Home Sports Talk
Options

peeps in the know, especially those who live in Florida, school me on this one

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭✭✭

so, the MLB franchise in Tampa just went through a rigorous 162-game schedule, won 99 of those, then proceeded to score 1 run in 2 playoff games and are now scheduling tee times. that's gotta hurt. but what's gotta hurt even more is that no one gives a crap about that team. i read where the attendance for the two playoff games was the lowest since 1919.

i've heard the stadium leaves a lot to be desired, but is there more? and aren't they building a new house? why is there so much apathy surrounding the Rays?

Comments

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember earlier this year and last year there was talk of them moving to Canada. I may be wrong.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭✭

Bad stadium, bad location. The Lightning have no problem getting fans. Doesnt make a ton of sense to have the new stadium close to there either. Doesnt help that Tampa is only good in spurts then trades everyone away. I'm happy they lost, that was a bad look seeing a half full stadium for playoff games, even the announcers commented on it

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    I remember earlier this year and last year there was talk of them moving to Canada. I may be wrong.

That was a couple years ago with talks of them playing half their home games in Tampa and half in Canada. The players shut that down pretty fast

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could be way off base with this, but I know that Tampa is notorious for insect problems. Little insects and big insects.

Perhaps it is not a very pleasant experience to sit there at a ball park, and get inundated by bugs.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

That was a couple years ago with talks of them playing half their home games in Tampa and half in Canada. The players shut that down pretty fast

Well at least I got the Canada part right.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@Basebal21 said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

Well at least I got the Canada part right.

It hung around for a while with the team proposing it for a couple years with half the year in Tampa and half in Montreal. Once it got serious last year it was quickly a no go with the players being against it from the start. It might have been a tactic to get a new stadium but the team probably was serious about it. It was one of the wildest proposals we have seen in major sports

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 5, 2023 4:57AM

I'm not in the know but I'm assuming there are so many out of state transplants in Tampa they just don't adopt the team?

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am really surprised that they are spending the money on a new stadium when there has traditionally not been a loyal fanbase. I am sure they will see a bump in attendance the first season, when it is brand new, then I expect it to dip back down again.

we shall see.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    I'm not in the know but I'm assuming there are so many out of state transplants in Tampa they just don't adopt the team?

If that were the case the Lightning and the Bucs should be having the same issues but they arent. If you live in Tampa what would you rather do, be outside or spend an hour in traffic going to whats basically the old Houston Astrodome to watch a team that is good sometimes and the owner wont spend money

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

florida is the armpit of america , tampa is the hair in that pit