Understanding Definition and Value of "Error Cards"
Hello. I am new to this world of collecting sports cards. I have recently acquired a couple hundred thousand cards (NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB) and have been going through them and have found several "errors" which I have researched but have not found any matches as yet.
My question to the forum is two-fold if anyone has a few minutes to field: What defines and "error" card and how is value applied to the card. My inclination is to toss the card because it is an error, but I have found many error cards on the market with many being valuable.
A few examples:
- 1983 Topps Baseball card with the picture/name of one player on the front and a totally different player's stats and card # on the back.
- 1990 ProSet Hockey card missing the card # on the back.
- 1990 Score Hocket card with a different colored Score Logo on the front of the card where every other card of the same #/player is different. (Did this set have "parallel" cards?)
- 1982 Topps baseball card with the player's autograph missing on the front of the card when the entire set is supposed to have autos.
- Punctuation or mis-spellings on numerous cards.
- Thank you in advance to anyone who has insight to the above.