Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is this a Double Die ?

Bear007Bear007 Posts: 13
edited October 22, 2023 9:37PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Is this a Double Die ? It's basically just on the R in , E•PLURIBUS•UNUM When I turn the coin you can see how it only stay on the R and disappears off the I

Answers

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2023 9:41PM

Looks more like shelf doubling.
    I don't see the "split tips" that should be there on a doubled die.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, just the usual Machine Doubling (MD)

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking at random coins of random dates will get you nowhere. Study known varieties, learn what they look like, then search for them.

• jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

@IkesT said:
    Looking at random coins of random dates will get you nowhere. Study known varieties, learn what they look like, then search for them.

@Bear007 please respond to the post from IkesT and confirm that you understand and will follow his advice.

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also...
    the correct term is doubled die not double die. This reflects that the doubling comes from the preparation of the die itself and will be apparent on EVERY coin struck by that die.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭✭✭

Calling it a double die also could reflect the fact that the error was made in the die before striking. I understand why you prefer "doubled" but where can I find a list of correct numismatic terms vs incorrect usages? I'm not sure "double die" is incorrect. Either way, it's really nitpicking.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • JBKJBK Posts: 15,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sellitstore said:
    I'm not sure "double die" is incorrect. Either way, it's really nitpicking.

"Double die" is absolutely incorrect, Furthermore, it's usage suggests that the user doesn't fully understand what it is, which is the larger issue.

• habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2023 4:05PM

here you go........

https://www.pcgs.com/lingo/d

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

They include slang, though, in their online dictionary, such as "penny". :o:D

• FrazFraz Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome @Bear007 — stick around, read, you’ll pick up a lot.
    Double die, DD, DDO, DDR are hawker’s buzz words now. There is no promise that the user of those terms knows what it means nor cares if he has a clue about the doubling that is on coin. Sellers and video-numismaticists abuse the terminology

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file