Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Are PSA Set Registry sets demanding a significant premium over the value of the individual cards?

In Heritage's 9/29/23 auction, there were 8 high grade 1970s Topps sets(only 1970 and 1972 were not included) for sale. The average VCP for the individual cards in all 8 sets totaled $700,000. The final sales price for all 8 registry sets totaled $1,227,000. That represents an average set premium for those 8 sets of 75%. Do you believe that level of set premium(75%) is warranted in todays baseball card market or were these bidders to aggressive?

Comments

• Options

It takes years to put a PSA set together. Those guys have the money not the time.

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

It took almost 8 years to put together a PSA 9 or better set from 1972. The high end sets, lots of PSA 9's and 10's will bring considerably more as the high grade "star and rookie cards" are desirable and have the greatest probability for appreciation.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree. Buying the set whole saves a ton of time. Especially nowadays that a lot of inventory is tied up in long term collections. I've spent years building my sets and am forever upgrading. My 1971 PSA 8+ set took about 7 or 8 high grade raw sets to build, plus purchasing a partially graded set plus submitting thousands of raw cards over the years. The one caveat is to be careful of sets built early on where the owner didn't care about centering or quality (i.e., buy the holder, not the card).

• Options
    RAPTORSRULE04RAPTORSRULE04 Posts: 194 ✭✭✭

Anyone sold a complete set with Lelands? Rates, service and price achieved good?

• Options

I am a Topps baseball PSA set collector from 1952 to 1978. I regular monitor PSA complete graded Topps baseball sets from 1952 to 1978 auction results from all the major auction houses. Historically, Heritage has had the best results.

• Options
    RAPTORSRULE04RAPTORSRULE04 Posts: 194 ✭✭✭

basketball? sets worth 50 to 100k.