Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Ebay Authenticity fail

Just found this. Fake graded Aaron gets thru the Ebay Authenticity inspection....ouch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix0Z4Wbo_XE

Comments

• This is mainly a CGC / CSG fail. They authenticated, graded, and encapsulated the card.

Ebay Authentication for graded cards is ONLY checking to make sure that a grading company's holder is authentic and untampered with. Ebay Authentication for graded cards is not verifying that the card within is what the grading company said it was or was accurately graded.

These situations really make you wonder who is actually "grading" your cards at any of the companies - because none of us really know...

• RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! And double Wow for CGC!!
    CGC graded a card series that wouldn't even fit in their holder? LOL
    Clearly they aren't measuring cards. How do you miss by 1/2 inch? LOL
    CGC is a card trimmers dream.

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

How do we know for sure the case wasn't tampered?

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2023 10:00PM

I will only buy PSA or SGC graded cards, not from these upstart grading companies. And...I have always measured an encapsulated card using a 1/100 inch scale to make sure that a card is the correct size. It gives me peace of mind.

mint_only_pls
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 11,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

yikes. not an ebay issue. this one falls 100% on CSG. terrible. clearly not using experts to authenticate sports cards.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AANV said:
    Any vintage card not graded by either PSA or SGC is a big red flag to begin with, as far as I'm concerned.

PSA has graded fakes as well. Its not just CSG.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• 82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2023 8:35AM

Not like a trimmed T-206 Wagner could ever get through PSA.

Then their is the plethora of PWCC sourced trimmed cards in PSA slabs.

But yes what actual service is CSG providing? My guess is they simply open, repackage and ship. That guess is based on them realizing they could not make money on the eBay deal any other way.

It's the singer not the song - Peter Townshend (1972)

• AANVAANV Posts: 338 ✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:

@AANV said:
    Any vintage card not graded by either PSA or SGC is a big red flag to begin with, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm well aware of PSA shortcomings.

But as a seller of vintage cards, it would never cross my mind to think 'I'll give CGC a try to grade my card that would be worth substantially more if graded by PSA.'

• RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AANV said:

@coolstanley said:

@AANV said:

I'm well aware of PSA shortcomings.

But as a seller of vintage cards, it would never cross my mind to think 'I'll give CGC a try to grade my card that would be worth substantially more if graded by PSA.'

You would if you were a scammer.

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cardinal rule of business. If ya can't do the job, then don't take the job. It's a lot easier to get new customers than it is to mend fences with dissatisfied customers.

This grading company obviously had no clue as to what they were doing with this card. Rather than encapsulate it with a guess, they should have just returned the card to the customer stating something such as they do not grade these cards at this time.