Home U.S. Coin Forum

BQ collector seeks comments from Bust Half nuts

I recently acquired a bust quarter that has some arcing die breaks. I haven't seen this type of break before on quarters. There seems to be quite a few in the halves. My question is a toning streak seems to cover the die cracks which makes it more difficult to see them. Also it appears to have parallel cracks at times. Was wondering if this type of toning is found on the halves with the arcing die breaks. Thanks Dave

Comments

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2023 1:41PM

Does not look like a die break to me. Looks like something was pressed into the surface of the coin.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2023 2:07PM

That looks a metal detector recovered coin that was sandwiched between other coins. Another quarter on the reverse and probably a dime on the obv.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

My spidey sense is saying water salvage. But that's just me.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken oih82w8

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2023 3:47PM

I see a circular (curved, sometimes we call it "concentric") die crack above Ms. Liberty's cap on all three of the 1818 quarters on CoinFacts.
    Is this what you mean by "arcing"?

Or did you mean the possible radial die crack between S O on the reverse?

• @yosclimber said:

I see a circular (curved, sometimes we call it "concentric") die crack above Ms. Liberty's cap on all three of the 1818 quarters on CoinFacts.
    Is this what you mean by "arcing"?

Or did you mean the possible radial die crack between S O on the reverse?

I guess I meant radial die Crack the Crack runs around the reverse along all the letters except the c and a in America. Sorry about the poor pictures. Also from the cap thru the stars on the obverse on the right

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2023 4:28PM

Actually radial is a straight crack in the direction from the center to the edge.

This looks like a radial die crack to me.
    But sometimes a raised line of metal can be caused by a scratch.
    The word "radial" may seem a little confusing, because people might think of radial tires these days.
    But it really means the radius of a circle, a line that goes from the center to the edge.

Concentric is a curved crack, like the circles in a target.

• Okay I'm talking about a concentric crack around the reverse of this B-3 quarter. I guess I seen the concentric crack many times on the obverse of a B-2 piece. The obverse on this B-3 also has a concentric die crack from the cap thru stars 8-10. The radial crack between the S and O was the reason I bought the coin because I needed that die state. Thanks for letting me know the difference on what each kind of crack is called

• marmacmarmac Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭

What’s going on above/around star 7, clashing? At first glance I thought B-2 with clash

• I believe it's a clash mark from an olive leaf. There's another above miss liberty's cap

• BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bustquarterhound said:
    I believe it's a clash mark from an olive leaf. There's another above miss liberty's cap

Agreed, clashes and cracks. Unfortunately looks like a ground find.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • marmacmarmac Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭

Cool example, hopefully some better pictures are on the horizon, I will have to add clashed B-3 to hunting lists-

• scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are these concentric cracks listed as a known die state for B3? Off the top of my head I can't remember and don't have books handy.

• jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 873 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never seen that type of toning on a bust half before. If there was an example, it was probably cleaned off at one point because it is so distracting.

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you" Matthew 6:33. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.
    BHNC #AN-10
    JRCS #1606

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file