Home Sports Talk
Options

worst start in postseason history?

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kershaw gave up 6 runs last night and only recorded 1 out. era of 162.00

is that the worst start ever in the postseason?

I thought he had redeemed himself during their world series run. I guess not. worst postseason era for a pitcher with over 100 IP

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

rut roh...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭

Might be.

Getting harder to defend Kershaw.

He is going to need to come back in this series and get it together fast. They have no depth at SP right now. Would make sense to bring him back on short days rest to start since he only threw 35 pitches.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is, according to ESPN:

Kershaw is the first-ever playoff pitcher in major league history to allow five hits and five runs before recording an out.

Kershaw failed to finish the first inning for the first time in 454 career starts.

Kershaw is the fourth pitcher to allow six-plus runs while recording one out or fewer in postseason history.

Kershaw's postseason ERA increased from 4.22 to 4.49 in 194⅓ innings. It's two runs higher than his regular-season ERA of 2.48 and stands as the highest among the 31 pitchers throughout major league history with more than 100 innings in the playoffs.

Steve

• Options

It has to be a mental thing. Right? I mean, he is lights out during the regular season, then has the all time worst era in the post season.

Is it a version of the yips? extreme performance anxiety?

This has to effect his position in the all time rankings for pitcher. it is just a matter of how much.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    It has to be a mental thing. Right? I mean, he is lights out during the regular season, then has the all time worst era in the post season.

This has to effect his position in the all time rankings for pitcher. it is just a matter of how much.

Probably unanswerable. He has a dozen post season starts where he ranged from really good to lights out. It would be tough to say he has mental issue that goes away half the time, especially in a sport like baseball where ups and down is the nature of the game.

Also, his K/BB ratio in the post season has remained pretty consistent with his regular season numbers.

• Options

In his career Kershaw had three disaster starts in the post season where he pitched horribly on 7 days rest, 8 days, and 8 days.

Without those three unusually long rest days and disaster starts his post season ERA would be 3.48 over 176 IP. Would that qualify has having the yips or a mental case with those numbers?

Not as good as his regular season, but darn effective, especially considering his elite 1.007 WHIP in the post season and elite 4.26 K/BB ratio(which includes all of his starts including those disasters)

Yesterday was another one of those starts on seven days rest. Long rest time and pitched poorly.

I would expect his next start in this series is going to be more normal.

• Options

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:

@craig44 said:

Probably unanswerable. He has a dozen post season starts where he ranged from really good to lights out. It would be tough to say he has mental issue that goes away half the time, especially in a sport like baseball where ups and down is the nature of the game.

Also, his K/BB ratio in the post season has remained pretty consistent with his regular season numbers.

it really is perplexing. he has about as big of a postseason sample size as anyone ever. He may even have the most postseason IP ever. i would have to check. anyways, at around 200. If there is one thing i can say definitively, it is that Kershaw is way too inconsistent to be relyed on in the postseason.

• Options

In his career Kershaw had three disaster starts in the post season where he pitched horribly on 7 days rest, 8 days, and 8 days.

Without those three unusually long rest days and disaster starts his post season ERA would be 3.48 over 176 IP. Would that qualify has having the yips or a mental case with those numbers?

Not as good as his regular season, but darn effective, especially considering his elite 1.007 WHIP in the post season and elite 4.26 K/BB ratio(which includes all of his starts including those disasters)

Yesterday was another one of those starts on seven days rest. Long rest time and pitched poorly.

the issue is that we cannot erase those disaster starts. they happened. That is the problem with clayton. you never know when the next disaster start will happen.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@craig44 said:

it really is perplexing. he has about as big of a postseason sample size as anyone ever. He may even have the most postseason IP ever. i would have to check. anyways, at around 200. If there is one thing i can say definitively, it is that Kershaw is way too inconsistent to be relyed on in the postseason.

I posted at the same time as you did(with the postseason disaster starts) I hope 4for4 is reading,, lol.

• Options

i do hope he can settle in for his next start. i definitely like him as a person and he has been a great regular season pitcher.

• Options

@craig44 said:

the issue is that we cannot erase those disaster starts. they happened. That is the problem with clayton. you never know when the next disaster start will happen.

No, you cannot erase them, but they are different with the extra long days rest, which isn't always good for a pitcher. Yesterday being another example.

If I were still betting I would be inclined to either bet on his individual under on his next start, Dodger run allowed under, or Dodger win. He has typically rebounded from those long rested disaster starts.

Without them, he has 176 innings with a 3.48 ERA and that is also a big body of post season work to say he doens't have a mental issue or the yips. How could a guy with the yips have that many innings in the post season with that rate of success?

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

The over in runs was covered early.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

While his ERA wasn't quite as high because he made it through two innings relatively unscathed, the third inning of the 2000 NLDS is when Rick Ankiel forgot how to pitch. I, and I imagine many others, will remember that bad start long after Kershaw's game is forgotten.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.