Home Sports Talk

Greatest TE ever

perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who do you take

Greatest TE ever

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gronk

    Gronk is my answer

    His blocking and ability to plow tacklers over after the catch does it for me

    Plus I'm a homer 🤷

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gronk

    Yes I misspelled Sharpe but I can't stand the guy so I'm glad I butchered his name

  • LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other?

    Jason Witten

  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @perkdog said:
    Gronk is my answer

    His blocking and ability to plow tacklers over after the catch does it for me

    Plus I'm a homer 🤷

    He was arguably the best receiving tight end ever. And an elite blocker. I'm not sure anybody else has that same combo.

  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other?

    Too tough to call.

    I abstain.

  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tony Gonzalez

    I would say Tony Gonzalez right now and reevaluate in a few years to see what kind of numbers Kelce puts up.
    Yes Gronk was asked to block more but the Chiefs recognized early how valuable both Tony and Travis were as receiving tight ends. Not their fault that their biggest asset was utilized although of course all tight ends are required to block and Gronk is probably overrated as a blocker. Don’t remember the pats ever having an outstanding running game during his time there.
    As far as catching the ball Tony Gonzalez is the best I’ve ever seen. If it hit his hands he caught it, he simply didn’t drop or fumble the football.

    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other?

    Ghost To The Post...

  • dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I'm not going to vote for a GOAT, but Other? should probably include someone who played before 1980.

    I'll nominate Mike Ditka, John Mackey and Charlie Sanders.

    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other?

    @dallasactuary said:
    I'm not going to vote for a GOAT, but Other? should probably include someone who played before 1980.

    I'll nominate Mike Ditka, John Mackey and Charlie Sanders.

    hey dallasactuary,
    you're 2 steps ahead of me, I just was thinking Mike & John... :)

  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gronk

    Gronk was everything you wanted in a TE. I understand that his availability can be used against him in an argument. But he did it all. He was old school. And new school.

    I don't, as my esteemed colleague mentioned above, consider him overrated in the blocking department.

  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @dallasactuary said:
    I'm not going to vote for a GOAT, but Other? should probably include someone who played before 1980.

    I'll nominate Mike Ditka, John Mackey and Charlie Sanders.

    Sanders always played well against the Purple People Eaters.
    Ditka was a stud.
    Didn't see much of Mackey, but he was a great one too!

    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭✭

    In terms of just pure psychical ability it was Gates, in terms of numbers Its Gonzalez and Kelce does have an outside chance of catching him. Gates would have very likely passed Gonzalez if he didnt have so many injury issues

  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gronk

    we need more choices from the 1930's !!!

    said no one ever

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gronk

    @LandrysFedora said:
    Jason Witten

    I am shocked at myself for forgetting him

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gronk

    @dallasactuary said:
    I'm not going to vote for a GOAT, but Other? should probably include someone who played before 1980.

    I'll nominate Mike Ditka, John Mackey and Charlie Sanders.

    All great choices for sure, I was thinking of putting in Ditka but didn't want the list to be too long

    The guys you listed were great but you could put Gronk in any era and he would dominate. Not sure if you would agree with that or just say it's not anything you would consider lol

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2023 2:58AM
    Gronk

    @bronco2078 said:
    we need more choices from the 1930's !!!

    said no one ever

    😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄

  • ApplejacksApplejacks Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2023 3:59AM
    Gronk

    I voted Gronkowski only because there was no choice for Mac Speedie.

    Great name for a tight end, eh ?

    Caught a 99 yard TD pass from Otto Graham once.

  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gronk

    Gronk was the complete package. And I am an unabashed homer.

    But still, I think Gronk can hold his own with anyone.

    George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gronk

    I do think that tony gonzalez would probably have been the goat had he been drafted 15-18 years later and been able to play in the modern pass-happy game for his whole career. The man had as good a hands as i have ever seen on a tight end.

    George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Travis Kelce

    Travis Kelce. If it wasn't for his tight end Taylor Swift would not have given him a second look.

    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

    Ralph

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gronk

    @Applejacks said:
    I voted Gronkowski only because there was no choice for Mac Speedie.

    Great name for a tight end, eh ?

    Caught a 99 yard TD pass from Otto Graham once.

    But Speedie was a WR no?

    Speaking of him he never gets enough talk, Paul Brown hated him and ruined his career, it's a shame he went to Canada to get away from Brown.

    Brown was a dirtbag honestly, he never helped Motley out after his career ended

  • ApplejacksApplejacks Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2023 5:55AM
    Gronk

    @perkdog said:

    @Applejacks said:
    I voted Gronkowski only because there was no choice for Mac Speedie.

    Great name for a tight end, eh ?

    Caught a 99 yard TD pass from Otto Graham once.

    But Speedie was a WR no?

    Speaking of him he never gets enough talk, Paul Brown hated him and ruined his career, it's a shame he went to Canada to get away from Brown.

    Brown was a dirtbag honestly, he never helped Motley out after his career ended

    He’s listed as LE, or left end.
    Much faster then Gronkowski.
    Set conference records for hurdling at Utah. Graham said he was impossible to cover one on one at 6’3 with that speed. Brown and him did not get along.





  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2023 8:06AM
    Gronk

    @Applejacks said:

    @perkdog said:

    @Applejacks said:
    I voted Gronkowski only because there was no choice for Mac Speedie.

    Great name for a tight end, eh ?

    Caught a 99 yard TD pass from Otto Graham once.

    But Speedie was a WR no?

    Speaking of him he never gets enough talk, Paul Brown hated him and ruined his career, it's a shame he went to Canada to get away from Brown.

    Brown was a dirtbag honestly, he never helped Motley out after his career ended

    He’s listed as LE, or left end.
    Much faster then Gronkowski.
    Set conference records for hurdling at Utah. Graham said he was impossible to cover one on one at 6’3 with that speed. Brown and him did not get along.





    The "End" position back then wasn't your typical TE though, more or less a Flanker type position I believe

  • dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @perkdog said:

    @dallasactuary said:
    I'm not going to vote for a GOAT, but Other? should probably include someone who played before 1980.

    I'll nominate Mike Ditka, John Mackey and Charlie Sanders.

    All great choices for sure, I was thinking of putting in Ditka but didn't want the list to be too long

    The guys you listed were great but you could put Gronk in any era and he would dominate. Not sure if you would agree with that or just say it's not anything you would consider lol

    I have nothing but respect for Gronk, and I'm as comfortable as I can get saying he was the GOHOT (greatest of his own time). But I'm a lot less comfortable saying he would have better than John Mackey at the game Mackey was playing, or than Mike Ditka playing the game Ditka was playing. But that's just me; Gronk is certainly as good a choice as any for GOAT.

    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2023 3:27PM
    Gronk

    @dallasactuary said:

    @perkdog said:

    @dallasactuary said:
    I'm not going to vote for a GOAT, but Other? should probably include someone who played before 1980.

    I'll nominate Mike Ditka, John Mackey and Charlie Sanders.

    All great choices for sure, I was thinking of putting in Ditka but didn't want the list to be too long

    The guys you listed were great but you could put Gronk in any era and he would dominate. Not sure if you would agree with that or just say it's not anything you would consider lol

    I have nothing but respect for Gronk, and I'm as comfortable as I can get saying he was the GOHOT (greatest of his own time). But I'm a lot less comfortable saying he would have better than John Mackey at the game Mackey was playing, or than Mike Ditka playing the game Ditka was playing. But that's just me; Gronk is certainly as good a choice as any for GOAT.

    ...
    Coming from you, I consider this a win!

    ETA: one of the things about Gronk is that he did play the game in a way that was more traditional. Referring to how he played as a TE, and the physicality he brought.

  • Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2023 4:03PM

    I remember when Antonio Gates played basketball for Kent State (forward). Helped Kent to a 30-6 record in 2001 then took them to the elite 8 in the 2002 NCAA tourney. He signed as an undrafted free agent with the Chargers and the rest is history.

  • Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Gotta go with home cooking and go with the Wizard of OZ......

Sign In or Register to comment.