounded corner. The only other issue I can think of are any diamond cuts but I'm seeing some 1959 6's and 7's with that issue.

  • PatriotTradingPatriotTrading Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2023 7:21AM

    Here are some of the cards that didn't make the cut:




  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @UlyssesExtravaganza said:

    @Cakes said:
    Good luck on the grades! Bobby Layne was the Man and his curse on Detroit lives on!

    Bobby Layne seethed with anger as he emptied his locker. The Lions had just traded him—one of the NFL's greatest players, a quarterback who helped them win three championships—for a prospect and some draft picks. It was just two games into the 1958 season. The Lions were the defending NFL champs. The trade was simply inexplicable.

    Teammates and beat writers milled about as the colorful, quotable and wildly popular Layne packed his belongings into a suitcase for Pittsburgh. As he left the Lions locker room for the last time, Layne delivered a parting shot at his foolish former employers. This team will not win for another 50 years, he said.

    Stafford was drafted right about 50 years after that statement. Thought I read he and Layne went to the same high school. It felt like the stars had aligned and he would be the one to break it. And he did win a Super Bowl, the first year he had been traded away from Detroit. Kind of added to the curse. But its been 50 years. Maybe its dead. Go Lions. I think they clinched the division. That's a start right?

    That's wild about Stafford and Layne attending the same HS.

    Who was better Stafford or Eli Manning?

    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

    Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I like that Sam Huff rookie: He was a badass, the Giants went to the Championship game 4 out of his first 5 years.
    The Head coach, Jim Lee Howell of the NYG hired Lombardi as the OC and Landry as the DC. What great hires! Both left within 5 or 6 years to become head coaches . See below from wiki:

    Huff was drafted in the third round of the 1956 NFL Draft by the New York Giants. In training camp, head coach Jim Lee Howell was having a hard time coming up with a position for Huff.[10] Discouraged, Huff left camp, but was stopped at the airport by assistant (offensive) coach Vince Lombardi, who coaxed him back to camp.[10]

    Landry developed the now-popular "4–3 defense" while serving as Giants defensive coordinator.[9] It was called "4–3" because it featured four down lineman (two ends and two defensive tackles on either side of the offensive center) and three linebackers – middle, left, and right. The innovation was the middle linebacker. Previously, a lineman was placed over the center. But Landry had this person stand up and move back two yards. The Giants' middle linebacker was the legendary Sam Huff.

    Landry built the 4–3 defense around me. It revolutionized defense and opened the door for all the variations of zones and man-to-man coverage, which are used in conjunction with it today. —Sam Huff

    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

    Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭

    @PatriotTrading said:
    Here are some of the cards that didn't make the cut:




    "These were literally fresh from cello packs, so doubtful there are any 4s."

    So what grade would you assign the above pack fresh cards that you deemed didn't make the cut?

  • @Cakes said:

    @UlyssesExtravaganza said:

    @Cakes said:
    Good luck on the grades! Bobby Layne was the Man and his curse on Detroit lives on!

    Bobby Layne seethed with anger as he emptied his locker. The Lions had just traded him—one of the NFL's greatest players, a quarterback who helped them win three championships—for a prospect and some draft picks. It was just two games into the 1958 season. The Lions were the defending NFL champs. The trade was simply inexplicable.

    Teammates and beat writers milled about as the colorful, quotable and wildly popular Layne packed his belongings into a suitcase for Pittsburgh. As he left the Lions locker room for the last time, Layne delivered a parting shot at his foolish former employers. This team will not win for another 50 years, he said.

    Stafford was drafted right about 50 years after that statement. Thought I read he and Layne went to the same high school. It felt like the stars had aligned and he would be the one to break it. And he did win a Super Bowl, the first year he had been traded away from Detroit. Kind of added to the curse. But its been 50 years. Maybe its dead. Go Lions. I think they clinched the division. That's a start right?

    That's wild about Stafford and Layne attending the same HS.

    Who was better Stafford or Eli Manning?

    I am probably biased because I am big fan but I say Stafford. The thing I dont think people realize about Stafford, but it might be becoming more clear with Nacua, is he can really help guys shine or get the most out of them. The most yards a WR ever had in a season was Calvin Johnson. The second most was Cooper Kupp. Both had the same guy throwing them the ball. Both talented guys but he helps guys be their best. And Kupp was not wowing people before Stafford showed up. Very good. But then he became extraordinary. Now we see a 5th round rookie who was on like a 150 catch 2000 yard pace for a while when Kupp was out. Struggled on the Lions but hard to blame him. First year on a competitive team, he wins a Bowl. And he played a big role. Tough now because he is in a similar spot as he was in Detroit trying to win with a losing hand.

    Eli definitely deserves some credit. He stepped up twice in a huge way when it mattered most, just getting a foot in the door and being able to go the distance. I think for a brief period of time he was a very special talented QB. But that might have only been 5 years. The rest he was capable, often deserving of a starting job and spent a lot of time building the counting stats.

    Biased in that sense too. My dad raised me to dislike Elway as the silver spoon in his mouth entitled kid who felt he was above the draft process who should be able to pick where he played. Got his dad involved in the gameplan. Then Eli was that all over again. One of my least favorite players ever. Hoping Caleb does not become that because I wanted to like him. But we are already hearing his dad say he may not want to play for some teams. Time has passed though and he might be playing himself out of that no doubt overall first pick. I'd take Maye today.

  • PatriotTradingPatriotTrading Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2023 6:32PM

    @RonSportscards said:

    So what grade would you assign the above pack fresh cards that you deemed didn't make the cut?

    These weren't submitted hence the "didn't make the cut" so there is no expectation. They're beaters, so the sh*t cards from this break. But yeah, just let it go dawg.

  • RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭

    @PatriotTrading said:

    @RonSportscards said:

    So what grade would you assign the above pack fresh cards that you deemed didn't make the cut?

    These weren't submitted hence the "didn't make the cut" so there is no expectation. They're beaters, so the sh*t cards from this break. But yeah, just let it go dawg.

    Hence why I asked what grade YOU would assign to these pack fresh cards.
    Don't understand why you're so afraid to answer a question.
    Are you now saying pack fresh cards can be "beaters?"

  • PatriotTradingPatriotTrading Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2023 8:43PM

    @RonSportscards said:

    @PatriotTrading said:

    @RonSportscards said:

    So what grade would you assign the above pack fresh cards that you deemed didn't make the cut?

    These weren't submitted hence the "didn't make the cut" so there is no expectation. They're beaters, so the sh*t cards from this break. But yeah, just let it go dawg.

    Hence why I asked what grade YOU would assign to these pack fresh cards.
    Don't understand why you're so afraid to answer a question.
    Are you now saying pack fresh cards can be "beaters?"

    You seemed to have misinterpreted what I wrote. Of the 23 cards I submitted, it's doubtful there are any 4's. Though spider creases and other major damage like corner and edge dents are possible from packs, the cards from the break were screened and only the nicest of the 36 were submitted. I could care less about the cards that didn't make the cut. So yes, these are my beaters from my break because they are my cards. It makes zero sense to attach a PSA grade "hope" to them if I'm not submitting them. Ultimately, PSA assigns a grade on what we do sub and all we can do is hope! I'll learn, adjust and move forward! You can too!

  • HarnessracingHarnessracing Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2, 2023 9:09AM

    Only thing to say.
    Eli beat the so called GOAT not ONCE but TWICE in the Super Bowl
    May have had some bad years but also ran for his life for many with horrible offensive lines. Got knocked down and always got up. He’s a HOFer in my book and always will be no matter what.
    You don’t talk bad about Eli in Giant Country plus I think he’s a funny guy. Love the Corona commercials

  • RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭

    @PatriotTrading said:

    @RonSportscards said:

    @PatriotTrading said:

    @RonSportscards said:

    So what grade would you assign the above pack fresh cards that you deemed didn't make the cut?

    These weren't submitted hence the "didn't make the cut" so there is no expectation. They're beaters, so the sh*t cards from this break. But yeah, just let it go dawg.

    Hence why I asked what grade YOU would assign to these pack fresh cards.
    Don't understand why you're so afraid to answer a question.
    Are you now saying pack fresh cards can be "beaters?"

    You seemed to have misinterpreted what I wrote. Of the 23 cards I submitted, it's doubtful there are any 4's. Though spider creases and other major damage like corner and edge dents are possible from packs, the cards from the break were screened and only the nicest of the 36 were submitted.

    Thanks for correcting what you said earlier. It didn't make sense before.

    I could care less about the cards that didn't make the cut. It makes zero sense to attach a PSA grade "hope" to them if I'm not submitting them.

    Interesting. But I was asking what YOU would grade them at. Nothing to do with PSA.
    I figured you would jump at the chance to show your grading prowess, since you were so confident in your grading assessment and so critical of others' opinions in grading. That's my mistake.

    I'll learn, adjust and move forward!

    Ok. That's awesome!

  • Eli Manning wont be a first ballot HOFer but he will eventually make it. He has a solid balance between the statistical requirements and post-season success. Beating TB12 twice is significant. His Monday night deal with his brother helps too.

  • mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Nice cards…happy to see a few 8s!

    mint_only_pls
  • 23 Card Order, lowest grades were a PSA 5.5 and PSA 6.5. Yeah half grades! The rest were PSA 7 or PSA 8!

  • PatriotTradingPatriotTrading Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    edited February 5, 2024 8:12PM

    @Cakes said:
    Good luck on the grades! Bobby Layne was the Man and his curse on Detroit lives on!

    Bobby Layne seethed with anger as he emptied his locker. The Lions had just traded him—one of the NFL's greatest players, a quarterback who helped them win three championships—for a prospect and some draft picks. It was just two games into the 1958 season. The Lions were the defending NFL champs. The trade was simply inexplicable.

    Teammates and beat writers milled about as the colorful, quotable and wildly popular Layne packed his belongings into a suitcase for Pittsburgh. As he left the Lions locker room for the last time, Layne delivered a parting shot at his foolish former employers. This team will not win for another 50 years, he said.

    As a Niners fan, I appreciate Bobby Layne and whomever did him dirty. :D

  • brad31brad31 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Those are great looking cards.

  • DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Great results, that Layne is a great hit! Love Summerall too.

    Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

    Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox, 1968 Venz Sox

  • BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 910 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Those are all beautiful! So cool.

    Love that Summerall.

  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 6, 2024 11:13AM

    How is Layne not worth more? He has the stats and his nickname was the blonde bomber.

    He was also an amazing College Pitcher.

    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

    Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 562 ✭✭✭✭

    Nice looking cards….

    Thanks so much for sharing!!!

    The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 934 ✭✭✭✭

    Those are gorgeous! Congrats!!

    Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

    SWEET!

    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • 19591959 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

    I have that set in 8's and your 7's look like my 8's. It seems that PSA (AI) deducts top to bottom centering from an 9 to a 7. (assuming your corners are pack fresh). Super cards.

Sign In or Register to comment.