Home U.S. Coin Forum

Age Of The Ridiculously Large Mint Mark

Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

The San Francisco liberty seated no motto quarters from 1855-1865 (none were issued in 1863) feature a mink mark disproportionately large compared to the font size of the legend. The no motto half dollar mint mark is also large. The 1859-s dollar is more proportional. I'm not sure if anyone has studied it, but I wonder if the same "S" punch was used for all three denominations.

Here's my run of quarters. Despite it's reputation (and price), the 60-s isn't nearly as rare as the 64-s, which I consider the rarest no motto S mint quarter. I have since replaced the 65-s with a better coin which I'm still waiting on from a recent sub.

There's also an interesting large S over small S variety in 1856. I'm not sure what punch the small S was used for, probably the quarter eagle or gold dollar.

Comments

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rhedden Awesome!

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crusty coin I like 👍

@Crepidodera Nice original coins! The 64-s is exceptional!

• CrepidoderaCrepidodera Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Don. I agree with you about the 64-S quarter being the rarest of the group.

Doug

• OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could you imagine how much these coins would be worth if the San Francisco Mint closed permanently in 1906 after the earthquake?

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I have seen larger mintmarks on Mercury Dimes than on some $20 Gold. It's weird to see such differences.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks guys for posting those great runs of quarters!

None of mine have mint marks, since the branch mints didn’t exist yet.

Just got this N30 as an upgrade for the P12 above. It should cross to P20-25.

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    SF was obviously proud of their coins and the mint mark says so!

bob :)
    vegas baby!

Except weren't the mintmarks placed by the Philly die shop before the (unhardened) dies were sent out?

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:

@AUandAG said:
    SF was obviously proud of their coins and the mint mark says so!

vegas baby!

Except weren't the mintmarks placed by the Philly die shop before the (unhardened) dies were sent out?

lol, forgot that!

vegas, baby!

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love threads like this. I don’t collect these, so it’s a great learning experience. Thanks to all of you who posted!

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing got wasted back then

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    Just got this N30 as an upgrade for the P12 above. It should cross to P20-25.

Cracked and submitted raw. VF25. I'm pretty happy with this one. It's a tough coin to find nice.

• CrepidoderaCrepidodera Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice Don!

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

First, nice collection of quarters!

The mint marks were all applied in Philadelphia, where there was an ample supply of letter punches of various sizes for making medal dies. Could be there was no dedicated mint mark punch until you start seeing the smaller ones on all denominations in 1866. The smaller mint marks would have been much easier to punch into the dies than the larger ones given the far smaller surface area. Maybe it took 28 years to figure that out. Maybe the engraver doing medals was tired of someone stealing his S punch. CC coming online in 1870 would have presented a problem finding space to use a giant C punch twice. I'm sure somewhere there's a documented reason for ending use of the large punches.

edited April 1, 2024 8:15AM

@messydesk said:

The mint marks were all applied in Philadelphia, where there was an ample supply of letter punches of various sizes for making medal dies. Could be there was no dedicated mint mark punch until you start seeing the smaller ones on all denominations in 1866. The smaller mint marks would have been much easier to punch into the dies than the larger ones given the far smaller surface area. Maybe it took 28 years to figure that out. Maybe the engraver doing medals was tired of someone stealing his S punch. CC coming online in 1870 would have presented a problem finding space to use a giant C punch twice. I'm sure somewhere there's a documented reason for ending use of the large punches.

Thanks!

There's a 56-S/s large S over small s, so they had one available at least by 1856-s. It would be interesting to know why they decided to use the large punch.

• seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭

My guess for the large punch was to show pride of the fact they had a new mint. Just supposition though. James

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@messydesk said:

Thanks!

There's a 56-S/s large S over small s, so they had one available at least by 1856-s. It would be interesting to know why they decided to use the large punch.

Interesting. I imagine the reason behind the large punch was because someone decided it looked better.

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coins !
    I thought, for sure, this was going to be a war nickel thread......

I just won this XF40 upgrade. Anyone familiar with the 59-s knows it's a major condition rarity with no known uncirculated examples and anything XF or AU being extremely rare. It seems like a nice original coin. I hope it looks as good in hand.

• semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    The San Francisco liberty seated no motto quarters from 1855-1865 (none were issued in 1863) feature a mink mark disproportionately large compared to the font size of the legend. The no motto half dollar mint mark is also large. The 1859-s dollar is more proportional. I'm not sure if anyone has studied it, but I wonder if the same "S" punch was used for all three denominations.

Here's my run of quarters. Despite it's reputation (and price), the 60-s isn't nearly as rare as the 64-s, which I consider the rarest no motto S mint quarter. I have since replaced the 65-s with a better coin which I'm still waiting on from a recent sub.

There's also an interesting large S over small S variety in 1856. I'm not sure what punch the small S was used for, probably the quarter eagle or gold dollar.

So cool to see these all together, all original looking!

• RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some great Liberty Seated quarters in this thread; thanks for posting them!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, I thought I'd find some ridiculously large mint marks in this thread. And no one posted the largest of all?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file