Home Sports Talk

Earl Campbell

4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

How do you view him based on what you saw, plus his career numbers below?
I saw him a lot. During his 1979 MVP season he played us in the playoffs and had 15 yards on 17 carries.
I consider him one of the Top 5 backs to ever play the game. How about you ? He didn’t play long, but when he did he was worth the price of admission.

Forum members on ignore
Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
daltex

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

Again like OJ he had 5 great seasons.

I loved Earl Campbell, I remember watching him as a kid and seeing his jersey get ripped off by tacklers, at his best he was almost unstoppable

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2023 5:20AM

I think Earl is on the 2nd or 3rd tier of RB. Great when healthy, but he was only healthy for 5 seasons.

Dare I call him the Koufax of RB's?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too Bad...No Topps Cards After 79... :(

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fun to watch.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Campbell absolutely belongs on the GOAT nominees list. Nobody, not Walter Payton, not Barry Sanders, not anybody, could have survived the beatings Campbell took for any longer than Campbell was able to survive them. The Oilers had one weapon and they used it over and over and over again. Put him on Dallas in the 1990's and I think everyone would quickly see that he was on an entirely different, and higher, level of greatness than Emmitt Smith. And he wouldn't be suffering from the effects of traumatic brain injuries as he sadly is today.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember his runs. A diesel. Remember coach Bum Phillips on the sidelines with his cowboy hat and boots?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    I remember his runs. A diesel. Remember coach Bum Phillips on the sidelines with his cowboy hat and boots?

Yep