Home U.S. Coin Forum

What is your Definition of a Tire Kicker?

2»

Comments

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skier07 said:
    I asked a prominent dealer if I could look at one of his coins. The grade of the coin was obstructed in his display case. I looked at the coin for a few seconds, gave it back to him, and thanked him. He then said, “what’s the matter, my coin isn’t good enough for you”. I just walked away rather than engage him in conversation. I was looking for that particular date in a higher grade.

Well there went his prominence.

HE>I

• giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 7, 2023 7:07AM

@DeplorableDan said:
    Then maybe the dealer should just put price stickers on the front of the slab? 🤷‍♂️

Ah, well, here we go, this is the eternal dialectic for coin dealers. My choice for most of the more-expensive coins is to have the price on the back. That way the prospect asks to see it (or not) but looks at the coin first, not the price. And it starts a discussion, hopefully. Other dealers do it differently. There is also a security issue in that if potential bad guys see a case full of many thousands of dollars' worth of coins, they might get ideas. The true numismatists hunting for coins, not prices, already have a pretty good idea of how much value can be in one case.

Your mileage may vary. Kind regards, George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NeophyteNumismatist said:

The fact is that not all customers are created equally. There are people who stop by, quickly make selections and move on. We love them. There are those that "kick a couple tires" and move on. We neither love nor hate them. There are people who need a lot of attention and hand holding and then ultimately buy something. We like them okay. And there are people who want a lot of attention but are just kicking tires. We don't really like, need or want them. It's not that they are bad people or anything, but they can chew up a lot of time and attention and don't result in a sale.

>

I understand what you are saying. I am just built fundamentally differently. I operate under the assumption that I never know when the person will buy, buy more, or go elsewhere. Never once do I assume that the customer will never buy (they buy from me, or from someone else, but they buy). Sometimes I cannot meet my customer's needs, because my solution to their problem does not fully align, and we can eat up a lot of time trying to find that solution. And, once I have the customer, I work even harder to provide the best service post sale (something no coin dealer does). It is important to note that I am not in sales, but in my business - everyone is in sales... and after the sale, everyone is in service. Those that do not like that mentality cannot be in my business. I need people who legitimately care. THAT is the difference between what I am taking about, and what you are talking about.

I think we're pretty much in agreement. That's why I say Cougar is being too broad. But there are people you know aren't with the time. But not from one exposure.

For example, there's a local guy who likes to go into the LCS and look through bulk stuff. He chats constantly, looks through everything and usually spends $5 or less. I've never seen him spend more than $20. The owner is polite but he knows the guy isn't worth the trouble. He keeps him busy for an hour or two and spends nothing.

• NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

For example, there's a local guy who likes to go into the LCS and look through bulk stuff. He chats constantly, looks through everything and usually spends $5 or less. I've never seen him spend more than $20. The owner is polite but he knows the guy isn't worth the trouble. He keeps him busy for an hour or two and spends nothing.

Yes. Every business has that customer (and many of them). However, when someone should ask that customer "What coin shop do you recommend?" He will definitely talk about the coin shop where he spends his time, and feels welcomed. This is the backbone of the Net Promoter Score (NPS).

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    Many who setup at shows define one as somebody who asks a price on an item, the seller quotes a price and then the potential customer walks away without purchasing or making an offer (counter offer).

I ask for a price on a coin i want. If the dealer gives me a price i thinj is too high i say thanks and walk away. Im not kicking tires. I feel that if they want X dollars and its too much then its their loss. Give me your best price when i ask. I dont want to haggle.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

Yes. Every business has that customer (and many of them). However, when someone should ask that customer "What coin shop do you recommend?" He will definitely talk about the coin shop where he spends his time, and feels welcomed. This is the backbone of the Net Promoter Score (NPS).

Totally agree

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always thought it meant someone who doesn’t just leave right away, rather it’s someone who stays too long asking questions and asking for prices with no intention to buy and prevents the dealer from servicing other potential buyers who seriously want to purchase. Not just coin dealers, any type of dealer or salesperson.

Mr_Spud

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 10, 2023 6:51AM

My take is if people in the bourse room aren’t asking prices it’s likely indication the people coming in the bourse room don’t have any money. Usually I will have prices on sale items. Beyond that no. There is no right answer on whether put price stickers on front or not lol / its my team, my offense. I make the play calls. I do have a price sticker with the cost and MV code on the back. So any price quotes quick and decisive. What I may sell an item for can vary based on market outlook / cash flow. Putting price stickers on slab front - other dealers will undercut you, Everybody is different like a college football offense coordinator philosophy / formation. High profit margin items (keystone markup) like currency and raw collector coins are priced (my price on front) with ample room for negotiation.

Beyond that if tirekickers / some know it all clod BS guy it’s time for them to leave.

Coins & Currency
  • yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 10, 2023 5:54AM

My take is if people in the bourse room aren’t asking prices it’s likely indication the people coming in the bourse room don’t have any money.

This might be true for some attendees,
    but what about the people that look at the coins and do not need them for their collection?

At a show Friday, I had money but spent none, as I did not find any coins I needed for my collection.
    Admittedly my focus is very narrow.

I agree with most of the rest of your post.

edited October 10, 2023 7:45AM

@yosclimber said:

My take is if people in the bourse room aren’t asking prices it’s likely indication the people coming in the bourse room don’t have any money.

This might be true for some attendees,
    but what about the people that look at the coins and do not need them for their collection?

At a show Friday, I had money but spent none, as I did not find any coins I needed for my collection.
    Admittedly my focus is very narrow.

I agree with most of the rest of your post.

Exactly. There are people coming in the bourse room looking for one specific thing or area. Even if I had everything under the sun I still might not have what they are looking for. One guy asked do you have a 1934-S Peace dollar slabbed AU? Another wanted to know if I had any New Mexico NBN. A commem customer asked did I have any CACG Commems. My diagnostic above people coming in bourse room just one aspect based on experience in the business and my mentor years ago when first setup. A really top flight guy. The other thing your likely to have 50 plus other dealers there. Maybe some spent their money with some guy close to the entry door.

Coins & Currency
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

We call them Whistlin' Gophers in my business of woodworking machinery.

Customer comes up to me at a trade show and asks, "How much does that machine go fer?"

I respond $35,000.

He responds with a whistle.

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

A tire kicker is when you buy vault box, and you didn't get your money's worth. :D

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

@privatecoin said:
    A tire kicker is when you buy vault box, and you didn't get your money's worth. :D

Or someone who makes a million threads about them but never buys one... B)

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • FrazFraz Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

On the lot, after he kicks the tires for a while, and after you reach an agreement, he says that he has to talk to his wife.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

A noticable difference. Interesting that many coin dealers do not put the price on the front of the holder. On the sports card side at shows many customers will not even stop at a table where the cards are not marked with a price. So most dealers have the prices on the card.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Totally agree> @telephoto1 said:

@privatecoin said:

He bought some and even opened them...

• mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    Many who setup at shows define one as somebody who asks a price on an item, the seller quotes a price and then the potential customer walks away without purchasing or making an offer (counter offer).

I do believe putting the price out front will eliminate your frustration with so called "tire kickers". I see many of the same coins week in and week out at the local shows. Usually over priced at full retail plus. The Internet allows me to purchase most any coin at full retail on any given day. Everyone is offering coins using Greysheet pricing so if your price is the same as everyone else, expect to pack up most if not all your stock and drag it home with you for the next week's setup. Obviously the abundance of online sellers has changed things.

If the coin is marked and nowhere near an offer I'm comfortable with, I would not waste your or my time for a closer inspection. If there is no price marked, expect a bunch of tire kickers to ask you to take a look and give them your price.

There is a difference between a "customer walks away without purchasing" and someone who has zero intention of buying due to price(if marked), quality of coin or lack of funds at the time they are looking... ie a tire kicker. Part of the business.

Mark

• telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

Totally agree> @telephoto1 said:

@privatecoin said:

He bought some and even opened them...

Yeah, finally, after taking enough crapola about not buying any.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Fraz said:
    On the lot, after he kicks the tires for a while, and after you reach an agreement, he says that he has to talk to his wife.

Classic appeal to a higher authority. That’s why the good salesperson always tries to figure out who has decision authority upfront! Salesperson’s version of this is, “I need to check with my manager.” What a game!

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

I knew a couple of coin dealers who set up at shows and I would sometimes sit behind their table to help out. When the dealer quoted a prospective buyer a good price on a coin and the prospective buyer says "I'll have to think about it", the dealer would respond with "The price is good until you leave my table." After the collector left his table, we would sometimes hide the coin. When the collector came back to buy the coin and saw the coin was gone, he would usually get flustered and we struggled to keep from bursting out laughing. :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

edited October 12, 2023 11:06AM

Putting a price on front of slab - Other dealers can undercut. Plus if they not asking prices an indication people coming in bourse room broke. In other instances market conditions may influence asking price. We run an option offense - I want my QB to have a choice on the playcall.

Buyers who are for real, have money / are interested will ask the price. They may make a counter offer which I may take if close or I may make a counter offer at that point then if they don’t take it (not a deal for me) well goodbye and good luck to them.

Sort of like a QB on the RUN / Pass Option playbook which is the offense formation / playbook the coach has decided to go with.

Coins & Currency
  • CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    Putting a price on front of slab - Other dealers can undercut. Plus if they not asking prices an indication people coming in bourse room broke. In other instances market conditions may influence asking price. We run an option offense - I want my QB to have a choice on the playcall.

Buyers who are for real / interested will ask the price. They may make a counter offer which I may take if close or I may make a counter offer at that point then if they don’t take it - well goodbye and good luck to them.

Sort of like a QB on the RUN / Pass Option playbook which is the offense formation / playbook the coach has decided to go with.

Or the potential buyer/player thinks the dealer/team treats them like cattle and decides to spend/sign with someone else.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2023 11:09AM

@Catbert said:

@Cougar1978 said:

Buyers who are for real / interested will ask the price. They may make a counter offer which I may take if close or I may make a counter offer at that point then if they don’t take it - well goodbye and good luck to them.

Or the potential buyer/player thinks the dealer/team treats them like cattle and decides to spend/sign with someone else.

And/or they don’t see any coins that interest them. But I think it’s really smart to just take it as an indication that people are broke, tire-kickers. 😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Stingray63Stingray63 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭

I've done that. There have been times where I felt the vendor/dealer's price was just too ridiculously high to bother countering. Especially when the dealer quotes the price and says that's as low as they can go. I don't lowball anybody and I'm fair. If it a great price and I like/want the coin I'll buy. Otherwise I browse all the tables and work my way back to what I like.

Pocket Change Inspector

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2023 8:35PM

@Cougar1978 said:
    What is your Definition of a Tire Kicker?

Meaning of tire kicker in English:

Someone who appears to be interested in buying something and asks a lot of questions but does not buy anything: If you want to sell it on the internet, you'll have to deal with hundreds of tire kickers.

I got this off something called the internet. :D

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• JonBrand83JonBrand83 Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree ^^^ Lots of questions, lingering, time, no purchase.

Jbknifeandcoin.com
    IG: jb_rarities

@MFeld said:

@Catbert said:

@Cougar1978 said:

And/or they don’t see any coins that interest them. But I think it’s really smart to just take it as an indication that people are broke, tire-kickers. 😉

In my experience, the best place to find broke people is at a coin show.

@jayPem said:
    This is such a weird thread..

Are you suggesting that I'm obligated to make some sort of purchase from the guys who have nothing but exceedingly dull material?
    Or else I run the risk of being labeled a tire kicker or window shopper?

There's nothing there I want!
    I don't care what the prices are!

Just the one guy. Most dealers do not expect every visitor to make a purchase.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@jayPem said:

Are you suggesting that I'm obligated to make some sort of purchase from the guys who have nothing but exceedingly dull material?

That sounds like something a tire kicker would say. ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

@PerryHall said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jayPem said:

That sounds like something a tire kicker would say. ;)

Lol. Or most dealers.

If everyone who ever walked by my table had made a purchase, I'd be retired on a Caribbean island.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file