Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Where To Find Detailed Census Information for National Banknotes?

Auction houses will often list a banknote with a description saying something like "The only 1882 $5 Date Back reported from this bank" or "The highest grade 1929 Type 1 $10 for this bank." Where do they get this kind of detailed census information?

I have the sixth edition of Don C. Kelly's "National Bank Notes" book, but it gives only high level "5 large 16 small" type census information.

The PMG Population Report is interesting, but it appears to not be broken down by individual banks.

I'm aware of the National Bank Note Census (NBNC) web site, but they want $100/yr for access, and I'd hate to spend the money if it won't give me what I want.

I'm also aware of the National Bank Note Census web site through the Society of Paper Money Collectors (SPMC), but they want $20/year and, again, I'd hate to spend the money if it won't give me what I want.

So, what do YOU use for detailed census information on national banknotes?

Comments

• Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe Heritage has dedicated auction writers with multiple research tools at their disposal. Their own detailed archives, Track and Price, the National Bank Note Census, the PMG population report and several more including their own notations. Writing a good auction description can be a work of art.

• As mentioned prior here, track and price is a great place for detailed info. And yes, It will show you , ex. Only 1882 $5 brown back, or finest 1882 $5 BB. Etc

Also, you may not realize it , but your 2008 kelly has a cd in the back where the (ex.) 5 lg and 22 sm are broken down......

If your going to do nationals,

GET TRACK AND PRICE!!!

It can save you , or pay for itself with one note!!!

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Track and Price is often the source for this information but, as Steve says, good researchers will use multiple tools. I use Track and Price.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Also, you may not realize it , but your 2008 kelly has a cd in the back where the (ex.) 5 lg and 22 sm are broken down......

Sigh. I bought the book used and on the cheap. Alas, no CD. I guess it's time to pay the money for a new and complete copy.

• Thanks, everyone! I was unaware of Track and Price, but I will check it out now.

• 2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe Heritage has dedicated auction writers with multiple research tools at their disposal. Their own detailed archives, Track and Price, the National Bank Note Census, the PMG population report and several more including their own notations. Writing a good auction description can be a work of art.

That is correct. Also, I have to point out that the annual dues payment to SPMC of $20 gives you access to, not only the National Bank Note info, but also online access to over 60 years worth of articles published in all of the back issues of Paper Money journal - you won't find a better deal out there.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Is nbncenus.com still an active site? I tried to renew my subscription when it ran out two years ago and get error messages when trying to pay with credit card or paypal. I even tried creating a new account and that didn't work either. I've sent at least half a dozen emails that have gone unanswered. It would be a shame if the census is actually abandoned.

• Ted 1Ted 1 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭

Someone tell me if nbn census has 3 or 4 large known for charter #10387.

It needs to be at 3 known, as one of the serial #'s reported is too high.

Track and Price did the edit, thankfully.

Rare Nationals &
    Lowball Sacagawea Dollars (PO01-VF35)

--- SUCCESSFUL BST TRANSACTIONS ---
    braddick, Omegaraptor, JWP, EagleScout2017, OAKSTAR, Twobitcollector, boxerdad, OKCC, Fancycashcom, JimW, MWallace, Tookybandit, TeacherCollector, jeffas1974, mainejoe, kansasman, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Soldi, Histman, CurrenSee, jclovescoins, Outhaul, Timbuk3, LEMONHEAD_PENNY, daverickey, Maxcrusha, RedSeals
  • Can ANYONE access the NBN census at nbncensus.com?

Can ANYONE access the NBN census at nbncensus.com?

I can.

@2ndCharter said:

I can.

If able, can I gather some info? I want to make sure track & price isn't too far off.

Ch 10387.

Rare Nationals &

braddick, Omegaraptor, JWP, EagleScout2017, OAKSTAR, Twobitcollector, boxerdad, OKCC, Fancycashcom, JimW, MWallace, Tookybandit, TeacherCollector, jeffas1974, mainejoe, kansasman, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Soldi, Histman, CurrenSee, jclovescoins, Outhaul, Timbuk3, LEMONHEAD_PENNY, daverickey, Maxcrusha, RedSeals

@Ted 1 said:

@2ndCharter said:

I can.

If able, can I gather some info? I want to make sure track & price isn't too far off.

Ch 10387.

and.. Thank you.

Rare Nationals &

• @2ndCharter said:

I can.

How are you renewing your membership? I've been trying to renew for the past two years.

Even an email that is monitored would be helpful. The email on nbncensus website and to Andrew directly have been unanswered.

Thanks

• Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s unfortunate, but whatever’s been going on at the NBN Census website has been going on for literally years. I would have thought it would have been straightened out by now.

Charter 10387 - all on the McFarland title - shows three large and 11 small. Six of the small are from a cut serial number 1 $5 sheet. Hope that helps.

As far as the NBN Census, I do have an advantage - you see, I've cataloged for Heritage for the past 16 years so they take care of my subscriptions for NBNC, T&P, the Green Sheet, etc. As far as the problems go with the NBN Census, I just email my boss if I have an issue and he takes care of it.

Terrific. I have one of the 3 known!

Thank you

@2ndCharter said:
    Charter 10387 - all on the McFarland title - shows three large and 11 small. Six of the small are from a cut serial number 1 $5 sheet. Hope that helps.

As far as the NBN Census, I do have an advantage - you see, I've cataloged for Heritage for the past 16 years so they take care of my subscriptions for NBNC, T&P, the Green Sheet, etc. As far as the problems go with the NBN Census, I just email my boss if I have an issue and he takes care of it.

Rare Nationals &