Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

The US can be annoying at times…

Wanted to order a coin direct from the Austrian Mint, but couldn’t. Customer service said it was “ due to tax regulations and amendments in applicable US tax law, we are not in a position to offer and deliver our products directly to private customers in the United States.”. Same for dealers in the UK. So now I get to pay an inflated premium for what I wanted from a US reseller.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2

Comments

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, when I bought coins from sb or ha if the coins are source from China I have to pay about 10% tax for them.

• ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭

@3stars said:
    Wanted to order a coin direct from the Austrian Mint, but couldn’t. Customer service said it was “ due to tax regulations and amendments in applicable US tax law, we are not in a position to offer and deliver our products directly to private customers in the United States.”. Same for dealers in the UK. So now I get to pay an inflated premium for what I wanted from a US reseller.

What were you trying to buy? There are other avenues to purchase from other than US resellers.

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

The magic of gold series. Apmex has a few, but about $125 over direct from the mint prices.

• ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 784 ✭✭✭

What tax laws are the talking about? Doesn’t RCM still ship direct to US customers?

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 3, 2023 3:11PM

@Elmhurst said:
    What tax laws are the talking about? Doesn’t RCM still ship direct to US customers?

Not sure. Never had a problem with RCM or Royal mint, so not sure what Austria is seeing. Have had problems with smaller UK firms like Chards not willing or able to ship to the US..

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 3, 2023 4:18PM

The US can be annoying at times…

Literally every country in the world had that sentiment at one point or another...

• John ConduittJohn Conduitt Posts: 411 ✭✭✭

I think this has to do with sales tax collection. The US, EU and UK now all insist the vendor collects sales tax from the customer on certain value orders and pays it to the destination country's tax authorities. In the UK, this is anything under £135. Previously, the tax was always collected by the courier on arrival. In the UK, it still is collected by the courier for items over £135 since at that point customs duty may also be due.

Many dealers can't be bothered with the extra paperwork (they have to register with each tax authority, even if they only sell under £135) so refuse to sell to overseas customers. It's the same problem for Europeans trying to buy from the US, where each state has a different rule and tax rate.

Ironically, anyone selling through eBay (which means all the casual sellers) can just use eBay's global seller program to get the VAT collected by eBay. They can continue to sell everywhere (that isn't at war or embargoed) while larger companies don't. But of course, it costs more.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Elmhurst said:

RCM used to ship from Buffalo, NY. I haven't ordered from them in a while, so I don't know if that's still the case, but I bet it is since they have so many customers in the US.

• ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭

Tax and spend - that’s all they know

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just ordered from the BRM and had no issues.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21