Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Small White Anacs Holder Morgan "grading" set (progress thread)

U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

Having seen a display at a coin show of a grading set of Morgans in the new yellow slabs, I was inspired to create one of my own. I have long been a fan of the small white Anacs holders and decided to make the set more challenging, so I opted to have all of the coins be in those holders as opposed to the more modern ones (I could have made it even more difficult and went with old NGC fatties or PCGS rattlers, but I'm not that crazy).

I decided that if this were to be closer to an actual grading set, I would need to have all the coins be from one mint (now I know that still has its flaws since different dates have their own intricacies but that is as close as I could reasonably do without collecting all of the same date). The chosen mint was New Orleans (why-simply because I already had some of those).

The goal of the set is to have one of each from Poor 1 to MS 67 (I'm fairly certain there is no 68 or 69 in these holders and if there was, it would be too pricey for my budget; even a 67 will be a stretch). There are also some additional pieces, like a PL, a DMPL, an UDM, a details grade (maybe several for different types of problems), and anything unusual that catches my eye.

The small white holder had a fairly long run, including the early ANA days. I am not excluding any; so there will be ANA, 6 digit, 7 digit, etc. For some grades there are so few options available that it would not make sense to exclude any generation.

And as many collectors know, the empty spots can be a bit bothersome. So some “hole fillers” could be used or some rules might be stretched.

Please follow along in the comments of this thread to see the progress of the set as well as additional comments about the journey.

Comments

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice project to work on, good luck & success in your endeavour. Think these would fit nice in your search. Who said standards weren't changing, esp regarding the old ANACS holders.

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

@U1chicago
    I’ve been having this same thought. Recently at the Houston coin show I saw my first small holder and immediately loved it. This discussion came up with a broker/collector yesterday and he mentioned the genie on the back. I see you opened with a genie 🧞‍♂️👍

Great idea and looking forward to the progress.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem, as you well know, is there really are three era's (Taylor Swift breakup songs)

ANA ownership

Amos Press XX9999 slabs and early all numeric - transition to market grading

Amos later all numeric - market grading

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options

Below is a link to a good resource from a forum member about the history of these slabs.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1Y_6cj6X2v_ZbO4NrqlRLysVeJO1IgoqnAA51ErVhLf8/edit#slide=id.g13ceb62592e_1_672

Looking at the link provided, the MS 65 is a Gen 1 from 1989-1990 (ANA issued, predates the purchase by Amos) and the MS 64 is a Gen 6, the last of these holders, issued between 1999 and 2006.

• Options
    edited October 19, 2023 7:08PM

Moving along, we have two Gen 4 (1991-1996) slabs. They are somewhat different with the text being more bold on the MS 62 and the reverse logos being positioned higher on the 62.

As far as the coins, the 63 is nicer (as one would expect). Although my photo does not show it, the 63 has strong luster and the reverse is semi pl (has mirrored surfaces that again aren't shown the way I took the photo). It is actually baggier than the 62 but that coin has a duller obverse (reverse luster is ok). Despite neither coin being super premium (although you can make a case for the 63 being better than average for the grade), I think both grades are fair.

• Options

@BStrauss3 said:
    The problem, as you well know, is there really are three era's (Taylor Swift breakup songs)

ANA ownership

Amos Press XX9999 slabs and early all numeric - transition to market grading

Amos later all numeric - market grading

That is true and is the reason why I have “grading” in quotation marks. It’s a grading set in terms of looking for one of each grade but not so much for using as a representation of the grade.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 20, 2023 6:48AM

Love grading sets

I have done something similar with 1938d PCGS Buffs

Good luck in you endeavor.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 20, 2023 5:26PM

Here’s mine.

For some reason the holder cracked after I cleaned it, I have no idea why. :/

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fun set to put together @U1chicago . Best of luck as you move down the scale to lower grades.

• Options

@pcgscacgold said:
    Fun set to put together @U1chicago . Best of luck as you move down the scale to lower grades.

Thanks! The lower grades are coming up soon but that it also where I have gaps since they are harder to find. The MS 60 to MS 65 subset was relatively easy to complete.

• Options

@U1chicago said:

@pcgscacgold said:

Thanks! The lower grades are coming up soon but that it also where I have gaps since they are harder to find. The MS 60 to MS 65 subset was relatively easy to complete.

I would think so. Some challenges for sure. Some grades probably easy, but others hard and expensive. The reward will be a great set in the end, and the fun of the challenge along the way.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let us know what you need...

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2023 5:55PM

@BStrauss3 said:
    Let us know what you need...

AU 53 is one of my needs as will be seen in my next updates. And then there are quite a few lower grades needed too.
    Edit: I also had a want to buy post on the BST but have not received any leads from that. I'll bump it again.

• Options

Very nice. Hopefully members here can help fill in the missing 53. Now on to the 30's and 40's.

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,449 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always liked the small ANACS slab. They were designed with a 2" width so they could be stored in a standard box for 2'X2" coin flips. Also, they were big enough to house every US coin ever made with the exception of the Pan-Pac Expo. $50 gold slugs.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

Last up among the core of the grading set is a Gen 6 F12. This is the lowest grade I have among non-details pieces.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not to bum you out yet I don't think I've ever seen a PO1 small white ANACS slab Morgan before (outside of the few that have no dates).
    I'm sure they're out there, just haven't come upon one.

peacockcoins

• Options

@braddick said:
    Not to bum you out yet I don't think I've ever seen a PO1 small white ANACS slab Morgan before (outside of the few that have no dates).
    I'm sure they're out there, just haven't come upon one.

I’m also thinking it’s unlikely that I find one. Maybe it will have to be a net PO 1 (like another net one that will be featured in a future update) or I’ll just leave that spot open.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

5 or so years ago, I started collect au58 walkers in the small white ANACS holders for a short set. Loved them. Lacked 3 and changed to a BU set and sold most of the more valuable dates and finally completed the walker 27 up ms64/66. Still have many of the walker and may reattempt the set again. Look forward to your progress.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@jesbroken said:
    5 or so years ago, I started collect au58 walkers in the small white ANACS holders for a short set. Loved them. Lacked 3 and changed to a BU set and sold most of the more valuable dates and finally completed the walker 27 up ms64/66. Still have many of the walker and may reattempt the set again. Look forward to your progress.
    Jim

That’s a cool set!
    What were the 3 missing dates?

• Options

39 D, 39 S and 41 S. I only have 4 or 5 of the small white holdered Walkers left. I truly loved those holders.
    I wish ANACS would bring back obv/rev grades and utilize the small white holders, as PCGS and NGC will not. I would definitedly be a buyer.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@jesbroken said:
    39 D, 39 S and 41 S. I only have 4 or 5 of the small white holdered Walkers left. I truly loved those holders.
    I wish ANACS would bring back obv/rev grades and utilize the small white holders, as PCGS and NGC will not. I would definitedly be a buyer.
    Jim

I liked the obverse reverse grades as well. As for the the small holders, I’m not sure if it’s cost prohibitive to switch back or some other reason. However, it seems like Anacs could gain quite a few submissions if they went back to those holders (of course the important question is if that would make up the cost of switching).

• Options

Were I a company with a third ranking in its business, I would be searching for something that might raise my attractiveness to my market that appeared nonachieveable in todays current atmosphere. To take my product to a level that is currently nonachieveable by both my competitors and create a new level of competition might be something I would investigate. Just an opinion.
    Jim

• Options

@jesbroken said:
    Were I a company with a third ranking in its business, I would be searching for something that might raise my attractiveness to my market that appeared nonachieveable in todays current atmosphere. To take my product to a level that is currently nonachieveable by both my competitors and create a new level of competition might be something I would investigate. Just an opinion.
    Jim

I would as well and hope Anacs explores the possibility. And maybe they did already with less than favorable results (not as much demand as some of us that are fans of the older holders imagine there actually is).

• Options

Now for a "filler" coin, here is the "AG 3" in a Gen 6 holder. It is actually a details piece where Anacs provided a net grade. This coin is also my example for a cleaned coin. At such a low grade, I am not bothered by the cleaning. The scratch from the E to the L of "E Pluribus" is more bothersome.

• Options

@jesbroken said:
    Jim

If you are talking about ANACS, shouldn't it be fourth ranking?

• Options

Not enough evidence to even rank CACG as of yet, but no doubt a major player. Surely, Perry, you are not saying ICG would rank above ANACS. I feel ANACS would rank closer to NGC than ICG would be to ANACS. Just an opinion.
    Jim

• Options

I tried to compare PCGS-NGC-ANACS-ICG coins graded in 2022, but could never get google to obey the command. All I get is the most valuable coin graded that year, the winners of contests by each for that year and various other nonsensical answers. Tried individually to no avail. Am I just wording it incorrectly or is it guarded info?
    Jim

• Options

@jesbroken said:
    Not enough evidence to even rank CACG as of yet, but no doubt a major player. Surely, Perry, you are not saying ICG would rank above ANACS. I feel ANACS would rank closer to NGC than ICG would be to ANACS. Just an opinion.
    Jim

Based on their track record as a stickering service, most collectors are treating CACG as a legitimate top tier grading service on par with NGC and PCGS.

• Options
    PacecarPacecar Posts: 41 ✭✭

Nice! I love the old "Soapbox" holders as well. Good luck with finishing your grading set. I will keep my eyes open for you.

Pacecar
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2023 8:20PM

Now for some of the extras: a Gen 4 prooflike and a Gen 5 deep mirror prooflike. My photos don't show off the mirrors at all but they are there. You could argue that the 1904-O PL is closer to a semi-pl and that it would not meet the stricter standards of today. The DMPL is closer to making the designation but again can be argued that it is more of a PL+ than a DMPL.

eBay seller image:

GC Image:

• Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    edited November 1, 2023 6:09PM

Two more of the extras are featured next: a Gen 4 MS 62 UDM and a Gen 5 AU58 deep mirror prooflike.
    The UDM, like most of these, has very strong mirrors. I have held a few over the years and they always impress.
    The AU 58 DMPL has strong mirrors as well and a bit of wear explains the grade.

GC Image:

eBay seller image (hard to show the mirrors-I could not capture it either so that is why I used the eBay image):

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2, 2023 11:19AM

Interesting - Am putting together a CACG Morgan Dollar MS Grading Set. Have already bought one a MS63. Plan have in MS62-65. Possibly 66 too. Will also be a display (advertising) in my case at shows. Asking price will be simply cost plus if anyone asks a price on one. May even expand to AU grades.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    edited November 2, 2023 8:23PM

@AlanSki said:

I bid on that but let it go due to the crack and it looking subpar for the grade (already have the EF 45 that I think is overgraded and I don’t want another like it unless it’s super inexpensive).

• Options
    edited November 17, 2023 8:28PM

My second effort at an AU 53 proved successful (lost my prior try)! I added this Gen 6 for a reasonable $51 (reasonable in terms of what I'm willing to spend for the set; most would still consider that high for a low AU common date). The coin looks decent (seller's photo, which is below, made it look a bit worse).

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only one I have left these days

• Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish I knew. I had several that I traded off to a dealer for another coin. They were pretty nice too.
    Although I must say your putting together a nice group anyway.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

• Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crypto said:

Who did your images?
    They look awesome.
    I don't mean to hijack this thread but I am thinking of having this done with a few myself.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2023 1:00PM

@Morgan13 said:

@Crypto said:

Who did your images?
    They look awesome.
    I don't mean to hijack this thread but I am thinking of having this done with a few myself.

Todd pollock @blu62vette

He is the best

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file