Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Stacks reports theft of 1928 $100 gold note

INVESTIGATING AGENCY: Boston PD

TYPE OF INCIDENT: Theft

INCIDENT LOCATION: Boston, MA

DATE OCCURRED: 10/11/23

A shoplifting/theft occurred at Stack’s Bowers Galleries in Boston. A 1928 $100 Gold Certificate with a serial number of A0091479A certified by PCGS AU 50 was stolen. The incident occurred on October 11, 2023, at 2:56 PM EST. The note and person of interest in this case are pictured below.

Anyone with information contact:

Doug Davis

817-723-7231

Doug@numismaticcrimes.org

Comments

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

hope bubba takes a good liking to him :(

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope they got good pics of that photo ID!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,131 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd think the national FBI photo database would be able to find a match.

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Easily a $3,000 + or more note. Hope they find him.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it possible to microchip holders of coins/currency so when customers pass through a scanner on their way out, an alarm sounds if the chip is not deactivated? Something along the lines of those types used in department,electronic stores.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great picture to ID from - shouldn't take the authorities too long to get their man.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2023 10:37AM

The guy will sell it for cash to an unsuspecting buyer that thinks the seller doesn't know what its value is. Added to the fact that AU notes generally have a bit of flexibility on pricing, the buyers will jump.
    This hobby is focused on price sensitive shoppers that would snap this up at a show in no time if priced correctly.

• Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2023 10:39AM

@sellitstore said:
    Why target something with a serial number that cannot be removed? Sooner or later that note is going to turn up somewhere.

Exactly.....or why target a store that is GUARANTEED to have cameras?
    Super desperation comes to mind.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 20, 2023 1:06AM

I know of a person who was caught shoplifting valuable currency at a coin show in 2005 or 2006 (I forget the exact year). I never met the person or corresponded with them. But the articles covering him gave me the impression that he was stealing the items for the "thrill" of it and for his own collection, and not to sell.

This person (Douglas W. Stener) was a high school art teacher and was on the committee selecting the Wisconsin state quarter design. I know of him because he unfairly banned certain submissions (including mine) in the Wisconsin state quarter design contest.

PS:
    I do not know what Mr. Stener looked like. Maybe that's him ? !

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,131 ✭✭✭✭✭

The thief potentially does a lot more damage to themselves than to those they steal from; law enforcement coming for you, having to constantly look over your shoulder both literally and figuratively. Then the arrest, the many court hearings, substantial expenses and potential prison time and the economic consequences of all that. Devastating.

• Options
    jeffas1974jeffas1974 Posts: 326 ✭✭✭

@sellitstore said:
    Why target something with a serial number that cannot be removed? Sooner or later that note is going to turn up somewhere.

Maybe he was planning to scratch off the serial number like you would a stolen bike? ;)

• Options
    vonlettowvonlettow Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited October 23, 2023 11:45AM

@dcarr said:
    I know of a person who was caught shoplifting valuable currency at a coin show in 2005 or 2006 (I forget the exact year). I never met the person or corresponded with them. But the articles covering him gave me the impression that he was stealing the items for the "thrill" of it and for his own collection, and not to sell.

This person (Douglas W. Stener) was a high school art teacher and was on the committee selecting the Wisconsin state quarter design. I know of him because he unfairly banned certain submissions (including mine) in the Wisconsin state quarter design contest.

PS:
    I do not know what Mr. Stener looked like. Maybe that's him ? !

His greater crime was the Wisconsin state quarter design.

He was not very clever about his thefts. He would drop them into his lap at shows.

They were not for his collection. He was caught when stolen notes began appearing for sale on Ebay from third parties who identified him as the source.

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vonlettow said:
    His greater crime was the Wisconsin state quarter design.

A reminder of the design of the Wisconsin state quarter

• Options
    Ted 1Ted 1 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Is it possible to microchip holders of coins/currency so when customers pass through a scanner on their way out, an alarm sounds if the chip is not deactivated? Something along the lines of those types used in department,electronic stores.

Actually not a bad idea. I would add that owners of notes, in general, can add the chip with gps monitoring. I would want to know,

Rare Nationals &
    Lowball Sacagawea Dollars (PO01-VF35)

--- SUCCESSFUL BST TRANSACTIONS ---
    braddick, Omegaraptor, JWP, EagleScout2017, OAKSTAR, Twobitcollector, boxerdad, OKCC, Fancycashcom, JimW, MWallace, Tookybandit, TeacherCollector, jeffas1974, mainejoe, kansasman, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Soldi, Histman, CurrenSee, jclovescoins, Outhaul, Timbuk3, LEMONHEAD_PENNY, daverickey, Maxcrusha, RedSeals
  • Options
    GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭✭

How does a guy like that -- looks like a dealer with the badge in front -- pull this off ?

Isn't the dealer or his/her asst. looking closely at the guy who they gave a $3,000 note to ? I presume there aren't 10 people up at their table/display....maybe 1 or 2 or 3, right ?

You would think with 2 or 3 items out of the case it would be easy to keep track of but then again I am not a dealer so feel free to correct me. I get if you had 8-10 people at one time and they were constantly asking "Can I see this ?" etc...etc.

I presume from the photo the guy was there alone. Or maybe with 1 other person nearby.