Home Sports Talk
Options

Anaheim Angel's article sums up why they are trash

Read for yourself...this was mindblowing to me. Maybe many of you were already aware of how frugal the club was ran but this seemed to be an entirely new level.

The article ends saying they don't care about winning but how to make another penny. If I had to guess, given the cost of the franchise and all the losing, it's more about trying not to lose millions. Will there be a move in their future?

https://theathletic.com/4911000/2023/09/29/angels-squander-mike-trout-shohei-ohtani/

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭✭

there have been lots of rumors about them trading Trout. I would imagine they would take a bath on that trade considering trouts contract, age, injury history and performance this season.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭✭

The dirty secret of professional sports is that most of them run to maximize profit. The Yankees even charge players for WiFi on team flights as probably the dumbest most egregious example. Other teams charge players for meals at the facility etc etc. A lot of these teams operate in a penny smart dollar stupid manner

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:
    The dirty secret of professional sports is that most of them run to maximize profit. The Yankees even charge players for WiFi on team flights as probably the dumbest most egregious example. Other teams charge players for meals at the facility etc etc. A lot of these teams operate in a penny smart dollar stupid manner

When they are paying these guys 5 figures a day I can see why they want to.gouge them whenever possible, not saying it's right but it is what it is

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

When they are paying these guys 5 figures a day I can see why they want to.gouge them whenever possible, not saying it's right but it is what it is

Somethings seriously wrong when big time college programs are providing better amenities than multibillion dollar pro franchises. The Yankees are one of the most valuable franchises in the world yet wont give Delta 50k a year for free wifi for players. Maybe theyd win some games if they treated the players better. Its like teams that pay a QB 40 45 mil a year but then have turf which has a higher injury rate to save a few 100 thousand on maintenance a year for grass. Theres a lot of short sighted penny pinching decisions happening in a lot of franchises

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

Somethings seriously wrong when big time college programs are providing better amenities than multibillion dollar pro franchises. The Yankees are one of the most valuable franchises in the world yet wont give Delta 50k a year for free wifi for players. Maybe theyd win some games if they treated the players better. Its like teams that pay a QB 40 45 mil a year but then have turf which has a higher injury rate to save a few 100 thousand on maintenance a year for grass. Theres a lot of short sighted penny pinching decisions happening in a lot of franchises

Penny wise and pound foolish, is the old saying.

Probably originated in England. 😄