Home Sports Talk
Options

Carlos Rodón admits he turned his back on Yankees pitching coach during disaster start:

stevekstevek Posts: 27,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/carlos-rodon-admits-he-turned-his-back-on-yankees-pitching-coach-during-disaster-start-really-embarrassing-151934777.html

Carlos Rodón admits he turned his back on Yankees pitching coach during disaster start: 'Really embarrassing'

Carlos Rodón had a year to forget in his first season with the New York Yankees. After signing a six-year, $162 million deal with the team in the offseason, Rodón was limited by injuries and made just 13 starts.

He saved his worst appearance of the season for last. Rodón was shelled by the Kansas City Royals on Friday, giving up eight runs without recording an out. Rodón allowed his frustrations to get the best of him during the start, turning his back on Yankees pitching coach Matt Blake during a mound visit.

.....It was a disappointing end to a miserable first season with the Yankees. In 13 starts, Rodón posted a career-worst 5.74 ERA. He's under contract for five more seasons with New York.

Good grief.

$162 million dollars to throw batting practice during a game.

Comments

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2023 6:53AM

A real class act there. Isn't he the guy who gave the fans the one fingered salute coming out of a game earlier this season also?

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭✭

its early, but that sure is looking like a bad bad signing.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭✭

Rondon aside and the issues the Yankees have where pitchers get worse going there, I would much rather someone be upset about being taken out then saying thank god its over. If someone where to type out the the things the Scherzer has said being taken out theyd be on a watch list lol

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:
    Rondon aside and the issues the Yankees have where pitchers get worse going there, I would much rather someone be upset about being taken out then saying thank god its over. If someone where to type out the the things the Scherzer has said being taken out theyd be on a watch list lol

I hear ya. But I have to wonder if in certain cases, where players might do a bit of "overacting" on the field, and really couldn't care less.

I don't know anything about Rodon. But frankly, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if after the game, and he's sitting at home on the sofa with his wife, and she begins discussing the game, he says to her, Honey I couldn't care less about the Yankees, we've got $162 million dollars.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@Basebal21 said:

I hear ya. But I have to wonder if in certain cases, where players might do a bit of "overacting" on the field, and really couldn't care less.

I don't know anything about Rodon. But frankly, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if after the game, and he's sitting at home on the sofa with his wife, and she begins discussing the game, he says to her, Honey I couldn't care less about the Yankees, we've got $162 million dollars.

At this point of the season and their position there probably is some truth to the fact he probably just doesnt like the guy even with the competitive aspect of the moment. Rodon certainly had a frustrating season and really has only had 1.5 to two good years in his career which did make the signing suspect at best. That said even the biggest psychos on the mound let it go after. Randy Johnson used to not talk to his family all day before a start but by the next day was back to normal.