Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
daltex

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Walker was a beast but benefited from playing in Coors

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would personally take Walker. Got on base more and hit with much more power.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

Walker much better.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the game is in Colorado I’ll take Walker but any other mlb stadium I’ll take Gwynn. And actually Gwynn hit .360 in Colorado so he would be a good choice there also.

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

With a game on the line and 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th and the team needs a hit I take Gwynn every day.

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭

@LandrysFedora said:
    With a game on the line and 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th and the team needs a hit I take Gwynn every day.

I always see on social media these so called 'cool' stats that relate to Tony Gwynn not striking out and they blow those meaningless stats out of proportion.

In that same vein, you know a really cool stat in relation to this statement here:

With two outs and Runners in Scoring Position for their careers, pitchers got Tony Gwynn out 55.4% of the time.
    With two outs and Runners in Scoring Position for their careers, pitchers got Mark McGwire out 54% of the time.

Yup, pitchers were more likely to get out of that jam facing Gwynn than they were Mcgwire.

Add that McGwire had a 1.056 OPS to Gwynn's .911 in that split, then you see that McGwire created more runs and wins with his bat than Gwynn in not only this split, but also easily overall.

I know the question was about Gwynn and Walker, but I keep seeing these posts saying that Gwynn is second best hitter to Ted Williams because Gwynn's batting average and strikeouts....and Gwynn wasn't even as remotely as good a hitter as McGwire.

• Options

We don’t count roid boys swellR

• Options

No one ANYWHERE believes Gwynn was the second best hitter to Ted Williams.

Joe DiMaggio is a guy who seldom gets mentioned, but he hit for a high average and good power. Until his final year Joe had more home runs than strikeouts. Gwynn struck out more than 3 times for every HR.

Mark "The Mutant" McGwire needn't be mentioned in the same breath as these guys, until he juiced up, he had a great rookie year and then sucked. Without steroids he wouldn't have been as good as Rob Deer.
    Ignoring his 18 games played in 1986, Mutant hit an average of 29 HR a year for his next 8 seasons.
    After he started juicing he averaged 51 HR a year and his SLG went up by 158 points.
    His HR per 162 games after mutating was 64!
    These cheaters should never be compared to the actual human beings who played the game.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2023 7:44AM

@JoeBanzai said:
    No one ANYWHERE believes Gwynn was the second best hitter to Ted Williams.

Joe DiMaggio is a guy who seldom gets mentioned, but he hit for a high average and good power. Until his final year Joe had more home runs than strikeouts. Gwynn struck out more than 3 times for every HR.

Mark "The Mutant" McGwire needn't be mentioned in the same breath as these guys, until he juiced up, he had a great rookie year and then sucked. Without steroids he wouldn't have been as good as Rob Deer.
    Ignoring his 18 games played in 1986, Mutant hit an average of 29 HR a year for his next 8 seasons.
    After he started juicing he averaged 51 HR a year and his SLG went up by 158 points.
    His HR per 162 games after mutating was 64!
    These cheaters should never be compared to the actual human beings who played the game.

Joe, I see people post it all the time that Gwynn is second to Williams. I never comment or reply to them as that is a nowhere street with that type of viewpoint, but they are out there. Some guy the other day even put Ichiro third behind Gwynn. A lot of the posts are from the same page where 4for4 would get his comparisons that he put on here.

• Options

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:

@LandrysFedora said:

I always see on social media these so called 'cool' stats that relate to Tony Gwynn not striking out and they blow those meaningless stats out of proportion.

In that same vein, you know a really cool stat in relation to this statement here:

With two outs and Runners in Scoring Position for their careers, pitchers got Tony Gwynn out 55.4% of the time.
    With two outs and Runners in Scoring Position for their careers, pitchers got Mark McGwire out 54% of the time.

Yup, pitchers were more likely to get out of that jam facing Gwynn than they were Mcgwire.

Add that McGwire had a 1.056 OPS to Gwynn's .911 in that split, then you see that McGwire created more runs and wins with his bat than Gwynn in not only this split, but also easily overall.

I know the question was about Gwynn and Walker, but I keep seeing these posts saying that Gwynn is second best hitter to Ted Williams because Gwynn's batting average and strikeouts....and Gwynn wasn't even as remotely as good a hitter as McGwire.

Mcgwire was an EXTREMELY underrated offensive player. he was super productive. Yes, Gwynn had a superior BA, but Mac got on base a whole lot more.

People forget that the 2 most important things a hitter can do is get on base and hit with power. Mac got on base more than Gwynn and hit with worlds more power.

Oh yeah, Walker was better than Tony too.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@LandrysFedora said:

Mcgwire was an EXTREMELY underrated offensive player. he was super productive. Yes, Gwynn had a superior BA, but Mac got on base a whole lot more.

People forget that the 2 most important things a hitter can do is get on base and hit with power. Mac got on base more than Gwynn and hit with worlds more power.

Craig if McGwire was that good then why isn’t he in the hall of fame?
    He’s been eligible since 2007 I believe. Oh yeah I just remembered, sasquatches aren’t the same species as us so there is some debate as to whether they should be allowed in the hall of fame. Folks with a little common sense don’t compare their stats with a humans’ and put them on a level basis. I think it would be fine to compare Sasquatch stats to an Almasty, or a Yeti to a Yowie or Wendigo but any of these creatures to a human is simply frowned upon.

Also Gwynn and Walker were very similar when you get Walker away from Colorado.

• Options

@Darin said:

@craig44 said:

@LandrysFedora said:

Craig if McGwire was that good then why isn’t he in the hall of fame?
    He’s been eligible since 2007 I believe. Oh yeah I just remembered, sasquatches aren’t the same species as us so there is some debate as to whether they should be allowed in the hall of fame. Folks with a little common sense don’t compare their stats with a humans’ and put them on a level basis. I think it would be fine to compare Sasquatch stats to an Almasty, or a Yeti to a Yowie or Wendigo but any of these creatures to a human is simply frowned upon.

Also Gwynn and Walker were very similar when you get Walker away from Colorado.

It is because some voters are still hung up on some kinds of PED. He will eventually get in, as he should be, and years in the future baseball fans will wonder what we were all wound up about. It will be an era like any other.

When Mac did PED, it was NOT against the rules of MLB. he had been retired for 5 seasons by the time it was against the rules and testing began.

And Mac was that good. check out his OPS+ and OPS numbers. he really was a phenom.

• Options

If anyone (ha, ha, no one will) bothers to look at Walker's numbers more closely, they will see he can't really be defined by his home/away numbers. I looked at his numbers on the road each year at the individual parks and came to the conclusion that it really wasn't Coors Field that did it.
    He crushed the ball in pitchers parks (sometimes) and hit poorly in hitters parks (sometimes), what he did was hit at home more consistently. He hit pretty well in STL as an old man as well.
    The numbers are the numbers though, on average, he hit worse on the road.

I really like Gwynn, but he is vastly over rated unless you focus on BA and only that. That's also fine, it just doesn't show enough.

Yes, I would take Gwynn in the bottom of the 9th needing a single to win the game. In just about every other single situation, I'm taking Walker.

McGwire was NOTHING without steroids, look at his career, one good year, the pitchers figured him out, his career was basically over, he juiced, he suddenly started crushing the ball, F him.
    At least Bonds was good before he mutated.