Home Sports Talk
Options

Curt Schilling is a jackass

There’s lots and lots of reasons one could come to the conclusion that Curt is a jerk, but what he just did to Tim Wakefield and his wife is the absolute worst.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2023/09/28/tim-wakefield-wife-battling-cancer-red-sox-say/

Comments

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭✭

I wouldnt call someone a jerk for sharing that. It was only a matter of time before a reporter got hold of the news and appears to have done it in a supportive manner.

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2023 2:32AM

No, he’s a jerk and the Red Sox think so too

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they intended to keep it private then you respect their wishes, it's as simple as that. Just because a reporter might have leaked it isn't an excuse to completely disregard your friends wishes. I imagine the Wakefields feel hurt by this.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2023 7:06AM

Awful news, Schilling never should have said anything and it wasn't the right thing to do but his intentions were based on sending prayers from the way i read it.

It was stupid and not the right thing to do but there was no malicious intent

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭✭

oh boy, that is just terrible news. I watched Tims entire career with the Sox. I hope he and his wife can recover from this. Their poor kids.

As far as Schilling, It appears he did this with pure intentions. I disagree though. This type of information should be kept close to the vest until the person decides to release it.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2023 6:47AM

@GreenSneakers said:

The Red Sox have absolutely no business releasing this statement. They should stfu.
    They have, if anything, made MORE people aware of the Wakefields situation in a pathetic effort to cover their a$$. You can bet some lawyer warned them to limit any involvement with Schillings statement.

I don't know how Schilling found out about their horrible medical news, but for all I know, he may have even had permission to ask for prayers.

I am no big Schilling fan, but it seems he was acting out of love. Many people believe that power of prayer can bring about miracles. If I were one of their children, I would hope (and pray) for anything, no matter how remote, to save my parents.

Yet, in our new effed up society, you have all these people screaming about how horrible Schilling is, without knowing one single thing about it. They should just keep quiet and just MAYBE say a prayer for the Wakefields.

Sad, sad, situation with both parents diagnosed with very bad cancer. My mother was a cancer survivor. Could our prayers have helped her? I don't know. I will be praying for the entire Wakefield family.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    ApplejacksApplejacks Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2023 6:59AM

@JoeBanzai said:

@GreenSneakers said:

The Red Sox have absolutely no business releasing this statement. They should stfu.
    They have, if anything, made MORE people aware of the Wakefields situation in a pathetic effort to cover their a$$. You can bet some lawyer warned them to limit any involvement with Schillings statement.

I don't know how Schilling found out about their horrible medical news, but for all I know, he may have even had permission to ask for prayers.

I am no big Schilling fan, but it seems he was acting out of love. Many people believe that power of prayer can bring about miracles. If I were one of their children, I would hope (and pray) for anything, no matter how remote, to save my parents.

Yet, in our new effed up society, you have all these people screaming about how horrible Schilling is, without knowing one single thing about it. They should just keep quiet and just MAYBE say a prayer for the Wakefields.

Sad, sad, situation with both parents diagnosed with very bad cancer. My mother was a cancer survivor. Could our prayers have helped her? I don't know. I will be praying for the entire Wakefield family.

Hit the nail on the head.

A man asks for prayers for a former friend and teammate and he gets eaten alive.

What kind of a world do we live in.

Curt acted out of love and all it did was bring out the hate that’s in other peoples hearts. If you feel he made a mistake that’s fine. A mistake made out of love should not be criticized at all.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2023 7:07AM

I edited my post, by accident I posted there was malicious intent but I corrected it to "No malicious intent"

• Options
    edited September 29, 2023 7:29AM

@GreenSneakers said:
    Schilling thought his prayers - delivered on his own podcast - trumped whatever the Wakefields wanted. That is a fact he concedes himself. And it is disgustingly selfish.

There very well may be friends and family that the Wakefields wanted to tell personally. Schilling took that possibility away from them. Because he thought he knew best.

I can’t believe people don’t understand that. I really can’t believe any one would look at the situation and say those that call Schilling out on it are what’s “effed up in society”.

Tim has a very aggressive form of brain cancer.
    That sounds to me like he doesn’t have too much time left on planet earth. Doctors can’t do a thing for him.

Schilling loves the man and his heart is broken for him.

To see anything he did as selfish is beyond my understanding.

Also, I’m guessing all the people that Wakefield wanted to know about this already know. He has aggressive brain cancer. 25% last more then a year. He’s got 5 years at most.

• Options
    edited September 29, 2023 7:43AM

@GreenSneakers said:
    Schilling thought his prayers - delivered on his own podcast - trumped whatever the Wakefields wanted. That is a fact he concedes himself. And it is disgustingly selfish.

There very well may be friends and family that the Wakefields wanted to tell personally. Schilling took that possibility away from them. Because he thought he knew best.

I can’t believe people don’t understand that. I really can’t believe any one would look at the situation and say those that call Schilling out on it are what’s “effed up in society”.

I'm not looking for a big debate with you here at all.

How do you know what the Wakefields wanted? They haven't said anything publicly, the Red Sox sure have a lot to say though. Do we know if the Wakefields are approving of them speaking in their behalf?

Don't you think that "friends and family" would know before Schilling? Maybe Curt is a close friend.

Seems that you are assuming quite a bit.

I have no idea how Schilling found out about the Wakefield's medical conditions, but I can only assume it came from the Wakefields, or someone close to them. No one else could have known unless the Wakefield's medical team disclosed it.

Seems to me that you don't like Schilling, which is fine, he seems to be very opinionated and a lot of people don't.

I don't see how asking for prayers can be a selfish act, but I suppose it's possible.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@GreenSneakers said:

I'm not looking for a big debate with you here at all.

How do you know any of the things you just posted are facts?

How do you know what the Wakefields wanted?

Don't you think that "friends and family" would know before Schilling? Maybe Curt is a close friend.

Seems that you are assuming quite a bit.

For all we know Schilling could have gotten permission to ask for prayers. I have no idea how Schilling found out about the Wakefield's medical conditions, but I can only assume it came from the Wakefields, or someone close to them they told. No one else could have known unless the Wakefield's medical team disclosed it.

Seems to me that you don't like Schilling, which is fine, he seems to be very opinionated and a lot of people don't.

I don't see how asking for prayers can be a selfish act, but I suppose it's possible.

The bottom line is this.
    People would rather focus their energy on hating Schilling then focusing on praying for the Wakefields.

Instead of a thread about praying for Tim we got a thread promoting hate.

It’s that simple and deplorable.

My prayers have been sent.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭

When I was going through my cancer surgeries, people asked me if it was ok to tell other people or include me in their prayer groups because they weren't selfish AHs and respected my right to privacy.

Shilling is a jerk and deserves every bit of vitriol thrown his way.

"I’m guessing all the people that Wakefield wanted to know about this already know"
    Exactly the point, yet you use it completely incorrectly. It is Wakefield's right to have his health information kept private and to tell those who he thinks should know. Shilling has no right whatsoever to disseminate the information he had regardless of his "love and his heart being broken". When someone else is sick, you don't make it about you and that is what Shilling did which is selfish to the extreme.

"A mistake made out of love should not be criticized at all."
    What kind of lunacy is this? People do selfish, horrible things out of "love" all the time.

"Yet, in our new effed up society, you have all these people screaming about how horrible Schilling is, without knowing one single thing about it. They should just keep quiet and just MAYBE say a prayer for the Wakefields."
    He absolutely is horrible. The fact that you support his actions shows how "effed up" you are to be honest. The idea that Shilling's feelings trump the Wakefield's expressed wishes and that is ok with some segment of society, is what is actually wrong.

Last point, if you have never been in Wakefield's shoes then you should be the one to keep quiet. Having walked that path, I know I would have been extremely hurt if a "friend" decided they knew best and made a decision about informing people about my health challenges without my consent.

Robb

• Options

I do not understand why the Red Sox had to shine a giant million watt lightbulb on this situation. other than both are former players, I fail to see how this concerns the Sox at all.

I think that if Tim wanted the world to know about his diagnosis, he would have given a press release or something of the like. It was in no way Curts place to release this information. regardless his intentions. He easily could have called for an "unspoken prayer request" for a friend on his podcast instead of outing the Wakefields. God doesnt need their names, he already knows.

I have found that some people relish being the bearer of bad news. it seems Curt was this person yesterday

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2023 7:54AM

Didn't read the news story and don't intend to. Just briefly read a few posts here.

Just a hunch, I would guess that Schilling perhaps thought that the news was already out there publicly, and simply chimed in out of good will.

Geez, it's not like he's a rat or something, saw the guy say cheating at a party or whatever, and spilled the beans. Schilling just wished him good will, and he gets chastised for it?

If you're a Schilling hater, and there's a lot of them out there, then fine that's your prerogative. But it shouldn't include anything regarding this.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭

Has nothing to do with hating Schilling, I would say the same about anyone that did this without consent from the person that is ill.

Obviously, we are assuming Wakefield did not give Schilling consent, which is what the article said. I suppose the Red Sox could have gotten it wrong but seems unlikely.

There is no reason in the world Schilling had to say who the actual person was that needed prayers, none. If you believe in a higher power than said higher power would know who those prayers were directed at without actually naming the individual.

Robb

• Options

@fergie23 said:
    When I was going through my cancer surgeries, people asked me if it was ok to tell other people or include me in their prayer groups because they weren't selfish AHs and respected my right to privacy.

"I’m guessing all the people that Wakefield wanted to know about this already know"
    Exactly the point, yet you use it completely incorrectly. It is Wakefield's right to have his health information kept private and to tell those who he thinks should know. Shilling has no right whatsoever to disseminate the information he had regardless of his "love and his heart being broken". When someone else is sick, you don't make it about you and that is what Shilling did which is selfish to the extreme.

"A mistake made out of love should not be criticized at all."
    What kind of lunacy is this? People do selfish, horrible things out of "love" all the time.

"Yet, in our new effed up society, you have all these people screaming about how horrible Schilling is, without knowing one single thing about it. They should just keep quiet and just MAYBE say a prayer for the Wakefields."
    He absolutely is horrible. The fact that you support his actions shows how "effed up" you are to be honest. The idea that Shilling's feelings trump the Wakefield's expressed wishes and that is ok with some segment of society, is what is actually wrong.

Last point, if you have never been in Wakefield's shoes then you should be the one to keep quiet. Having walked that path, I know I would have been extremely hurt if a "friend" decided they knew best and made a decision about informing people about my health challenges without my consent.

Robb

Robb I am very glad you overcame cancer.

My late mother beat it as well. Hearing that she had a malignant tumor was horrifying, especially when her personal physician wouldn't bother to perform a biopsy. I took her to the hospital for her surgery and then to many radiation treatments, so I have an idea of what it's like, even if I didn't actually have cancer.

I don't see where the Wakefield family has said anything, and they don't have to.

As "effed up" as I am, I have said prayers for the Wakefields and their family and I am giving Schilling the benefit of the doubt. Maybe I'm wrong.

Schilling supposedly said he didn't have permission to disclose this, but I don't know if what he did was wrong or right.

Others here seem to know, so I'm going to move on from this post, a LOT of hate here.

• Options

Could be an example of the old saying that no good deed goes unpunished.

Unfortunately over the years, a number of times, I have found that old saying to sometimes be true.

• Options
    erbaerba Posts: 285 ✭✭✭✭

I think what Schilling did was wrong. He could have easily told the story, offered prayers and asked for prayers without naming names.

• Options

@fergie23 said:

Robb

First - Sorry about your cancer, but as someone who’s been ill for many years and debilitated at home I would never be angry with any friend I love who asked for prayers for my condition without my permission.

Only Tim Wakefield’s opinion about what Curt did should matter.

You and others here are spewing hate that quite possibly may not be what Tim is even thinking.

Again a thread about prayers for Tim would do better.

Why anyone feels a need to judge Curt when we have no idea how Tim feels about what he did is beyond me.

Like joebanzai said, I’m out of here with all this hate.

• Options

The article isn’t long, though some folks like to opine without reading it. So let’s get the facts straight.

1. In his initial comments, Schilling said: “ This is not a message that Tim has asked anyone to share, and I don’t even know if he wants it shared”
    2. Schilling said he talks to Wakefield “on and off … enough to stay in touch.”
    3. The Red Sox issued their press release with permission from the Wakefields.

It’s not hard to see who is in the wrong here.

• Options

I'm not going to judge Schilling either. Without question, his intention was love, not hate.

I think many good folks with his similar religious convictions, believe that in any dire situation, the more prayer the better. And the more folks praying for something, also the better.

So perhaps Schilling's religious views overrode everything else, and he wanted to get the word out and hopefully have millions praying instead of just a few. Sorry, but I can't berate a guy for that.

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

If Curt Schilling cured cancer, ended world hunger, and stopped bullying in schools he would still be hated. All because of political/religious views. The guy basically spoke out of turn; but seemed to have no ill intent at all in this situation. I actually think this is a non story and for sure the Red Sox should not have commented on this situation.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

If someone as loved and revered as say Yaz, if he had made this unapproved announcement, would he have been so widely chastised? Not that Yaz would of done it.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mickey71 said:
    If Curt Schilling cured cancer, ended world hunger, and stopped bullying in schools he would still be hated. All because of political/religious views. The guy basically spoke out of turn; but seemed to have no ill intent at all in this situation. I actually think this is a non story and for sure the Red Sox should not have commented on this situation.

Schilling derangement syndrome

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭✭

@Mickey71 said:

This.

His podcast isnt even that big. The media, the Red Sox, and some former player wives are what made this a story.

No chance the reaction is the same if this was Ted Williams that said it even though it was said in a respectful way

• Options

I don't understand the attitude on this thread that it's just ok to betray a friend's trust, if the Wakefields said they didn't want this to be made public then that's what they meant. It doesn't matter if his heart was in the right place or not, your friend asked you not to share his cancer diagnosis with the public, so you respect his wishes. It doesn't matter if it's Yaz or anyone else, it's wrong, they didn't want it made public. I don't follow Curt Schilling so I have no opinion on him one way or another, but I do know you don't betray a friend's trust, especially concerning something this serious.

• Options
    4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I don't understand the attitude on this thread that it's just ok to betray a friend's trust, if the Wakefields said they didn't want this to be made public then that's what they meant. It doesn't matter if his heart was in the right place or not, your friend asked you not to share his cancer diagnosis with the public, so you respect his wishes.

I think everyone realizes that DD.

Also I think level headed people understand this is a matter between Tim and Curt to sort out.

It’s not a matter between Variteks wife, you, I or any other media outlet to discuss. If Tim really wants this private and not discussed, then even you and I talking about it goes against his wishes.

Let him and Curt sort it out.
    I will respect Tim’s wishes by not reading another article on the matter again, because anyone who chooses to write one is being disrespectful.

I’ll also be praying for the family.

Forum members on ignore
    Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
    daltex

• Options

@4for4 said:

@doubledragon said:
    I don't understand the attitude on this thread that it's just ok to betray a friend's trust, if the Wakefields said they didn't want this to be made public then that's what they meant. It doesn't matter if his heart was in the right place or not, your friend asked you not to share his cancer diagnosis with the public, so you respect his wishes.

I think everyone realizes that DD.

Also I think level headed people understand this is a matter between Tim and Curt to sort out.

It’s not a matter between Variteks wife, you, I or any other media outlet to discuss. If Tim really wants this private and not discussed, then even you and I talking about it goes against his wishes.

Let him and Curt sort it out.
    I will respect Tim’s wishes by not reading another article on the matter again, because anyone who chooses to write one is being disrespectful.

I’ll also be praying for the family.

I hear you brother, I'm done with it, thoughts and prayers for the Wakefields.

• Options
    edited September 30, 2023 3:31AM

@doubledragon said:
    I don't understand the attitude on this thread that it's just ok to betray a friend's trust, if the Wakefields said they didn't want this to be made public then that's what they meant.

Forgot to mention that I’m not sure if Schilling heard from anyone that this was the Wakefields wishes.

I’ll put it this way.
    If Tim or Doug told Curt the sad news and told him to never tell anyone, and Curt hearing that from either Doug or Tim went ahead and said it anyway then you have this situation. The situation is a betrayal of a friend resulting in multitudes of people saying prayers for the Wakefields.

if Curt knew Tim said don’t share, which we don’t know for sure, then perhaps he reasoned that God hearing many prayers on Tim’s behalf is more important then him being hated by many, possibly even Tim. That’s a stretch, but I can’t see Curt betraying a friend for ratings, because if that’s the case, and I nor anyone can judge Curt’s heart, then it’s a whole different animal.

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• Options

@4for4 said:

if Curt knew Tim said don’t share, which we don’t know for sure, >

This is has been brought up a number of times. Except, we do know for sure. Curt's exact quote was: "This is not a message that Tim has asked anyone to share, and I don’t even know if he wants it shared.”

@4for4 said:
    perhaps he reasoned that God hearing many prayers on Tim’s behalf is more important then him being hated by many, possibly even Tim. >

The idea that Curt's Christian faith somehow makes this understandable has also been brought up several times. I would say to Curt, and anyone making this argument on his behalf, to contemplate Matthew:6:5-8.

• Options

@GreenSneakers said:

@4for4 said:

The idea that Curt's Christian faith somehow makes this understandable has also been brought up several times. I would say to Curt, and anyone making this argument on his behalf, to contemplate Matthew:6:5-8.

Luke 5:17-26 is the proper scriptures here.

Where four men who loved a crippled man who could not walk climbed a roof and let him down slowly on a mat because of a large crowd gathered.

JC said to the four men, because of your faith your friends sins are forgiven and he was healed and able to walk again.

You found the improper scripture because of the hatred in your heart.

I correctly gave you the proper scriptures out of appreciation for two teammates who are going through a very difficult time.

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• Options

@4for4 said:

@GreenSneakers said:

@4for4 said:

Classic, telling people what "proper scripture is". I don't see the analogy of Luke. The Matthew passage teaches how to pray; what Curt did aint it. Take a read again.

@4for4 said:

appreciation for two teammates who are going through a very difficult time.

You see, two teammates aren't going through a tough time. A husband and wife are. And another teammate made it his business to publicize it

• Options

If you disagree then I’ll say JC did not command the friends with faith to leave the man and go back to their inner room and pray. He healed him right in front of them and a huge gathering with many witnesses.

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• Options

@GreenSneakers said:

@4for4 said:

@GreenSneakers said:

@4for4 said:

Classic, telling people what "proper scripture is". I don't see the analogy of Luke. The Matthew passage teaches how to pray; what Curt did aint it. Take a read again.

@4for4 said:

appreciation for two teammates who are going through a very difficult time.

You see, two teammates aren't going through a tough time. A husband and wife are. And another teammate made it his business to publicize it

You don’t see because of the hatred in your heart. Others here will understand. Sadly you can not.

You’re right. None of Tim’s former teammates are heartbroken.
    Wow. Just more evidence of your lack of love and understanding.

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• Options

Somehow you see “being heart broken” as an excuse to publicize someone else’s private medical issues. That is simply wrong.

I absolutely have understanding and empathy. It is, however, directed at the Wakefields rather than Schilling.

• Options

@GreenSneakers said:
    Somehow you see “being heart broken” as an excuse to publicize someone else’s private medical issues.

I see that false accusations are in your hatred Arsenal also.

No where did I condone what Curt did.

Please show me where I did.

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• Options

I think green sneakers that it would be much healthier for you to let this go and go enjoy all the good things life has to offer.

Like Joebanzai and applejacks said, due to the hatred in this thread I’m done here too.

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• Options

@4for4 said:

@GreenSneakers said:
    Somehow you see “being heart broken” as an excuse to publicize someone else’s private medical issues.

I see that false accusations are in your hatred Arsenal also.

No where did I condone what Curt did.

Please show me where I did.

I did not say you condoned it. I said you made in excuse for it. In your second post on this thread, you wrote "then perhaps he reasoned that God hearing many prayers on Tim’s behalf is more important". That is an excuse for doing the wrong thing.

• Options
    edited October 1, 2023 4:24AM

@4for4 said:
    I think green sneakers that it would be much healthier for you to let this go and go enjoy all the good things life has to offer.

Like Joebanzai and applejacks said, due to the hatred in this thread I’m done here too.

I hope you enjoy life, too, 4for4. I will lastly point out the only person I have expressed vitriol toward is Curt Schilling, while you several times made it personal saying I have a "hatred arsenal" and "hate in my heart", all while you have a list of people to ignore in your footer.

• Options
    edited September 30, 2023 7:15AM

+1

Thought I'd get in a cheat post before the lock. 😉

• Options
    erbaerba Posts: 285 ✭✭✭✭

@GreenSneakers said:

@4for4 said:

I hope you enjoy life, too, 4for4. I will lastly point out the only person I have expressed vitriol toward is Curt Schilling, while you several times made it personal saying I have a "hatred arsenal" and "hate in my heart", while you have a list of people to ignore in your footer.

That's because 4for4 a fraud. He was kicked off the board under his old name when he made a racist comment about Jim Brown.

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭✭

Look, just pray for Tim and stop criticizing Curt as it does not affect the cancer.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GreenSneakers said:
    Curt's exact quote was: "This is not a message that Tim has asked anyone to share, and I don’t even know if he wants it shared.”

And this quote says it all. If you don't KNOW it's OK to share someone else's medical info, you're a jackass if you go ahead and share it.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's not forget prayers for the Wakefield children. An awful circumstance has fallen upon them as well

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

wow, how has this thread stayed open all day...

• Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2023 8:33PM

@Tabe said:

@GreenSneakers said:
    Curt's exact quote was: "This is not a message that Tim has asked anyone to share, and I don’t even know if he wants it shared.”

And this quote says it all. If you don't KNOW it's OK to share someone else's medical info, you're a jackass if you go ahead and share it.

This may be a correct assessment.

However, I could see that Curt's quote could be in reference to asking for prayers only. Not everyone wants to have prayers sent their way.

It does not preclude the concept that Schilling thought the cancer diagnoses were public.

There's just not enough information to come to the conclusion that Schilling was purposefully spreading information which he was told to keep confidential or was thought to be confidential.

That said, perhaps if Schilling had put more thought into it, he may have decided to not say anything at that time.

One time, I was talking to a spouse of a co-worker about something they had done which I was contemplating doing. I referenced something that their spouse had made quite public in the office, which was relatively small. However, I don't know if she knew it had been made public. It's been twenty five years and I still think about it every once in a while.

To her, I probably was an a-hole and she probably gave her husband some grief about it. For my part, I was too absorbed with the information I needed and discounted the potential sensitivities involved. While it was just a blip of nothing in the grand scheme of things, I do regret the way I handled it.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@georgebailey2 said:

@Tabe said:

@GreenSneakers said:

This may be a correct assessment.

However, I could see that Curt's quote could be in reference to asking for prayers only. Not everyone wants to have prayers sent their way.

It does not preclude the concept that Schilling thought the cancer diagnoses were public.

There's just not enough information to come to the conclusion that Schilling was purposefully spreading information which he was told to keep confidential or was thought to be confidential.

That's a lot of contortions to try and defend Schilling. He literally said he didn't know if it was OK to share. There's no way his quote is in reference to the prayers only. How would that make ANY sense? "I have 100% confirmation it's OK to tell people about his cancer but I'm not sure I'm allowed to ask people to say a prayer for him"? C'mon.

Lemme be clear again: Schilling himself said he wasn't sure it was OK to share. That means it's NOT OK to share. Period.

• Options

I know it is cliche, but discretion is the better part of valor.

if your not sure, just dont say anything