Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

IMEX Nashville October 2023 Show Report

P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

Arrived 30 mins before doors opened, and glad I did as the registration process was illogically split into three lines—one to get your info/ID checked, a second to pay to fee, and a third to get the admission bracelet. There was a lot of room for improvement here and many folks in line griped about it. On a positive note, mustard was in ample supply.

While in line, the show organizers introduced the state legislators from TN who had fought for years to repeal the tax on coins and bullion, which they successfully accomplished last year, and which was part of the impetus for this show. Steve Forbes came up after and announced that “without money, we’d still be living in caves.”

Didn’t take any photos of the bourse but the opening door rush was probably around 200 people. My show plan was not rigid but I had a few goals: 1) buy something I like, 2) sell some stuff I brought and 3) drop my submission off at PCGS.

My first success came at a California dealer’s table and it was a two-for-one as we managed to work out the always elusive even trade. I let a 1914-S MS64 PanPac $1 go in exchange for this 1899 MS63 $2.5 Lib rattler. The dealer said “an old guy brought it into my shop last week, and I haven’t sent it to CAC,” which I (mentally) rolled my eyes at until he showed me another rattler with a consecutive cert # which lent a little credibility to the story. I passed on the other coin.

I brought the coin over to @DeplorableDan who was working the @numismattack table, and challenged him to an in-person GTG. After covering the grade with a sticker, Dan rendered his verdict and NAILED it—“it’s probably in a 63 holder but would go 64 or better”, which was my exact thought process when I bought it. It will definitely go to CAC in my next shipment.

After that I sold a 1934 MS65 Peace Dollar duplicate to Bob Paul Rare Coins, and dropped off my submissions at PCGS. I’m having my entire Peace set regraded (if no CAC) or reconsidered (if CAC). There’s a quarterly special right now where the 5th graded coin is free. Attendance looked light when I left around 2:30PM.

I grabbed a handful of mustard packets on the way out so I’ll have a nice snack on the flight back. All in all it was well worth the 10 Rhode Island AI dollars I paid for admission, but they have a ways to go to turn this into a national caliber show.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

Comments

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nicely written and that is a pretty fantastic newp!

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

To be fair that wasn’t the only thing Forbes said, because he talked until 5 minutes after the doors were supposed open 🙄😂

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pick up @PocketChange . Gorgeous! Thanks for the show report. I was at the SCNA show that was much easier for me to attend.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report.

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2023 4:25PM

Great report. Too bad I (EDITED for autocorrect) didn't run into you. Well, maybe I did and didn’t know it 😄

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very eye catching gold, congrats on your newp.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your Peace Dollar DATE set which is entirely being reevaluated by PCGS SHOULD get many upgrades. However, my experience is they have tightened up quite a bit over the past year. However, since all of my requests have been via Reconsideration due to their stickers, hopefully you’ll do better with your regrades.

Keep us posted!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pcgscacgold said:
    Great report. Too bad I drum into you. Well, maybe I did and didn’t know it 😄

Thanks. We should have all organized a forum meetup. Let do one at winter FUN.

@winesteven said:
    Your Peace Dollar DATE set which is entirely being reevaluated by PCGS SHOULD get many upgrades. However, >my experience is they have tightened up quite a bit over the past year. However, since all of my requests have been via >Reconsideration due to their stickers, hopefully you’ll do better with your regrades.

Agreed on all points, Steve. My expectations on upgrades are low, but with the Quarterly Special I figured it was good timing, and it’ll help give the set a more “final” feeling, if that makes sense. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Here’s a pic I meant to include in my original post. Forgot which table it was. Angel Dees, maybe.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice report . . .and the supplemental pic would seem to indicate that CACG submitter either has a great eye (very few 'details') or a pile of 'details' coins sitting in a backstock area . . .

Drunner

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the show report and congrats on the CAC sticker.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

@P0CKETCHANGE said:

@pcgscacgold said:

@winesteven said:
    Your Peace Dollar DATE set which is entirely being reevaluated by PCGS SHOULD get many upgrades. However, >my experience is they have tightened up quite a bit over the past year. However, since all of my requests have been via >Reconsideration due to their stickers, hopefully you’ll do better with your regrades.

Agreed on all points, Steve. My expectations on upgrades are low, but with the Quarterly Special I figured it was good timing, and it’ll help give the set a more “final” feeling, if that makes sense. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Here’s a pic I meant to include in my original post. Forgot which table it was. Angel Dees, maybe.

While this is a nice group of coins, these are not Angel Dee's.

Angel Dee's Coins and Collectibles®
    P.O. Box 5234
    Woodbridge, VA 22194
    Phone/Fax: 703-580-6969, daily 10am-10pm EST
    E-mail: buycoins@angeldees.com

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AngelDeesCoins said:

@P0CKETCHANGE said:

@pcgscacgold said:

@winesteven said:

While this is a nice group of coins, these are not Angel Dee's.

No coin shortage there.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file