Home Sports Talk

Which NFL team had the greatest defensive season in the 1970’s.

4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭
edited October 19, 2023 11:57PM in Sports Talk

I became interested in this because of all the Steel Curtain worship that takes place here.

From 1970 through 1981 the Eagles had the same fewest ppg seasons like the Curtain.

Miami and Minnesota and LA as well.
Yes, the Falcons had the best in the 70’s.

I think it’s time everyone understands our defense was good, but not always.

Forum members on ignore
Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
daltex

Comments

• 4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭
    edited October 20, 2023 3:28AM

An intellectual mind is going to recognize how all the NFL rule changes made it easier to score in the 1980’s. West Coast offense helped a little too.

Look at those league leaders at 15+ per game. OMG

Forum members on ignore
    Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
    daltex

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

there were a bunch of teams in the same territory, at least as far as ppg, in the mid 70's. Perhaps one of those teams could distance themselves from the pack by having given up the least yardage?

also, do those point totals include points given up on special teams and on turnovers, or is it only points given up by the defense?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

I already did this in another thread.

My Vikings had the best run (6 years, if I remember correctly) of being in the top 2 or 3 in points allowed.

I wish you guys could have seen Alan Page in his prime.

Pittsburgh was right there, the Cowboys and to my surprise the Rams had a good run as well.

A lot of teams with great defenses (mid 80's Bears) couldn't keep it going for more than a few seasons.

The salary cap makes it even harder now.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh it's limited to the '70's. That might eliminate the Vikings.

If you go back far enough you'll see the Browns had the best run ever.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set