Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1982 1C Zync 2.5g grade?

We have been spending a month reviewing my deceased father in laws coin collection. We have one 1982 1C 2.5g Memorials and are curious as to opinions of those on the boards that can give an honest opinion. Photos attached. Thanks for your input.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's worth 1c. Spend it.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a decent example for use in an album, but the corrosion spots on the reverse of the coin make this coin a poor candidate for grading imo.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately I agree with the previous posters. This has very small value. Either good for an album, or you can just spend it. No real numismatic value worth trying to sell it.

New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • Options

My apologies but I realized I uploaded the wrong photos. This is the 1982 1C SD zinc I was asking about. Please look and comment. Thank you.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    It is a decent example for use in an album, but the corrosion spots on the reverse of the coin make this coin a poor candidate for grading imo.

Even without the areas you mentioned, the quality of the coin isn’t nearly good enough to merit the cost of grading.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just my 2c, but you have 2c. Spend it.

• Options

Thanks for your help. Not sure what to do with the thousands of Pennie’s we have from the 1930’s through current.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Popsy38 said:
    Thanks for your help. Not sure what to do with the thousands of Pennie’s we have from the 1930’s through current.

Wheat cents can be sold by the pound, number, or roll on ebay. I sold 50 pounds once and shipped in a flat rate box, super taped up... got there safe and sound. Sure got rid of a bunch I had laying around cluttering up my office! Just do a search on ebay for what you want to sell.

bob :)
    vegas baby!

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:

@Popsy38 said:

Wheat cents can be sold by the pound, number, or roll on ebay. I sold 50 pounds once and shipped in a flat rate box, super taped up... got there safe and sound. Sure got rid of a bunch I had laying around cluttering up my office! Just do a search on ebay for what you want to sell.

bob :)
    vegas baby!

Wheat cents are $200+ per $50 bag these days.

• Options

@Popsy38 said:

Depends on what they are. What cents are around 4 cents each in volume. Respectfully, if you spent time with the two coins you posted here, you lack the knowledge to sort and sell them yourself. You can learn, but you're going to have to learn to love the process.

Bulk coins like that are generally not high value coins. They were likely bought in bulk and will need to be sold in bulk.

The most efficient way to do it is to find a trustworthy dealer and just sell them as is. Be prepared for them to tell you to take the modern verbs to a coin star.

• Options
    NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭

These are going to be a tough sell. Realistically if they are not literally exceptional condition they are worth a few cents a piece IF you can find someone to buy the quantity. @jmlanzaf is a person who knows and has given very correct advice.

New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • Options

Thank you all for the replys.

@jmlanzaf you are correct we do not have the knowledge but we are trying to learn. My father saved every penny he got from the time he met my mother so there are thousands after almost 60 years of marriage.

We appreciate everyone’s expertise and I am sure we will get excited about another coin that we shouldn’t.

Thanks again

• Options

@Popsy38 said:
    Thank you all for the replys.

@jmlanzaf you are correct we do not have the knowledge but we are trying to learn. My father saved every penny he got from the time he met my mother so there are thousands after almost 60 years of marriage.

We appreciate everyone’s expertise and I am sure we will get excited about another coin that we shouldn’t.

Thanks again

As long as you enjoy the journey, keep looking. While it is unlikely that you find anything rare, you never know until you look.

I recently had a chance to buy a similar accumulation of 500,000 cents. I passed even though I could buy them at face value and they were 10% wheat cents. It was simply not worth my time or effort. But some people enjoy the search.

Good luck!

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your coin would have to grade at least a 66 before you can even conside covering the grading fees. Not really a good example because of the spotting and the weaker strike.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file