Home Sports Talk

Wayne Gretzk'ys 894 goald record and Alexander Ovechkin chasing that record

TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally I hope he does not pass it but he just may do it. As a Canadian I prefer Wayne holding that record. But all is good in sports so it is what it is and Ovechkin is one heck of a player.

Comments

• TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

So far Ovechkin has 2 goals in 6 games and has a total of 824 career goals. So 70 to tie and 71 to pass Gretzky.

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭✭

Ovi will almost certainly break it, but thats what happens when you lead the league in shots every year and score more goals than assists which are mostly just assists from being put in on a rebound. Ovi is a great player no doubt, but also a selfish one that hasnt had more than 90 points in a season since he was 24 despite how much he scores

Wayne never had a season with more goals than assists, since the age of 25 Ovi has had 1 season with more assists than goals and only 4 total in his career

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:
    Ovi will almost certainly break it, but thats what happens when you lead the league in shots every year and score more goals than assists which are mostly just assists from being put in on a rebound. Ovi is a great player no doubt, but also a selfish one that hasnt had more than 90 points in a season since he was 24 despite how much he scores

Wayne never had a season with more goals than assists, since the age of 25 Ovi has had 1 season with more assists than goals and only 4 total in his career

what a weird take. :D
    back in those days they handed out assists like candy on halloween. Gretzkys numbers are padded by that and the way the game was played back then added 100 goals a year to edmontons stats that would not even be scored today
    much harder over Ovechkins career to score 894 goals than it was in the 80's

• ApplejacksApplejacks Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

@Basebal21 said:

much harder over Ovechkins career to score 894 goals than it was in the 80's

Yes and no.
    Not worth the time getting into though.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

with only 71 to go, it is just a matter of time. probably late next season.

Never dreamed i would see it in my lifetime.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 616 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

Ain't over til it's over.

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ovechkin has also missed out on basically two full seasons thanks to lockouts and COVID.

So far 2 goals in 10 games on that ratio he may hit 20-25 goals total this year.

edited November 6, 2023 5:32PM

His age is showing. Nearing 40.

Dylan Strome having zero assists and Nicklas Backstrom being injured (and now away from the team) are large factors in Alex's slow start.

@Tabe said:
    Dylan Strome having zero assists and Nicklas Backstrom being injured (and now away from the team) are large factors in Alex's slow start.

He’s 16th in the league in shots on goal. He’s just not clicking, like NJs power play is at .43%. That is an amazing stat, but it’s early.

By the way, I like Ovie, just hope he doesn’t break the record.

The NHL’s team USA is looking younger and better every day.
    Not that any of them will reach 99 either. 😉

@Applejacks said:

@Tabe said:

He’s 16th in the league in shots on goal. He’s just not clicking,

That's what happens when your top two centers are doing nothing.

@Tabe said:

@Applejacks said:

@Tabe said:

Doing nothing is not quite the story.

Strome has 6 goals on 23 shots.
    Ovie has 2 goals on 43 shots.

Strome is obviously doing a lot more then Ovie.

Strome’s 0 assists tells us that either

A - Ovie finally has a center that is going to make him pass also and not just be a pretty boy the way Bäckström pandered to him.

Or

B. Strome coming from Ontario has friends and family that are telling him to shoot more and not pass to Ovie to protect Gretzky.

In the end Ovie has no one to blame but himself.

He has two goals on 43 shots.
    That is absolutely pathetic.

To blame his centers, yes Bäckström is over the hill, is not the full story.

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭✭

I know the plus minus is a team thing, but are we just going to ignore that Ovis career plus minus is only a 67 despite all the goals hes scored and that even includes a -35 in a 50 goal season in his prime where he lead the league in shots? Most shots in history by far with tons of talent around him feeding him the puck all the time. Trying to play defense is part of the game

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Applejacks said:

@Tabe said:

@Applejacks said:

@Tabe said:

A - Ovie finally has a center that is going to make him pass also and not just be a pretty boy the way Bäckström pandered to him.

Or

B. Strome coming from Ontario has friends and family that are telling him to shoot more and not pass to Ovie to protect Gretzky.

A center's job is to pass the puck. If your center has 0 assists after more than about 2 games, he sucks at being a center.

@Tabe said:

@Applejacks said:

@Tabe said:

@Applejacks said:

@Tabe said:

Or

A center's job is to pass the puck. If your center has 0 assists after more than about 2 games, he sucks at being a center.

Not unless the guy he keeps passing to sucks at shooting, like Ovie is so far this year.

Strome is a much better scorer then 8 right now, so why pass it to him ?

Baseball- people here do not understand the value of plus minus.
    You’re better off going in the back room of your basement and talking to your concrete blocks about that one.

FYI - A center’s job is to make sure that his line scores and to make sure the other line he’s against doesn’t.
    He also needs to win more face offs.

Dylan Strome is the only PLUS center on Washington after 10 games.

Yet you say he sucks. Ovie is the only one who sucks now. He needs 23 shots to get one goal. He belongs in junior hockey.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

So is Ovechkin washed? In a slump?

I don't watch hockey, but i do loosely follow it, I will defer to the experts here.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

@craig44 said:

I don't watch hockey, but i do loosely follow it, I will defer to the experts here.

He’s off to a slow start at age 40.
    He only has himself to blame.
    He needs to right his own ship if he can. Let’s see how great of a goal scorer he truly is.
    He’s 16th in the league in SOGs.
    He’s getting plenty of opportunities.

@craig44 said:

Just a slow start. He's still getting 4 shots a game. It'll balance out.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

I know what you mean about seeing records broke in a lifetime I felt that way about Maris,Ripkin, and then McGwire/Bonds record breaking achievements.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".