Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Obvious fake Canadian 1921 5c on Ebay..................

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

Comments

• sylsyl Posts: 937 ✭✭✭

It's gone. That coin has been offered on and off for the last few years. It is a very obvious fake when looking at the "2". I don't know if this is the same coin that has been talked about before on this and other sites, but I think that it is a different vendor.

• GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone paid $1000.00 CDN for an obvious counterfeit.

• ELuisELuis Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not know anything about Canadian coins, but have seen the real coin, the one on the left, just to compare:

It looks like they created the date, does not match at all, and as mentioned very obvious.

• sylsyl Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2023 3:54PM

Well, Ebay no longer has the "sold" serach section in the advanced search. It now just allows you to look for "sold" and/or "completed". So you don't know if what is listed actually "sold" or was taken off the market because it was fake. look at this EBay "sold" listing for the date. The obvious Chinese fakes, like this one was, sell for less than $10. However, it does look like one actually DID sell for $1700 earlier. And there were 3-4 others like the OP coin and you don't know if sold or removed. The REAL '21 looks OK.
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=1921+canada+5+cent&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&LH_PrefLoc=2

• SilverAge3SilverAge3 Posts: 42 ✭✭
    edited November 11, 2023 1:36AM

seller:todschilki0 has same coin, shows in recent sales repeatedly, at least twice. Plus, as a buyer tons of sellers saying he never paid, tho they mention they are unable to leave negative feedback, so if not reading these, it looks all positive.