Home Sports Talk

Announcers,Please: It's JAG-U-ARS,Not JAG-WIRES

BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also it's:3 and zero, not 3 and O as in the letter O in a baseball count. When the score is 45-0 it's never said 45-O as in the letter O. Any others? My English teacher's influence. Now back to our regularly scheduled program. :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Comments

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Makes cents to me.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    Makes cents to me.

Or it could make "scents". :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • stevekstevek Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@stevek said:
    Makes cents to me.

Or it could make "scents". :)

I used "cents" to keep it relevant to the CU forum. 😎

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

anyone who pronounces it jag-wires is a jagoff

and a looser.

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not when they come play at NE, then its Jag-u-ahhs 😎

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

And if it’s it’s spelled Favre it’s pronounced Brett Fav-re not Farve.

Wednesday I have no idea what your problem is but you’re a disgrace to my calendar 🤔😩

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

So is it "colonel of corn" or "Kernel Oliver North" ?

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Also it's:3 and zero, not 3 and O as in the letter O in a baseball count. When the score is 45-0 it's never said 45-O as in the letter O. Any others? My English teacher's influence. Now back to our regularly scheduled program. :)

The #1 pronunciation in multiple dictionaries is jag-wahr.

There is a car commercial for the Jag. An English bloke, I think he is, seems to pronounce it Jag u ar. Well, regardless it's not JAG-WIRES. Thank you for your input.

Is it "Dusty Rhodes",baseball player, or "Dusty Roads".

• estangestang Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2023 7:21AM

According to How to pronounce JAGUAR in English , The British pronunciation, respelled for Americans, is “jag-you-uh.” The American pronunciation is “jag-wahr.”

While many people pronounce “Porsche” as “Porsh,” that is incorrect. The correct way to pronounce “Porsche” is actually as a two-syllable word: “Por-shuh.”

Hyundai is pronounced like sunday or "Huhn-day" in the United States. However, in the UK they pronounce it "Hyun-day."

Best to just drive a Ford...

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2023 11:26AM

i live in Texas and i've heard the name of this large cat uttered many a time. i'm not saying we're right and everyone else is wrong, but if you were to open your mouth within the state border and string out jag-u-ars, there's an above average chance that a breathalyzer would be administered

ain't nobody got time for that extra syllable down here

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2023 12:57PM

https://youtu.be/sx4hER9uT5k?si=N_VlSocgKrlY6M_W

Listen to the opening of the song 😄😄😄

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    i live in Texas and i've heard the name of this large cat uttered many a time. i'm not saying we're right and everyone else is wrong, but if you were to open your mouth within the state border and string out jag-u-ars, there's an above average chance that a breathalyzer would be administered

ain't nobody got time for that extra syllable down here

are you trying to say its jag-whars?
    thats correct

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

JA +