Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1994 Mexico Onza Libertad Proof Set - Grade All or Some?

ELuisELuis Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have this set for quite a while now, it is still in the original package, the plastic box, the cartoon cover slide & the mint bag wallet.
And the only protection is being saved in the original package.

Want to send the coins for grading.

Send all 5? - Or just the 1 Oz, 1/2 Oz & 1/4 Oz. this because the 1/10 has a fingerprint - Or?

I have used the Express service PCGS for all my previous graded coins.

Thanks.

Comments

• 1oz are the highest demand silver Libertads. The fractionals are only sought after by a much smaller population hence they are illiquid.

Then again you have some toners which people are drooling over these days. But imho I think there is some kind of organized “cooking” of coins as ebay and other sites have been magically blowing up with toners all over the place. PCGS is lenient on grading toners on Mexican coins, but NGC will very likely grade them Details Artificial Toning.

• 1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 615 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first 3 are amazing! I would send them all.

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the money to be gained by slabbing worth the cost of slabbing? That is the question.

All glory is fleeting.
  • ELuisELuis Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    Is the money to be gained by slabbing worth the cost of slabbing? That is the question.

Indeed. I have this set for maybe 4+ years now, for the cost, I think that the crown size 1oz could be the only one to be sent, and leave the rest out and move them to be saved on capsules. Guess that will work.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would send them in using Modern Value service level and take the savings over Express service and submit the onza, 1/2 onza, and 1/4 onza, if not them all. No need to use Express here.

• RSPRSP Posts: 70 ✭✭

I am quite sure NGC will grade your 1/4 ounce as I have a one ounce that is toned almost identically (and was graded 68 years ago by NGC).

@RSP Thanks! - I had sent coins in the past to ngc, have been a while that I am not.

I guess you meant 6 or 8 years ago.

• RSPRSP Posts: 70 ✭✭

No, NGC MS 68, probably more than 10 years ago. Sorry for the confusion, my fault.

@RSP said:
    No, NGC MS 68, probably more than 10 years ago.

10-4

• tcollectstcollects Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

we can figure out who thumbed that 1/10 onza

@tcollects said:
    we can figure out who thumbed that 1/10 onza

Yes!.

I have watch how proof coins are made on the casa de moneda in Mexico, and there is a step when they clean the coins with some type of white soap, and the guy there use his bare hands and swipe the coins with his fingers, So maybe was done in that phase or when the coin was removed from the original package slot to get the photos.

End up sending just the 1oz, 1/2oz & 1/4oz with other two coins the 1835 Real El Salvador (on this one i selected the KM18.9 but guess it is a different one, hope that they will catch up this) and 1872 CH M UN PESO on a express service. The other ones 1/10 & 1/20 will be sent on a non express service with some other modern coins I have, but can wait.