Options

.336, 41 HR, 104 RBI, 70 SB

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

and no one here is talking about Acuña?

what an incontrovertibly sick season this kid is having

Comments

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

An incredible season. Hoping the Braves can finish it off with another title.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beast mode

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

hey @LandrysFedora

you gettin' this one....

laters....
    :)

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭✭

It is an incredible season but the SB bases have to be considered on an entirely different level now. The base paths were shortened, theres a pitch clock, pick offs are limited etc. I'm actually more surprised that someone hasnt swiped a 100 this year. If Acuna didnt hit so many homeruns he probably would have over a 100

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:
    It is an incredible season but the SB bases have to be considered on an entirely different level now. The base paths were shortened, theres a pitch clock, pick offs are limited etc. I'm actually more surprised that someone hasnt swiped a 100 this year. If Acuna didnt hit so many homeruns he probably would have over a 100

I doubt the shortened base path - which amounts to about 4.5" - has had much effect. No question the other stuff has had an effect though - 1000 more SBs in the majors this year vs 2022 with basically an identical number of CS. And it definitely shows up in Acuna's numbers - his previous career-high was a league-leading 37 a few years ago.

• Options
    edited September 28, 2023 7:12PM

@Tabe said:

@Basebal21 said:

I doubt the shortened base path - which amounts to about 4.5" - has had much effect. No question the other stuff has had an effect though - 1000 more SBs in the majors this year vs 2022 with basically an identical number of CS. And it definitely shows up in Acuna's numbers - his previous career-high was a league-leading 37 a few years ago.

The 4.5 inches is often the difference between safe or out for guys that are good at stealing bases. Dont forget its really more than that with the oven mits guys can wear. I'm a fan of the oven mits that help guys not break their wrist or fingers, granted those have been around for a while. Combining those with the shortened base paths you basically have to throw someone out by close to a foot now compared to the past.

I do think the CS numbers will come down in the future as we have some guys trying to steal more that probably shouldnt be doing it as much testing the new settings. Theres guys like Pena in Houston who are 13 for 22, Call in Washington whose 9 for 17, Arozarena 22 for 32, Hays 10 for 16 in PItt etc. Theres a lot of guys running a lot more than they would have without great rates. Those are some of the bigger names besides Call. but theres a lot of guys that are like 3 for 5 or 5 for 5 type thing that are running up the CS numbers. The good base stealers are running up numbers with low catch rates, If Abrams gets on base its basically a double, Turner is 30 for 30. They were always good base stealers but not to this extent

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, 4.5" is significant. so many SB attempts are close plays. plus with the other advantages mentioned above.

70 is a big number, but it is "watered down" compared to years past.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

Acuna has had an amazing season though. minus Ohtani, is he the best baseball has to offer right now?

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    Acuna has had an amazing season though. minus Ohtani, is he the best baseball has to offer right now?

I thought Tatis was going to have a Mammoth season but his numbers are nothing g co.pated to Acuna

Tatis, Carrol, De LA Cruz, are a few guys I think could be elite at sine point

• Options

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

I thought Tatis was going to have a Mammoth season but his numbers are nothing g co.pated to Acuna

I was thinking the same about De la cruz, but man, did he sure cool off after a hot start. I hold out hope that he will be the second coming of eric davis though! guy is crazy talented.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

The SD clubhouse and roster is just a dumpster fire. You have Hader refusing to go into games because hes a free agent, Soto out for himself etc just bad overall roster construction. Melvin as the manager comes from a philosophy of never stealing which probably limited his attempts. He should have a monster year one of these years if he stays healthy.