Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

I’m so old I remember when US auctions..,

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 30, 2023 1:48AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

…got crowds like this!

The MISAB auction In Stockholm today. I just wonder how many of these guys will go home after the free lunch. 😆

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• RSPRSP Posts: 70 ✭✭

Those were the days. Sometimes amusing or funny things happened. RSP

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,232 ✭✭✭✭✭

The best part about attending auctions back then was that you could learn so much by watching people bid. In fact, I think I learned more at auctions than at coin shows.

Andy Lustig

• NapNap Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah, no wonder the online bidding software would freeze for a few seconds, then the bid would jump six increments. Must’ve been some action on the floor.

• bidaskbidask Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

" The MISAB auction In Stockholm today. "

Please tell us some highlights

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great post- alot to think about here... seriously... even if you think I am joking

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• tcollectstcollects Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    The best part about attending auctions back then was that you could learn so much by watching people bid. In fact, I think I learned more at auctions than at coin shows.

what kinds of things would you learn about watching people bid?

edited October 3, 2023 5:52AM

@tcollects said:

@MrEureka said:

Good question. If you don't know the people, you can't learn much by watching them bid. But if you do know the people, know how much you do or don't respect their knowledge and their eye, know what you think of their sense of value, know how aggressive they are (or aren't), know what you think of their purchases most of the time (because you've seen them bid so many times before), etc, you can gather a lot of information by when and if their hands go up in the auction room, and when they go down. Not just information about the coins, but about about who's likely to buy the coins you have to sell, and about market levels and trends. And, obviously, the more bidders you recognize and know, the more information you can gather.

Andy Lustig

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:

@tcollects said:

@MrEureka said:

Good question. If you don't know the people, you can't learn much by watching them bid. But if you do know the people, know how much you do or don't respect their knowledge and their eye, know what you think of their sense of value, know how aggressive they are (or aren't), know what you think of and their purchases most of the time (because you've seen them bid so many times before), etc, you can gather a lot of information by when and if their hands go up in the auction room, and when they go down. Not just information about the coins, but about about who's likely to buy the coins you have to sell, and about market levels and trends. And, obviously, the more bidders you recognize and know, the more information you can gather.

That's why more and more people bid on their phone/tablet/laptop, even while in the auction room.

@pruebas said:

@MrEureka said:

@tcollects said:

@MrEureka said:

Good question. If you don't know the people, you can't learn much by watching them bid. But if you do know the people, know how much you do or don't respect their knowledge and their eye, know what you think of their sense of value, know how aggressive they are (or aren't), know what you think of and their purchases most of the time (because you've seen them bid so many times before), etc, you can gather a lot of information by when and if their hands go up in the auction room, and when they go down. Not just information about the coins, but about about who's likely to buy the coins you have to sell, and about market levels and trends. And, obviously, the more bidders you recognize and know, the more information you can gather.

That's why more and more people bid on their phone/tablet/laptop, even while in the auction room.

True, although there are many situations where it can be advantageous to be seen bidding on a coin.

Andy Lustig