Dick Butkus 1942-2023

GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 616 ✭✭✭✭

Very sad news. R.I.P

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

He was a bear. Condolences to his family and fans.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 5, 2023 4:26PM

Very sad... not even sure what to say or write. What a legend in College... the NFL and in Life. My condolences to his family and friends. ILL INI

RIP

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP. Dick Butkus is one of my idols in the sport of football, you want to talk about intimidation, he was the definition of intimidation. You did not want to look up and see Dick Butkus standing across from you, the offensive players could just sense his presence on the field, he was that menacing. Once the ball was snapped, you knew the monster was coming for you, full force. This Sports Illustrated cover pretty much says it all, the most feared man in the game.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always liked him in the Miller Light commercials.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

You want to see what Butkus was like, here's a little video, he was one vicious son of a gun, seek and destroy is what he was all about.

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

They call it the Butkus Award for a reason.

RIP

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome Pics there 2ble Drag...
    that #55 dude there is Doug Buffone...

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

man dont i hate to see the old guard leave us.

rest easy Dick

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad that him and Sayers never sniffed a playoff game let alone a winning season

Ansolute Legend on the gridiron

Sad news

• 4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Greatest player ever. Good actor too. No words to describe how awesome he was.

Forum members on ignore
    Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
    daltex

@GroceryRackPack said:

Awesome Pics there 2ble Drag...
    that #55 dude there is Doug Buffone...

Yes, Doug Buffone was tough as nails, a hardcore Chicago Bear, wreaked havoc with Butkus for years. I also want to say that it's very fitting that the Chicago Bears went out there last night and whooped the Commanders.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

As we age our heroes leave us wondering where did all my childhood memories go?

You were a beast.
    Now Rest in peace.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

I am glad the bears were able to beat Washington last night. Dick would have loved it

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I am glad the bears were able to beat Washington last night. Dick would have loved it

Interesting isn't it - Karma with the passing of Butkus.

Ah, probably just a coincidence. 🤔

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just recently watched Dick and Larry Csonka guest star in a 1975 episode of the Six Million Dollar man. Fantastic episode. RIP

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP.

My brother always told the story that he would hock a loogie on the ball before the center snapped it.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.

From the Chicago Sun-Times...

I think it is pretty remarkable that he played high school, College and Pro's all in Illinois. I bet that doesnt happen all that often.

trying to keep emotion out of it, is Butkus considered the greatest middle linebacker of all time?

thinking of others: Lewis, Singletary etc.

@doubledragon said:
    You want to see what Butkus was like, here's a little video, he was one vicious son of a gun, seek and destroy is what he was all about.

Awesome video footage...

• streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 7, 2023 1:46PM

A story that Craig Morton tells.
    In the early 60's, Cal played Illinois. One Illinois player had Morton by one leg and Butkus had the other leg. He looked up at Morton and said, " make a wish".

In high school he used to come out onto the field restrained by ropes being controlled by two wild animal handlers.

https://youtu.be/nluXKFKxBuo CHICAGO MEMORIES

Have a nice day

that was a great video on Butkus. the man was a menace

@streeter said:
    A story that Craig Morton tells.
    In the early 60's, Cal played Illinois. One Illinois player had Morton by one leg and Butkus had the other leg. He looked up at Morton and said, " make a wish".

In high school he used to come out onto the field restrained by ropes being controlled by two wild animal handlers.

https://youtu.be/nluXKFKxBuo CHICAGO MEMORIES

Awesome video footage...

I asked over on the trading card forum but i am not sure how much overlap there is between the 2 forums so i will ask here as well. who do you think was the greater player, Butkus or lawrence taylor?

If you need a middle linebacker…my #1 pick would be Dick Butkus…and some forum members here just might know who my #2 pick is for middle linebacker... B)

Lawrence Taylor; that would be my #1 pick for right outside linebacker….um then I’d pick Ted Hendricks over on the left side…

:)